• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP subtypes

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
These seem like they were made as some sort of joke in reference to something specific (maybe a specific site, or a specific discussion thread), but if I were to take them at face value and actually evaluate which one I match most closely, I'd have to say it's a mixture of 1 and 2. Liberal Loser and Golden Boy/Girl. Mostly Liberal Loser.

And, just to offer a different opinion, I think that, aside from the getting laid and going out to get drinks bits, the Cynical Realist sounds pretty lame. Educated, yet stuck in "stupid and meaningless jobs?" Are the "street philosopher, the beat poet, the writers, and fountains of knowledge and wisdom?" Eww. "Street philosopher" alone sounds suspect to me. The overall impression I get is that this type of person is a loser who likes to mask their under-achievement with sarcasm and pompous self-importance. Bullshitters.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
These seem like they were made as some sort of joke in reference to something specific (maybe a specific site, or a specific discussion thread), but if I were to take them at face value and actually evaluate which one I match most closely, I'd have to say it's a mixture of 1 and 2. Liberal Loser and Golden Boy/Girl. Mostly Liberal Loser.

And, just to offer a different opinion, I think that, aside from the getting laid and going out to get drinks bits, the Cynical Realist sounds pretty lame. Educated, yet stuck in "stupid and meaningless jobs?" Are the "street philosopher, the beat poet, the writers, and fountains of knowledge and wisdom?" Eww. "Street philosopher" alone sounds suspect to me. The overall impression I get is that this type of person is a loser who likes to mask their under-achievement with sarcasm and pompous self-importance. Bullshitters.

End of thread

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ahh you ENTPs have got us pegged. The devious yet lovable J. F. Sebastians to our Tyrell.

Would have to say I can’t be pigeon holed but all apply except #4 to some degree apply to me mostly number 5 (although I have gone through metamorphosis of the other types with differing emphasis at different stages.)

Whew that reminds me how it took me until my late 20s to find out how to get regularly laid without committing to a relationship (and thats because I can't commit to a relationship).

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Cynical Realist sounds like a bigger loser than all of the others.

Yet no one will pick anything else because Cynical Realist is the only one not laiden with bullshit.

redacted

I guess I'm the last one, except I care about people like a whiny little bitch...

Edit: Yeah, the cynical realists need to grow up, and I'm included :)

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Of course cynical realists are the most tragic, but who really gives a shit when we're just coasting on by, avoiding the path to nihilistic-schizophrenic-break-down mode?

All life is about is getting laid.

As someone who more or less fits the fifth stereotype, I just need to get laid more often/get the sexiness thing down.

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
Haha wow, that's a stupid list. That said, I'm a cynical realist since it's the only remotely charming option even though I'm not cynical and don't think the universe is a joke. I haven't the slightest idea why this list pisses me off so much even though it's supposed to be funny. Probably because it's inaccurate and bitter.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Cynical Realist sounds like a bigger loser than all of the others.

Yet no one will pick anything else because Cynical Realist is the only one not laiden with bullshit.

WHAT HAVE I DONE!?

Ive bumped this horrible thread back to the front.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm my own subtype. None of the above fit me.

Humpf. *feels left out* (*ponders* Maybe a tiny bit of liberal loser? Subjectively at least. :D )

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These seem like they were made as some sort of joke in reference to something specific (maybe a specific site, or a specific discussion thread),

That was my opinion too.

Of course, the biggest issue is that -- as jokes -- they weren't that funny and ended up sounding like a half-hearted real attempt to subcategorize the type... hence all the confusion abounding...

(IMO if you do jokes, ya gotta go over the top baybee!)

I'm my own subtype.

Isn't that sort of oroboric? ;)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's another INTP "subtype" system, with 24 subtypes! The 24 types of INTP - INTP Central

The way it's done is by taking test results (they use a particular test linked there), and then rearranging the letters according to which came out with the strongest % difference. So I ended up INPT. He has a description of all 24 types.

Pretty interesting idea.

