User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Shallow Ns

Some Ns are so deep they end up being shallow.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lukepd View Post
    Some Ns are so deep they end up being shallow.
    Kind of like a Taoist?

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Most Ns just pretend to be deep.

And Extroversion is generally associated with shallowness, Introversion with deepness.

Of course, it also depends on your definition of what is shallow and what is deep.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Most Ns just pretend to be deep.
    I can't speak for all Ns, but for myself, and for the NF temperament, in general, the mere thought of having to pretend to be anything but yourself is just plain icky.

Feigning depth is like the least deep thing a person can do.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFP

"I made a thread about this, you should come over there."=>http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...shallow-4.html
    Yeah we were trying to define deep and "shallow" but flighty is more appropriate.
    And it's funny but I always found SP and SJs to fit the "deep" stereotype for some reason.
    I have had a lot of experiences with the "high and mighty" Ns you talked about.
    I made it a point to not act that way, thank god. I'm definitely the "flighty" sort but not high and mighty. I still don't think I'm very deep and I think life experience has a lot to do with it too.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    ENFJ

*Presents self*

Tadaa!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    nnnn

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, N's can certainly be shallow!

(Normally it's referred to as "flighty" though.)

Daydreamers also actually sort of shallow, and N's get caught up in that alot.
    Why are daydreamers shallow?

MBTI
    infp

haven't you ever met someone who thinks they're profound but is totally useless in daily life? They're so profound that they're completely ignorant of the realities of life, which ruins any depth they think they've found.
    You know me so well lol

I think S's can be very deep, you just need to be ready for when they go digging down like that.

I also think being shallow is something an N can do just as easily and unthinkingly and you believe an S does.

To me being being shallow also encompasses being too up your own N ass to believe that an S is capable of deepness (not meaning you specifically) or that an F is capable of thinking (and dismissing both functions as being too far beneath you to befriend, that's shallow).
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    isfp

Meh, I'd be careful of that.

S people are more concrete than abstract by definition.
    It doesn't mean they can't have deep thoughts, or that they're shallow.

I think too as people become older, they become more nuanced, and S's look deeper than the surface, just as N's get more grounded and stop being so flighty. The best S's I know can go very deep; they also just usually retain a strong sense of practicality and paying attention to what's around them, they're very realistic and don't like "deep abstractions" as an end in themselves, they want it to be useful to accomplish some end or make their lives richer and/or more successful..

That's very true. SPs and SJs tend to be more interested in wanting to connect what they're learning to real life, which means that just philosophizing for the heck of it tends to take a lower priority than, say, getting things done that need to be done which would have immediate value to us now. That doesn't mean I never think about anything below the surface -- but I do tend to be on the lookout for ideas that could have relevance to my life today. If you can show me how your deep insights could have practical applications, I'm all ears! I do think "deeply" about some things, but not about all things, which I think is true for everybody, including intuitives.

Searching for stuff that has "relevance to today" would be the reason why, if I were given the choice between spending a Saturday repainting the inside of my kitchen cabinets or spending that same day attending a lecture on philosophy, I'd choose the former, since it seems more fun (physical) and more relevant to my happiness today (fresh-looking cabinets to enjoy for years to come). But if you convince me that the all-day lecture on philosophy will be understandable to someone who doesn't have a background in that subject area, and that there will be frequent breaks so I don't feel like my legs have atrophied, AND that it would have profound relevance to my life today, then I would definitely consider doing that instead.

Being dominant Fi, I tend to think very deepy about things, people and ideas that matter to me. Being an I*S*FP, what I think about more often has to do with improving my relationships than about pondering abstract stuff purely out of intellectual curiosity.

Sarah
    ISFP

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

And Extroversion is generally associated with shallowness, Introversion with deepness.
    Interesting point. I find this to be true.