User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

don't think about rules- just try to live fairly

that's my general approach anyways.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by MissMurder View Post
    I was talking with my friend about this post, asking her opinion on it... etc. It was during that conversation that I realized the common denominator between all 4 of my "rules". The "rule" that decides how I live is living according to my God-given destiny and purpose. It encompasses all 4 of my rules and then some, and it's the one common thread that binds them all together.
    i think i can relate. my one governing rule is simply 'to make the most out of my life'. whatever that i value is only valuable because of it.

i'm not sure the OPer will be happy with my answer though as it's not specific enough. personally my childhood goals were to

1. be smart
    2. be original
    3. be a warm person with lots of friends
    4. be driven by morals (though i only picked this one up when i was in highschool)

it's REALLY hard to choose between the 4. it pains me to even have to make a choice. if i absolutely had to choose one it would be creativity, but make no mistake, i strongly value all of these things.

MBTI
    WXYZ

Quote Originally Posted by MissMurder View Post
    One central rule that dictates my entire existence? Initially I was going to post a sarcastic response, but then I got to thinking about it. What is my central motivation in this life?

1. I want to enjoy my existence.

2. I want to be proficient in many different areas.

3. I want to be successful.

4. I want my family to be happy, healthy, and clothed, with a stability they can depend on.

If I had to choose from all of the above, I'd choose the 4th. But the 4th could also be looked at as the same as the 3rd... since that is my definition of success. And the 3rd and 4th are an essential part of the 1st. How can I enjoy my existence without 3 and 4? 2 is automatically fulfilled in everything I do. That's just how I operate. If I do something, I learn all I can about it, make lots of mistakes and learn from them, and then eventually reach a level of proficiency that satisfies me.

I like this girl already.

When i was young, i wanted to unite the world under one flag or become aq warlord, now i don't know what i want to do.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'd have to say it's the fear of not being someone during my life.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I actually remember the first real "rule" I swore myself was "to be honest". When I was 10. I was convinced that if people said what they meant and meant what they said and did what they meant, that the world would be a better place.

Before that I'd had other ambitions too- vaguely one about always keeping promises and holding others to their promises. And to try and find the un-moody balance finally between hating and loving a sibling/cousins. But the honesty one really was the first one I really put into fully-realized word-glory.

Life's too hard to live with rules. Sometimes I wonder if they make any difference at all. If you evaluated each new instance of choice separately without your "rules" and signposts of integrity and morality... if they're truly good choices you'd make the same ones anyway. And perhaps even better ones. Even if those choices might not be easily summarized into a "soundbite"-size philosophy.

MBTI
    ENFJ

All I want in life is to be able to wake up in the morning without dreading the day ahead.

It sounds very simple, but it's much easier said than done...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I think personality is essentially a decision we make on how to deal with life. As such, I think our personality emerges gradually from basic rules we choose as children, which have larger implications and mold who we are.
    But why do we choose the basic rules we each do?

The rules we favor seem to be based on either (1) inherent preferences or (2) reflections from our home environment growing up since it the familiarity gives us comfort even if the rules were not good ones.

I don't have just one central rule, I have a number of them: One of them, though, is to "treat others AND myself with respect, as a human being of equal value and potential, regardless of how people might be fulfilling or abandoning their potential."

Another is "Reality at all costs."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    All I want in life is to be able to wake up in the morning without dreading the day ahead.

The same for me: just to try to stay positive and relaxed during the day.

Default Quiet Desperation

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post

I would say to myself, "What would I do if I had a million dollars?".

And quite often I would answer, "I would go and live on an island in the Great Barrier Reef".

But today when I ask the question, I answer, I wouldn't do anything.

I guess I am happy where I am and I no longer dread the day ahead.

But when I dreaded the day, I just took it for granted. And I remember the person next to me telling my how - how he hated his job.

And I look around my University today and I can see a lot of people hate their job and take it for granted. It's like they wear a false and friendly face, but inside, they hate it.

It's like each one is a divided self - an external mask hardened into routine - and their internal feelings, hardened into an impotent hatred.

And the feelings behind the mask eventually harden into ressentiment - ripe for exploitation by any guru.

The quietly desperate, looking for a way out, stampede when the guru says, "This is the way, the truth and the light".

And they stamp on anything good in their desperation to get out.

Default Or else!

On the other hand I have always been an idealist.

And so quite naturally I asked myself what my ideals were.

And they came down to two - empathy and creativity.

But since joining you on the internet, I now have three - empathy, creativity and presence.

Though my father warned me that idealists are the most dangerous people in the world.

And I am, 'cause I insist you share my ideals, or else!