On this five subtype idea, I pretty much went from a combination of 1/3/4 to somewhat 5 in recent years.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The way it's done is by taking test results (they use a particular test linked there), and then rearranging the letters according to which came out with the strongest % difference. So I ended up INPT. He has a description of all 24 types.

NPIT for me.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Test gave me PNIT as a result, but I think the NPTI description suits me better. Can't really say I identify with this entire system though as on different occasions I will be different subtypes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Test gave me PNIT as a result, but I think the NPTI description suits me better. Can't really say I identify with this entire system though as on different occasions I will be different subtypes.

Well, it's just describing a "general" approach, not much different than saying that someone is generally introverted and will gravitate to the corner in large gatherings... maybe they don't do this all the time, but it can still be a generalization.

People all wear different hats in life. The same person can be a mom at home and a boss at work, and even have fluctuations in "role personality" on a consistent basis.

The titles don't really have any sort of validation anyway, they're just derived by intuitive application of function theory, so...

^^^ case in point: Some INTPs might use their powers to deconstruct an idea and invalidate it, but the NPIT pretty accurate denotes how I use the same skills to anchor and then expand a framework in order to include as many possibilities as possible. How broad can I make things? How much fits within the frame? I have noticed a tendency in my arguing to focus on the "broadening the theory" thing...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

No, I picked that one before I took the test.

There's probably some Forer involved, but I think you need to dig deeper. This isn't as bad as that typical Forer personality test that has shown up here on occasion.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Here's another INTP "subtype" system, with 24 subtypes! The 24 types of INTP - INTP Central

Pretty interesting idea.

On this five subtype idea, I pretty much went from a combination of 1/3/4 to somewhat 5 in recent years.

Although I always score an INTP different tests give me different strengths in the respective E/I, S/N, T/F, J/P fields. Most of the time I would say it is valued as NTPI, which comes out under the 24 subtypes of INTP as NTPI-"the arcologist"
The second of the pure rationals, the NTPI tends towards creating utopian architectures. It does this out of a strong intuition of global truth.

I however suggest INTP reading all of them and allowing yourself to decide what subtype you are by using your own intuition. Doing so myself I most relate to PNTI.

PNTI-"the qc"
This type uses a wild intellectual instinct to perfect systems, whether they were the originator or not. The weak TI creates ambivalence towards identity and logic.
I would also go so far as to, heaven forbid, invite your subjective values to chime in and chose a, for lack of a better word, a submodality which you admire or imagining yourself becoming more than one of the models you admire, merging and seeing through your constructs eyes.
Your choice INTP; you make your own robot/vessel.
“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I don't know if this is serious or not... but whatever.
From here

1) Liberal Loser:
This INTP subtype tends to let an overwhelming sense of social injustice often due to their inability to control their immature feelings cloud their logic. Too much weed, or not enough, smoked at the peace rallies they attend with their overwhelmingly illogical SP soul mates typically add to the feelings of social injustice. They tend to rationalize everything around them in black and whites and gross generalities, by spouting off cliches and urban myths as fact. They are the classic pseudo intellectual, who look for social injustices in the way that INTPs are generally thought to look for facts, and are always ready to spout off why something is bad or wrong based upon one of their illogical findings, which they consider "conventional wisdom" or "common sense". Unfortunately, as an INTP, they don't actually do anything about it, just complain about it on groups such as the INTPopen.

2) Golden Boy (or girl):
This INTP subtype is as rare to see as a baby pigeon, as they tend to be physics professors, philosophy professors, professional programmers for prestigious universities or international companies, or as government analysts for the CIA and NSA. They are rarely seen, but when they are, it is typically due to personal issues that they need to whine about on internet lists, such as "my wife is a crazy bitch" or "I have no friends, I want someone to love me". They tend to be blind to the plight of their lesser INTP brethren because they have been given a golden spoon, accelerated classes in grade school, honors classes in high school, and full scholarships to MIT and Princeton. They tend to be very strange, as they are successful enough to not know or care how to bathe or take care of themselves, and tend to dress very poorly, and are incapable of brushing their hair. They tend to marry the first woman who lays them in their late 20's or early 30's, but eventually end up with their wives cheating on them with their more "normal" colleagues in the Business Administration department, but never tend to notice anyway, because they are too busy and engrossed in their esoteric work for any human activities.

