• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Assuming parents are SJs?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why assume? That's what tests are for.

I know one of my parents is an ESFJ (tested). The other was probably xSTP - definitely not a guardian, at any rate - they are pretty easy to identify, tbf.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
What is "almost" and what's your source?

I think it's probably over 25% but I doubt it's over 45%

Heh. And I think it's probably OVER 50 percent.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
SJ?

Yea I'm going with the over.

Theres certainly not that many NTs

SP's are the fun parents.

NPs excluding T's are the ones that sort of stand out in one way or another.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
What is "almost" and what's your source?

I think it's probably over 25% but I doubt it's over 45%

CAPT.org

This is the percentage chart I've seen most often - putting the overall percentage of SJ's in the population at around 45%, pretty close to Hmm's "almost 50%".

I think that many "parental" behaviors match up with "SJ" behavior, but I don't think that it necessarily follows that people just assume that their parents are SJ's - *especially* once you get older (adult age). I think that people often can mis-project the types of others that they don't know well (especially co-workers and other people you see in very structured environments), but your parents? Most people almost certainly, by the time they're adults, know their parents well enough to understand what "parental" behavior is natural for them, and what they may do because it works - and let's face it, a lot of stereotypical "SJ" behavior really does work well in many parenting situations (stability, consistency, etc.). That's not even going into the fact that just because someone "is" a certain type, that not every behavior and action is reflective of that.

Of course, both my parents *are* SJ's, and pretty strong ones, at that. So what do I know :p.

heart

heart on fire
So do we assume normal parental behavior to be SJ personality sometimes when it shouldn't be?

It's possible but for most people here, I doubt it.

My father was INTJ, he was tested.

My mother operated daily as a strong J, merciless about details and organization of stuff, to the point of breakdown if all the clothes don't face the same way in the closet. What you can see, hear, taste and touch is all that matters. etc. But she also had some serious problems so it's not clear if that was some shadow having taken over or what.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe it does have more to do with miscommunication between you and your parents, though of course that's been discussed to death. The tendency to believe that if they don't understand you, they must be a very different type.

That is, after all, what Personality-Type systems try to illustrate in the first place. The same thing, but in reverse: "they are a very different type, which is why they have trouble understanding you."

I've usually gotten along well with my parents, and I'm pretty sure they're both Sensors.

Last edited:

heart

heart on fire
Why assume? That's what tests are for.

If they are dead or they refuse to take the test then all that's left is assumption.

My MIL won't take even the online tests. She says people will get your juju if they know too much about you.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
LOL! thx for the realitycheck Hmm :)

Didn't know that ENFP's were that common and ESTP's that few.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Do we assume too much that parents are SJs?

It is true that SJs are more common in society than the other 3 Temperaments. Most people think of SJs as "Guardians", so they naturally seem like a parental kind of figure, or some kind of guiding hand.

But parents are parents, and there are certain things that they either have to do or are expected to do, right? Things that would make them seem SJ.

So do we assume normal parental behavior to be SJ personality sometimes when it shouldn't be?
Too much SJ is an abuse.
Too little SJ is a neglect.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp

It is true that SJs are more common in society than the other 3 Temperaments. Most people think of SJs as "Guardians", so they naturally seem like a parental kind of figure, or some kind of guiding hand.

But parents are parents, and there are certain things that they either have to do or are expected to do, right? Things that would make them seem SJ.

I bet you're right. Perhaps a lot of it has to do with what Keirsey says is the parent-child kind of relationship that many SJ "Guardians" tend to have with others regardless of their age. I always felt that the SJs in my life were parental in some way to me, regardless of their age or our actual relationship. My ISTJ older sister was a "second mother" to me, and I doubt that had anything to do with our actual 3-year age difference, because I certainly don't think I would have felt parental had I been the older one. I think also when you become a parent or act in lieu of a parent, because you are responsible for the child's well-being, you're almost compelled to develop the "parental" behavior traits that match with the SJ temperament description.

I've certainly noticed that with regards to my job. I'm expected to show logistical intelligence and be concerned with the safety of the children in the library I work at. I'm a children's librarian and I do a lot of programming for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and grade school kids. This means when I plan and present these programs, I have to do typically "Guardian-like" things that don't come naturally to me. It's required of me because that's what people want and expect of anyone who works with kids. I'm not normally tuned in to whether an activity kids are doing is "safe" or not (and some parents expect extreme precautions to be taken!), and so I've had to make myself become aware of that for the sake of the parents. I'm also not normally very good at planning the logistics of an event, but I've had to develop that skill in myself. What I have learned in the 10 years I've been doing programs for kids is that if I don't pay attention to details of safety and logistics, parents notice the lack, and they very well may decide not to come to library events in the future.

I think anyone who works with kids is expected (required?) to get good at the kinds of things Guardians are naturally good at, and as a result, I find myself mimicking my SJ coworkers' behavior sometimes in an attempt to learn from them and adapt my natural style to include some of their strengths.

And yet, there are obvious differences between the SJs and myself in terms of our overall style of programming and interacting with children. I'm very comfortable with improvising, and changing plans at a second's notice, and I prefer a style of interacting that allows me to do that, whereas I notice that my coworkers would prefer not to have to improvise at all, if at all possible.

Sarah

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
First off, I grew up knowing about the MBTI and have been using it since I was like 6..and I always use to tell me dad he was being like an SJ, even though he's an ENFP, and he'd always tell me that in order to keep a family going, and to keep it healthy, he has do act like that. In other words, its a natural responsibility for parents to "act" like SJs, if you will, to sustain a healthy living environment. Some may argue with me, but I think that most, if not all parents, whether or not they're of the SJ category, possess some SJ qualities that they apply to their family environments.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I have personally never made this connection... To me NF's seem like the parental stereotype. I bet SJ's would only read stories to their kids if it was in some kind of social norm or the law. :jew:

(just kidding)

Unique

I got my whole family to take mbti tests and confirm it was them with some laughs about truths in the mbti descriptions

I have one SJ parent (Dad) my mother is an NF

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
That makes me wonder what an NF vs. SJ parent is like. It seems like NT/SP aren't for parenting, but NF and SJ seem made for it.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
You don't have to act SJ to be a good parent, that's just what SJs tell us.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It might be great to have an SJ parent if they don't think their ENFP child is a strange alien.

It really depends what you think the ultimate goal of parenting is if you think people have to "act SJ" to "act like" a parent.

Qre:us

My dad is an ESTJ (not taken the test - he's got too many ESTJ-daily-life stuff to worry about than waste time on personality tests)

My mama is the cutest INFP ever! :heart: She couldn't be an SJ even if she tried (those occasional moments when she stops dreaming and comes out to play). She took the test, and have become fascinated with personality types now....like a true INFP. ;)

*aside - if I'm on the computer playing around with personality stuff, she doesn't like me reading the descriptions of INFP out loud to her, if my dad is around. LOL.