Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How to: Talk to your INTP

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Orly?

In my experience/case, it's the other way around: "prickly" in trying to get along with short-term, comparatively easy sailing over the long-term.
    Yeah, I see what you mean. We're just so finnicky sometimes though.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

^^ Yeppers to the long response.

If there's that much disconnect between communication styles, protean, I don't think it would be a good idea to continue. Sounds like a recipe for a quick breakup. I think a relationship with an INTP would be a good way to drive you crazy, because you'd always see the INTP as self-centered, and they'd see it as a no-win situation.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    All these threads on INTP's in relationships just make me think "why the fuck would I bother?"

There must be a lot of masochists with self-esteem issues out there, maybe girls who were abandoned by their daddies, who are drawn to the traits described (some of which I sadly have a tendency to though I really try to be as balanced as possible).
    I like women I can be straight with and not have to worry as much about the atmosphere being ruined. Women who are straight with me are nice too.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 4w5 sx/sp, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I like women I can be straight with and not have to worry as much about the atmosphere being ruined. Women who are straight with me are nice too.
    To make it clear, I was referring to the personalities described, not to all real life INTP's. If I had been I'd be basically rubbishing myself, which would be silly because I considered my personality traits to be unbearable I wouldn't exhibit them in the first place.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    To make it clear, I was referring to the personalities described, not to all real life INTP's. If I had been I'd be basically rubbishing myself, which would be silly because I considered my personality traits to be unbearable I wouldn't exhibit them in the first place.
    I know in my case, I just don't mind talking openly about myself or my shortcomings. That definitely doesn't mean that I go up to people and say, "Hey, wanna know everything I struggle with?" But, with friends and with people who are open as well and especially on a forum like this (presumably, we're all here trying to learn some new things about ourselves and, in turn, improve), everything is out on the table. I've always been like that. It seems silly to me to talk about all my awesome traits and phenomenal abilities (:workout, but to not be willing to crack a joke here and there about my shortcomings or, better yet, to talk about them openly and honestly - because they do exist and I refuse to act like I don't have any.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    I know in my case, I just don't mind talking openly about myself or my shortcomings. That definitely doesn't mean that I go up to people and say, "Hey, wanna know everything I struggle with?" But, with friends and with people who are open as well and especially on a forum like this (presumably, we're all here trying to learn some new things about ourselves and, in turn, improve), everything is out on the table. I've always been like that. It seems silly to me to talk about all my awesome traits and phenomenal abilities (:workout, but to not be willing to crack a joke here and there about my shortcomings or, better yet, to talk about them openly and honestly - because they do exist and I refuse to act like I don't have any.
    Of course. But there's a recent trend of threads by or directed at those dating INTP's. The conclusion I draw from them is that if said people want a relationship or are in one with someone with the traits described then the only explanation I can think of is that they are either masochistic or have low self-worth.

Obviously I have shortcomings but if I thought that I was such a person that only someone masochistic or with low self-worth would date me, then I would do something about that. this is different to admitting shortcomings.

But in any case this is not an attempt to "press home the point" I am just explaining my reasoning.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

"I don't want to be "changed". I don't want to be molded into what you want me to be. I don't enjoy fitting into someone else's "boyfriend mold". At heart, we are iconoclasts. We desire that freedom. But, we are fiercely loyal if we are given that space and come to care about someone."

Amen.
    "A spill at the plant increased the phosphates in the lake and produced a scum of algae so thick that the swamp smell filled the air, infiltrating the genteel mansions. Debutantes cried over the misfortune of coming out in a season everyone would remember for its bad smell."

^^^

I love the exchange in your sig. Now I know why I hate wallpaper!

I started dating an intp recently; I like open ended interpretation and analyzing. My most useful tools are critical thinking and asking questions. He challenges my patience, but the pay off is stimulating intellectual conversation. (yay!)
    Last edited by Oddly Refined; 04-21-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: grammar
    Doorknob: Read the directions and directly you will be directed in the right direction.
    -Alice in Wonderland

The Memes Justify the End Array EcK's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Use positive reinforcements: give them a candy everytime they talk about the subjects you're interested in.

+ avoid triggering avoidance strategies, the treshold's way lower than the usual positive reinforcements due to the survival value of such a process (u didn't need to put your hand on a flame twice not to ever want to try it again)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE