User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, statistically, you're going to find more SJs. There will be a lot of parents where at least one will be SJ and it will flavor the family heavily, especially if the other parent is a "flexy" type that lets the more conclusion-minded SJ parent set policy and run the show.
    I think my father is IsTJ and my mother ISTP, and she "runs the show" (at least outside name, in practice).

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, statistically, you're going to find more SJs. There will be a lot of parents where at least one will be SJ and it will flavor the family heavily, especially if the other parent is a "flexy" type that lets the more conclusion-minded SJ parent set policy and run the show.

But there's a lot of SJ behavior that is conducive to stability. So no matter what type you are, as a parent you need to be stable, consistent, have a firm safe place for the kids to grow, have steady income, keep a routine to SOME degree -- just a host of things that fit very well with SJ-style thinking. I did well in terms of my Ti and Fe skills (I have pretty good stable consistent strategy in terms of how to approach family and work and life, and some of the disciplined tasks I hate, even just balancing a checkbook, are still endorsed by Ti thinking -- "I can't get away with not doing it"; and the sensitivity to the needs of the family and its members creates a more stable emotional environment as well)... but I cannot be as disciplined or exacting (to me) as an SJ naturally is, it really kills me after awhile.

The problem with SJ parents is that they naturally might not flex much and they'd have to be given very good reason to do so. P types will flex much more easily and will need to work on their J-ness a bit.
    Are SJs really "More common" as a whole in society? If all the studies I've seen were correct, the most common personality type would be ESFPs because that code has the most common letters..

If you mean SJs are the most common parents I would agree. SJs seem to have a more family oriented mindset. Having a wife/husband and kids would probably be high on their priorities unlike some of the other types.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Other types seem to type older people in authority positions as SJs for some reason. I've particularly noticed that some INTs seem to type any authority figure (especially ones with whom they don't get along) as SJs. I think it comes from the inability to communicate. Of course, this is often an "easy out." Saying that you cannot communicate with someone else because they are an opposing type really means you are both failing to understand each other.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Are SJs really "More common" as a whole in society?
    Statistical surveys say so, yes. The four SJ types have more people in them, total, than any of the four combined in SP, NF, or NT. SP is a close 2nd place, though, I think.
    Having a wife/husband and kids would probably be high on their priorities unlike some of the other types.
    Oh, good point! SJs may be more likely to start families in the first place. That would lead to a higher proportion of SJs as parents (maybe 55% or something) than in the total population (where stats show about 40%).
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ

I think there only are 2 types of parents that are most common. Though, in media, specifically ENTP parents seem to be some sort of salvationer or "perrect" parent. Atleast It's what the media shows, with some amount of common sence, very intelligent and different way of doing things. All in the same person.

Example: The father in the O.C series played by Peter Gallagher

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

There's no mistaking my mother for an SJ. EXFP.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Do we assume too much that parents are SJs?

It is true that SJs are more common in society than the other 3 Temperaments. Most people think of SJs as "Guardians", so they naturally seem like a parental kind of figure, or some kind of guiding hand.

But parents are parents, and there are certain things that they either have to do or are expected to do, right? Things that would make them seem SJ.

So do we assume normal parental behavior to be SJ personality sometimes when it shouldn't be?
    Hopefully whoever understands type understands there are all kinds of parents.
    My mother is an SJ.
    My father is an SP.

My mother is far from the type of parent that you describe though.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think it's possible that some people make that mistake for those reasons, but not everyone. If you factor in that SJ will be a common type for parents, plus many people here have said they have non-SJ parents, I don't think the error is extremely common, though I'm sure some people have made mistakes in this area, giving the statistics a slight bias. Not that I've studied the stats....

Neither of my parents are SJ, for the record - they're NT and NF.

edit: one thing that occurs to me is that we may bias our typing to "not-like-me" types for our parents, if we can't identify with them very much...I've noticed that many Ns here have SJ parents, and many Ss have N parents. I'm pretty sure my parents are actually N though.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Almost 50% of the U.S. population are SJ's

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Almost 50% of the U.S. population are SJ's
    What is "almost" and what's your source?

I think it's probably over 25% but I doubt it's over 45%
    I don't wanna!