User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Rejection Fosters Intuition

Rejection Fosters Intuition - Yahoo! News

Rejection can make a person more intuitive. New research suggests individuals who have faced the cold shoulder can more easily spot phony people.

The ability to spot a fabricated smile, exhibited by test subjects who had suffered rejection, could be a relic of our past, the researchers said.

"This seems to be a skill we've acquired through evolution," said researcher Michael Bernstein, a doctoral student in social psychology at Miami University in Ohio. "Living in groups several hundreds of years ago was extremely important to survival. Being kicked out of the group was like death, so they became very good at reading facial expressions and social cues."
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Empathy fosters, or rather, is the type of intuition this doctoral student is suggesting, not social rejection. Lulz.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP

You're confusing me today, babe.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    You're confusing me today, babe.
    How so?

I would think that from an evolutionary perspective those who have been socially outcasted probably lacked social skills.

I do not think rejection fosters intuition, I think recurring rejection, more often than not, fosters hypersensitivity to, well, not being liked/accepted or loved.

Fabricated smiles, as opposed to Duchenne smiles are detected quite easily and intuitively by those who are socially inclined or more empathetic.

Many people are phony, so perhaps a reject does have an advantage in calling the fakers out, I dunno.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ISTP

I don't find this unusual.

A large amount of intuition comes from the way we learn. When something happens to us, everything that leads to it (associated and not) tends to get imprinted - wired together. In the simplest terms, it's like shock therapy. You get shocked for (x) reason, and soon (x) reason is associated against being shocked.

However, a lot of this comes from 'burnback' through the same neural pathways that as associated against it. Emotionally, if you are hurt or whatever, the burnback pushes way back, deep into the mind.

It's not surprising that those that are exposed to negative (or positive) conditions are better able to identify similar patterns. They have more or less been imprinted onto the mind.

Having said that, this can be very negative too. It's the ability to see patterns - taken too far and we can see patterns that don't exist. And of course, a lot of the wiring that comes from this can be destructive... pretty much what cognitive therapy and so forth are meant to treat.

---

Having said that, CC's stance makes sense as well. It would depend on if the research showed any other relationships that might differentiate relationship attitudes in general.

MBTI
    ENTP

I was just thinking about how many of the S types I know seem to come from large and often intact families?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Wait!

Intuition and empathy.

Is empathy a type a intuition? Yes.

I would like to know why and for what reasons these folks were rejected. If they were socially inept and hence rejected for this reason, I don't think this rejection would suddenly magically reshape their genetic makeup so as to suddenly make them more empathetic, nope, not at all.

"This seems to be a skill we've acquired through evolution," said researcher Michael Bernstein, a doctoral student in social psychology at Miami University in Ohio. "Living in groups several hundreds of years ago was extremely important to survival. Being kicked out of the group was like death, so they became very good at reading facial expressions and social cues."
    I surmise that they became hypersensitive to *negative* social cues.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    It's not surprising that those that are exposed to negative (or positive) conditions are better able to identify similar patterns. They have more or less been imprinted onto the mind.

Having said that, this can be very negative too. It's the ability to see patterns - taken too far and we can see patterns that don't exist. And of course, a lot of the wiring that comes from this can be destructive... pretty much what cognitive therapy and so forth are meant to treat..
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post

I don't think this rejection would suddenly magically reshape their genetic makeup so as to suddenly make them more empathetic, nope, not at all.
    I thought they meant that somehow we're genetically hard-wired to become good at reading cues if we are socially rejected? I dunno.