User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Shallow Ns

MBTI
    INTP

But life is inherently complex in terms of depth AND breadth, so just having skills in one and noticeable deficits in another would still to me be not very valuable. I think if we go strictly by that definition then you are sort of implicitly disadvantaging S's when in reality there are very few situations in life where daily functioning doesn't require skills in both.

Just look at some of the frequent threads that discuss intelligence, Iq, and its correlations with type. Its absolutely fascinating that some people are willing to go into great depths to prove their point but in reality going to that level and excluding others and making "arbitrary" judgments based solely on menial things like that to me is the epitome of shallow.

I guess I'm kind of caught up in the denotations and connotations of that word 'shallow'.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

But life is inherently complex in terms of depth AND breadth, so just having skills in one and noticeable deficits in another would still to me be not very valuable. I think if we go strictly by that definition then you are sort of implicitly disadvantaging S's when in reality there are very few situations in life where daily functioning doesn't require skills in both.
    I wasn't meaning to talk about depth in terms of value. Although, I guess it's not really neutral since the assumption is most people want depth in their relationships. I can see where you are coming from. I did not mean to imply Ss are inferior. And, I appreciate your balanced perspective.

I guess I'm kind of caught up in the denotations and connotations of that word 'shallow'.
    Probably.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Define shallow. Problem solved.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I consider myself shallow sometimes.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Firelie View Post
    I consider myself shallow sometimes.
    Haha, me, too. Sometimes I just don't have any patience for discussing Deep Ponderous Things.

And sometimes I just like to watch Best Week Ever or some other nonsense on tv and laugh my head off.

And sometimes I like to keep conversations shallow because I don't feel like letting people in.

Think that all N can be intellectual snobs.

MBTI
    INTP

I've found that Ns can definitely be quite shallow. ENFPs and ENTPs get high-and-mighty a lot of the time. INTPs often discount people because they aren't as smart.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

if we define being a sensor as shallow then:

it would have to be ENXJs with tertiary Se. They can be extremely "shallow" when fooling around and controlling people for what they want.

if we define shallow by meaning one has no "moral/deep" direction in life, and wants nothing but ______ fleeting satisfaction, then anyone can be shallow or not shallow. just as anyone can be smart or not smart.

some of the smartest people i know are ISTPs and ISTJs. Some of the shallowest people i know are ENXJs if you define it as a material desire.

I think the MBTI defines the HOW. However, if you're looking for the WHY, then the enneagram will do you much better.

for instance, a 7w6 ENTJ Jim Carrey is going differ greatly on the "shallowness scale" than the 8 ENTJ CEO. (There is nothing wrong with being that executive, by the way. I feel that as long as what you desire isn't hurting anyone it doesnt matter how shallow it is... we are here to experience life in whatever way we want).

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

My sister has tested as an INFP and she is kind of materialistic, though she is the most down-to-earth materialistic girl I have ever met. Also, my father was an INTP and he was pretty vain when it came to what he was attracted to in the opposite sex.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I know some semi-shallow N's, but they tested as weak N's.