• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT and hypochondria

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
I am NT and, when stressed out, I am highly hypochondriac.
Do you other NT suffer of that?
Which types is more subject to hypochondria and wich functions are involved?
Si? Se? At tertiary or last?
Thanks.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I have read hypochondria as being associated with "bad" Si at times. Funny you mention this, as I have recently noticed that a new ISFJ co-worker has such an acute sensitivity to physical conditions, it's almost scary.

I don't know if there's a causal relationship to the disorder and the functions, or even a correlation.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought INFP's were the hypochondriacs.

(and me.
i'm a hypochondriac. In the past few months alone I have had lung cancer, asthma, heart disease, HIV, colon cancer, and have been pregnant.)

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I'm just a little bit of a hypochondriac, but I do underestimate the seriousness of health issues sometimes so it doesn't matter. It's like: "Oh, I think I have swine flu! Well, off to work!"

I thought INFP's were the hypochondriacs.

(and me.
i'm a hypochondriac. In the past few months alone I have had lung cancer, asthma, heart disease, HIV, colon cancer, and have been pregnant.)

:rofl1::yim_rolling_on_the_

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can be. I started seeing things after not sleeping, then I thought I was schizophrenic, but I'm not. Thought I had swine flu, cancer, inflammation of the esophagus you name it.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Interesting. Before this past year: no, never.

However, I basically got slowly poisoned by some medication I was taking (prescribed, yes) and it made me highly hypochonriac, for months... plus panic attacks and all kinds of shit you really don't want to experience because it means you can't trust your intuition (the "something is wrong!" alarm is stuck to ON) and it seems like your mind has turned on you.

However.

I kept almost all of this inside and only once or twice ended up sharing it with people (when I broke down and went to the minor emergency) because I had myself in an iron grip with Ti (my internal logic that kept checking facts, reality, against the screaming in my head that I was going to die). After months off the medication and eating a super-clean diet and avoiding stress I'm 100% back to normal but to say it sucked a whole lot is an understatement.

However, I could see hypochondria being more common to those with a strong N (maybe unhealthy Ne or Ni coupled with Si) and not strong on T.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think hypochondria is an ENTP thing, it's really a major pain in the ass for me, though now it's hardly noticeable I've been haunted for years by hypochondriac obsessive thoughts.

It's like I consider lots of things possible, and getting ill is one of them. I don't invent an illness, it's already there, I just see it get worsened in the worst way possible. And then I start believing that I actually have it.

Jung said hypochondria is an intuition thing, mostly when you have I as primary.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It happens to me every so often. It really kicks in if I haven't had enough sleep for a long time.

If I see a scratch on my hand and it itches, I automatically have rabies and I'm going to die a horrifying, excruciating screaming death.

If I forget to wash my hands, I'll definitely get tetanus and be in the WORST PAIN IMAGINABLE as all the muscles FORCEFULLY contract and LOCK and I slowly CHOKE to death and die gagging and twitching.

If I accidentally sit on the toilet, I'm going to get AIDS and die with blue oozing sores on a sweaty hospital bed that smells like hobo.

If I itch in general, I have Norwegian Crusted Scabies and I'm COATED in a 1-inch layer of MITES ALL ACROSS MY BODY.

Or I have shingles and I'm doomed to severe shooting pain for my whole life.

If I have a rash on my arm, I clearly have FLESH EATING BACTERIA and my arm's going to swell, turn purple, then black AND FALL RIGHT OFF. And I'll be screaming and CRYING BLOOD in pain because of it.

Needless to say, I've been to an unnecessary doctor visit or two.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was a hypochondriac as a child, but I kinda grew out of it. I can see how it relates to bad Si..

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Hypochondria, how wonderfully irrational. Truly the hallmark of being human. I only fear that a similar compulsion may overtake me, one day.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Irrational yet it feels so real when it enters your consciousness.

Dyoni

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I definitely have a problem with this. I blame WebMD and their interactive 'symptom checker.'

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
I definitely have a problem with this. I blame WebMD and their interactive 'symptom checker.'

Yeah, my therapist ordered me to stay away from that.

Mine was really bad after I had my daughter, therapist said it was a form of OCD but without the physical compulsions. Checking webmd was baaad. Think it had to do with having my daughter and thinking what would happen to her if I croaked.

Therapist said only the highly intelligent were likely to think this way too :happy2:

I can still have bouts of it, but as soon as I start to think I go to somewhere else to get my mind out of that thought pattern.

Dyoni

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
...therapist said it was a form of OCD but without the physical compulsions.

That makes sense. I have moderate OCD, too. It got so bad for me that I would make huge lists to go over when I went to the doctors office, and I would be annoyed and unsure about their competence if they didn't bring these concerns up first based on my symptoms. I just need to let the doctor do her job. lol

I still visit that site, though... it's still pretty informative and interesting to me.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have OCD too, pure O. Though it doesn't bother me that much, actually people can live like this all their lives never thinking something's wrong with them. But when I get stressed and I don't sleep, my hypochondria and OCD kick in, and after that I get depressed. So it sucks big time.

OCD and hypochondria are closely related. Because if you get obsessed about an illness you will do irrational things to relieve you of the anxiety. I checked for about 2 days symptoms and everything... I actually thought I was bipolar. Then it passed, now it seems silly. But...during the obsession period...it felt so real.

Also I read the article about Si (thanks for the link) and it's pretty awesome.
My solution to that is doing sports (rent a bike, go to the gym, run, or just take long walks with someone). Whenever I get very introverted, very obsessive and everything I do that and I start feeling better. Also you need to sleep enough. Sleep deprivation sucks even more if you get obsessive.

My introverted moments are kinda cute, I get to see another perspective and it's interesting...I like them.

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm more obsessed with germs, parasites and contagious diseases. It's to the point where if I see someone violently coughing or displaying other syptoms of said disease/parasite, I will shy away from them and protect my orifices. I normally carry around lysol, hand sanitizer and frequently wash my hands. Yes it's only 99.99% effective, but that's better than nothing at all.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
And isn't it stress related? Don't you worry even more when you are stressed?

The O in the OCD can be about pretty much anything, from slightly irrational to very irrational. It depends.

Also have you tried exposure to your ocd fears? Do they reduce if you do that? ...I guess it's not that simple ....but it kinda worked for me.