User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NT and hypochondria

MBTI
    INTx
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NT and hypochondria

I am NT and, when stressed out, I am highly hypochondriac.
    Do you other NT suffer of that?
    Which types is more subject to hypochondria and wich functions are involved?
    Si? Se? At tertiary or last?
    Thanks.

Habitual Fi Linsetepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have read hypochondria as being associated with "bad" Si at times. Funny you mention this, as I have recently noticed that a new ISFJ co-worker has such an acute sensitivity to physical conditions, it's almost scary.

I don't know if there's a causal relationship to the disorder and the functions, or even a correlation.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought INFP's were the hypochondriacs.

(and me.
    i'm a hypochondriac. In the past few months alone I have had lung cancer, asthma, heart disease, HIV, colon cancer, and have been pregnant.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    SEXY
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a little bit of a hypochondriac, but I do underestimate the seriousness of health issues sometimes so it doesn't matter. It's like: "Oh, I think I have swine flu! Well, off to work!"

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I thought INFP's were the hypochondriacs.

(and me.
    i'm a hypochondriac. In the past few months alone I have had lung cancer, asthma, heart disease, HIV, colon cancer, and have been pregnant.)
    :yim_rolling_on_the_
    (removed)

Celestia Bless Equestria Array tawanda's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Post Thanks / Like

I can be. I started seeing things after not sleeping, then I thought I was schizophrenic, but I'm not. Thought I had swine flu, cancer, inflammation of the esophagus you name it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sx
    Socionics
    wtf
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Before this past year: no, never.

However, I basically got slowly poisoned by some medication I was taking (prescribed, yes) and it made me highly hypochonriac, for months... plus panic attacks and all kinds of shit you really don't want to experience because it means you can't trust your intuition (the "something is wrong!" alarm is stuck to ON) and it seems like your mind has turned on you.

However.

I kept almost all of this inside and only once or twice ended up sharing it with people (when I broke down and went to the minor emergency) because I had myself in an iron grip with Ti (my internal logic that kept checking facts, reality, against the screaming in my head that I was going to die). After months off the medication and eating a super-clean diet and avoiding stress I'm 100% back to normal but to say it sucked a whole lot is an understatement.

However, I could see hypochondria being more common to those with a strong N (maybe unhealthy Ne or Ni coupled with Si) and not strong on T.
    I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
    - Umberto Eco

INTP e9 (sx/so/sp)
    Ti = Ne (41.3) > Si (31.2) ~ Ni (31.1) ~ Te (30.1) > Se (24.1) >> Fe (21) & Fi (20.1)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Post Thanks / Like

I think hypochondria is an ENTP thing, it's really a major pain in the ass for me, though now it's hardly noticeable I've been haunted for years by hypochondriac obsessive thoughts.

It's like I consider lots of things possible, and getting ill is one of them. I don't invent an illness, it's already there, I just see it get worsened in the worst way possible. And then I start believing that I actually have it.

Jung said hypochondria is an intuition thing, mostly when you have I as primary.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I have read hypochondria as being associated with "bad" Si at times.
    Yup, Quenk covers it.

Read here.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Post Thanks / Like

It happens to me every so often. It really kicks in if I haven't had enough sleep for a long time.

If I see a scratch on my hand and it itches, I automatically have rabies and I'm going to die a horrifying, excruciating screaming death.

If I forget to wash my hands, I'll definitely get tetanus and be in the WORST PAIN IMAGINABLE as all the muscles FORCEFULLY contract and LOCK and I slowly CHOKE to death and die gagging and twitching.

If I accidentally sit on the toilet, I'm going to get AIDS and die with blue oozing sores on a sweaty hospital bed that smells like hobo.

If I itch in general, I have Norwegian Crusted Scabies and I'm COATED in a 1-inch layer of MITES ALL ACROSS MY BODY.

Or I have shingles and I'm doomed to severe shooting pain for my whole life.

If I have a rash on my arm, I clearly have FLESH EATING BACTERIA and my arm's going to swell, turn purple, then black AND FALL RIGHT OFF. And I'll be screaming and CRYING BLOOD in pain because of it.

Needless to say, I've been to an unnecessary doctor visit or two.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

Post Thanks / Like

I was a hypochondriac as a child, but I kinda grew out of it. I can see how it relates to bad Si..