3) Classic Nerds:
Similar to golden boys without the golden spoons, they tend to be intelligent, yet utterly incapable of holding a jargon free conversation. Most normal humans are incapable of communication with them outside of topics such as Star Trek, role-playing games, or the latest Matrix movie. To most, they appear asexual (and tend to BE asexual). They tend to get low level programming jobs, teach computer science at the local community college, or unemployed creating annoying email viruses while living in their parent's basement in a rat-hole filled with moldy pizza and empty potato chip bags. If they find a woman at all, it tends to be in their late 20's to mid 30's, when they realize that the odd human mating rituals involve things such as bathing and clean laundry, however, fortunately, they tend to attract others of the same subtype for mating – greasy overweight slobs, or Auschwitz- skinny freaks with coke bottle glasses, and can easily be spotted together with dyed black hair, wearing matching "Card Captor Sakura" t-shirts while browsing the latest additions to the anime section at blockbuster, while talking about their latest goth festival or roll playing gathering.

4) Religious Fanatic:
This type has given internal logic up for the external imposition of logic. This is usually due to severe bullying and ridicule as a child, which causes this INTP to be crushed to an empty shell – the perfect vessel for religion. These INTPs have no need for mere objective logic; they become masters of their religion, able to counter any argument logically within the confines of said religion. They accept the tenets and scriptures on "faith", and then feed it into their pool of logic. This type of INTP is incapable of losing an argument as they can creatively invent new logic off of old ideas. If their religion tells them the sun is a big chocolate square, they WILL FIND A WAY to deflect any argument that points out that the sun, in fact, is not a big chocolate square at all. The easiest way to end a debate with this type is "you are right" (due to the fact that they are incapable of being wrong, as that would require more pages of the dead sea scrolls which have yet to turn up).

5) Cynical Realist:
This type of INTP has seen the world, and realized that they want no part of it, except where they can get knowledge, experience, and entertainment from it. They see life for what it is, a big cosmic joke, and often wonder if they should laugh or cry, but otherwise just say the hell with it, and go get laid. They tend to be sarcastic and funny, are world travelers, and can blend in to any environment, and they tend to get laid a lot. They also tend to be fairly well educated, yet stuck in worthless and meaningless jobs, both because the people around them are idiots and because they don't have the mindless compulsion to kiss ass to move up in life. They are the street philosopher, the beat poet, the writers, and fountains of knowledge and wisdom. They tend to play multiple instruments, and just generally look cool and sexy. Their experience is as wide as their knowledge is deep, and tend to be very observant, and get laid a whole lot. They shower regularly, dress well yet comfortably, tend to be sexy in a low key sort of way, and tend to score easily with members of the opposite sex. Although their living quarters tend to appear disorganized, it is an organized disorganization, arranged in such a way as to be easy to get from the bed to the door, and back without interruption. This subtype also tends to like to party, likes to go out for drinks, can get along with pretty much anyone, and tends to get laid more than any other subtype of INTP.

I'd have to side with subtype, the cynical realist, though I do wonder why all the emphasis on "getting laid" :p . Happens a lot more when I'm actually trying not to be on a social high horse of sorts, like back in the old days. Ah, those were some wild times. :cool:

And I love you for pointing out subtype number 1 :D. Can't stand that type, yet it seems so prevalent...

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I fluctuate between these two, apparently:

PINT-"the secret prostitute"
The first of our identity-strong subtypes, they court several identities at once without thought of global inconsistency.

IPNT-"the deadhead"
These types tend to be long-simmering hippies, who are secretly yearning for a simpler existence, usually involving nature or anachronism.

Accurate, if only I could decipher what the first one meant..