User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Do we assume too much that parents are SJs?

It is true that SJs are more common in society than the other 3 Temperaments. Most people think of SJs as "Guardians", so they naturally seem like a parental kind of figure, or some kind of guiding hand.

But parents are parents, and there are certain things that they either have to do or are expected to do, right? Things that would make them seem SJ.

So do we assume normal parental behavior to be SJ personality sometimes when it shouldn't be?
    Too much SJ is an abuse.
    Too little SJ is a neglect.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Wikipedia. Myers-Briggs Type Indicator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ISFJ -13.8%
    ESFJ -12.3%
    ISTJ -11.6%
    ISFP -8.8%
    ESTJ -8.7%
    ESFP -8.5%
    ENFP -8.1%
    ISTP -5.4%
    ESTP -4.3%
    INFP -4.3%
    INTP -3.3%
    ENTP -3.2%
    ENFJ -2.4%
    INTJ -2.1%
    ENTJ -1.8%
    INFJ -1.5%
    Wow. That 46.4% SJ!

MBTI
    isfp

It is true that SJs are more common in society than the other 3 Temperaments. Most people think of SJs as "Guardians", so they naturally seem like a parental kind of figure, or some kind of guiding hand.

But parents are parents, and there are certain things that they either have to do or are expected to do, right? Things that would make them seem SJ.

So do we assume normal parental behavior to be SJ personality sometimes when it shouldn't be?

I bet you're right. Perhaps a lot of it has to do with what Keirsey says is the parent-child kind of relationship that many SJ "Guardians" tend to have with others regardless of their age. I always felt that the SJs in my life were parental in some way to me, regardless of their age or our actual relationship. My ISTJ older sister was a "second mother" to me, and I doubt that had anything to do with our actual 3-year age difference, because I certainly don't think I would have felt parental had I been the older one. I think also when you become a parent or act in lieu of a parent, because you are responsible for the child's well-being, you're almost compelled to develop the "parental" behavior traits that match with the SJ temperament description.

I've certainly noticed that with regards to my job. I'm expected to show logistical intelligence and be concerned with the safety of the children in the library I work at. I'm a children's librarian and I do a lot of programming for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and grade school kids. This means when I plan and present these programs, I have to do typically "Guardian-like" things that don't come naturally to me. It's required of me because that's what people want and expect of anyone who works with kids. I'm not normally tuned in to whether an activity kids are doing is "safe" or not (and some parents expect extreme precautions to be taken!), and so I've had to make myself become aware of that for the sake of the parents. I'm also not normally very good at planning the logistics of an event, but I've had to develop that skill in myself. What I have learned in the 10 years I've been doing programs for kids is that if I don't pay attention to details of safety and logistics, parents notice the lack, and they very well may decide not to come to library events in the future.

I think anyone who works with kids is expected (required?) to get good at the kinds of things Guardians are naturally good at, and as a result, I find myself mimicking my SJ coworkers' behavior sometimes in an attempt to learn from them and adapt my natural style to include some of their strengths.

And yet, there are obvious differences between the SJs and myself in terms of our overall style of programming and interacting with children. I'm very comfortable with improvising, and changing plans at a second's notice, and I prefer a style of interacting that allows me to do that, whereas I notice that my coworkers would prefer not to have to improvise at all, if at all possible.

Sarah

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

First off, I grew up knowing about the MBTI and have been using it since I was like 6..and I always use to tell me dad he was being like an SJ, even though he's an ENFP, and he'd always tell me that in order to keep a family going, and to keep it healthy, he has do act like that. In other words, its a natural responsibility for parents to "act" like SJs, if you will, to sustain a healthy living environment. Some may argue with me, but I think that most, if not all parents, whether or not they're of the SJ category, possess some SJ qualities that they apply to their family environments.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I have personally never made this connection... To me NF's seem like the parental stereotype. I bet SJ's would only read stories to their kids if it was in some kind of social norm or the law.

(just kidding)

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

I got my whole family to take mbti tests and confirm it was them with some laughs about truths in the mbti descriptions

I have one SJ parent (Dad) my mother is an NF

MBTI
    LoLz

That makes me wonder what an NF vs. SJ parent is like. It seems like NT/SP aren't for parenting, but NF and SJ seem made for it.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

You don't have to act SJ to be a good parent, that's just what SJs tell us.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

It might be great to have an SJ parent if they don't think their ENFP child is a strange alien.

It really depends what you think the ultimate goal of parenting is if you think people have to "act SJ" to "act like" a parent.

My dad is an ESTJ (not taken the test - he's got too many ESTJ-daily-life stuff to worry about than waste time on personality tests)

My mama is the cutest INFP ever! She couldn't be an SJ even if she tried (those occasional moments when she stops dreaming and comes out to play). She took the test, and have become fascinated with personality types now....like a true INFP.

*aside - if I'm on the computer playing around with personality stuff, she doesn't like me reading the descriptions of INFP out loud to her, if my dad is around. LOL.