123 Last

Thread: Shallow Ns

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Default Shallow Ns

Are there any shallow Ns?

I've heard arguments that depth is not related to personality type, but I don't think I've ever met a shallow N.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, N's can certainly be shallow!

(Normally it's referred to as "flighty" though.)

Daydreamers also actually sort of shallow, and N's get caught up in that alot.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I guess you've never experienced an NT loop, with a suppressed feeling function.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Yeah, N's can certainly be shallow!

Hmm, yeah "flighty." I've experienced that. However, do you think it's because they have the capacity (for depth) and are simply not exercising it? I know this sounds biased (and maybe I am), but sometimes I meet Ss that I do not think are even capable of it, whereas the "flighty" Ns I know are able but choose not to go there (all the time).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I guess you've never experienced an NT loop, with a suppressed feeling function.
    I only know two NTs IRL and they are both deep.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelinpa View Post
    I only know two NTs IRL and they are both deep.
    Yeah, Internally NT's I would assume always have a deep and complex life, but the thing is sometimes when your in a negative loop like that you only focus on certain things externally that are very close to your beliefs and opinions. I think that scenario would still classify under shallowness.

I think you are sort of merging intelligence, introspection, complexity, and depth together when you talk of being shallow when in essence just focusing on a narrow set of interest and only willing to engage and expound upon those interests to me is the definition of shallow.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelinpa View Post
    Hmm, yeah "flighty." I've experienced that. However, do you think it's because they have the capacity (for depth) and are simply not exercising it? I know this sounds biased (and maybe I am), but sometimes I meet Ss that I do not think are even capable of it, whereas the "flighty" Ns I know are able but choose not to go there (all the time).
    Meh, I'd be careful of that.

S people are more concrete than abstract by definition.
    It doesn't mean they can't have deep thoughts, or that they're shallow.

I think too as people become older, they become more nuanced, and S's look deeper than the surface, just as N's get more grounded and stop being so flighty. The best S's I know can go very deep; they also just usually retain a strong sense of practicality and paying attention to what's around them, they're very realistic and don't like "deep abstractions" as an end in themselves, they want it to be useful to accomplish some end or make their lives richer and/or more successful.

I think N's that get flighty also become sort of worthless; haven't you ever met someone who thinks they're profound but is totally useless in daily life? They're so profound that they're completely ignorant of the realities of life, which ruins any depth they think they've found.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Yeah, Internally NT's I would assume always have a deep and complex life, but the thing is sometimes when your in a negative loop like that you only focus on certain things externally that are very close to your beliefs and opinions. I think that scenario would still classify under shallowness.
    I understand what you are getting at, and it sort of fits at my last paragraph above. Some people might have great insight but everyone around them just sees them as someone with their heads up their posteriors, in terms of usefulness and REALLY understanding how the abstractions connect to the real world. We all have met NT types who are very smart but utterly useless in life as well as incompetent in their relationships.

I think you are sort of merging intelligence, introspection, complexity, and depth together when you talk of being shallow when in essence just focusing on a narrow set of interest and only willing to engage and expound upon those interests to me is the definition of shallow.
    Yes, sort of, that's it. Getting caught up in just one facet of reality rather than seeing it all connect together and integrating it. S's come at it from one side; N's come at it from another.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

I think that scenario would still classify under shallowness.
    Oh, I'm definitely merging, but I would consider that breadth rather than depth. Being narrowminded.

By depth I mean closer to (Google Define):

astuteness: the intellectual ability to penetrate deeply into ideas

I think it is the intense level and complexity, versus the range of topics.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't know about that... Ns that take great effort at thinking about pointless things are still considered "deep" by those that value deepness at the surface level.

This is just definition hopping. "Shallow" has a negative connotation, but can be associated against concrete thinkers. MBTI asks if you are concrete. Tada!

The operative word is ability, notably different than preference.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

S people are more concrete than abstract by definition. It doesn't mean they can't have deep thoughts, or that they're shallow.
    Oh, I know. For the record, I appreciate Ss. I have more than a few deep S friends--I know they exist. I was simply wondering if there was a trend, based on the experiences of others.

I think N's that get flighty also become sort of worthless; haven't you ever met someone who thinks they're profound but is totally useless in daily life? They're so profound that they're completely ignorant of the realities of life, which ruins any depth they think they've found.
    Totally annoying, but I wouldn't say it negates their level of depth. Useless perhaps, but depth still present.

S's come at it from one side; N's come at it from another.
    Yeah, maybe they even need their own definitions.