• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Rejection Fosters Intuition

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Rejection Fosters Intuition - Yahoo! News

Rejection can make a person more intuitive. New research suggests individuals who have faced the cold shoulder can more easily spot phony people.

The ability to spot a fabricated smile, exhibited by test subjects who had suffered rejection, could be a relic of our past, the researchers said.

"This seems to be a skill we've acquired through evolution," said researcher Michael Bernstein, a doctoral student in social psychology at Miami University in Ohio. "Living in groups several hundreds of years ago was extremely important to survival. Being kicked out of the group was like death, so they became very good at reading facial expressions and social cues."

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Empathy fosters, or rather, is the type of intuition this doctoral student is suggesting, not social rejection. Lulz.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You're confusing me today, babe.
How so?

I would think that from an evolutionary perspective those who have been socially outcasted probably lacked social skills.

I do not think rejection fosters intuition, I think recurring rejection, more often than not, fosters hypersensitivity to, well, not being liked/accepted or loved.

Fabricated smiles, as opposed to Duchenne smiles are detected quite easily and intuitively by those who are socially inclined or more empathetic.

Many people are phony, so perhaps a reject does have an advantage in calling the fakers out, I dunno.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't find this unusual.

A large amount of intuition comes from the way we learn. When something happens to us, everything that leads to it (associated and not) tends to get imprinted - wired together. In the simplest terms, it's like shock therapy. You get shocked for (x) reason, and soon (x) reason is associated against being shocked.

However, a lot of this comes from 'burnback' through the same neural pathways that as associated against it. Emotionally, if you are hurt or whatever, the burnback pushes way back, deep into the mind.

It's not surprising that those that are exposed to negative (or positive) conditions are better able to identify similar patterns. They have more or less been imprinted onto the mind.

Having said that, this can be very negative too. It's the ability to see patterns - taken too far and we can see patterns that don't exist. And of course, a lot of the wiring that comes from this can be destructive... pretty much what cognitive therapy and so forth are meant to treat.

---

Having said that, CC's stance makes sense as well. It would depend on if the research showed any other relationships that might differentiate relationship attitudes in general.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I was just thinking about how many of the S types I know seem to come from large and often intact families?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Wait!

Intuition and empathy.

Is empathy a type a intuition? Yes.

I would like to know why and for what reasons these folks were rejected. If they were socially inept and hence rejected for this reason, I don't think this rejection would suddenly magically reshape their genetic makeup so as to suddenly make them more empathetic, nope, not at all.

"This seems to be a skill we've acquired through evolution," said researcher Michael Bernstein, a doctoral student in social psychology at Miami University in Ohio. "Living in groups several hundreds of years ago was extremely important to survival. Being kicked out of the group was like death, so they became very good at reading facial expressions and social cues."

I surmise that they became hypersensitive to *negative* social cues.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's not surprising that those that are exposed to negative (or positive) conditions are better able to identify similar patterns. They have more or less been imprinted onto the mind.

Having said that, this can be very negative too. It's the ability to see patterns - taken too far and we can see patterns that don't exist. And of course, a lot of the wiring that comes from this can be destructive... pretty much what cognitive therapy and so forth are meant to treat..
:yes:

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
I don't think this rejection would suddenly magically reshape their genetic makeup so as to suddenly make them more empathetic, nope, not at all.

I thought they meant that somehow we're genetically hard-wired to become good at reading cues if we are socially rejected? I dunno.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I thought they meant that somehow we're genetically hard-wired to become good at reading cues if we are socially rejected? I dunno.
And that is RIDICULOUS!!!

More often than not, those with *inherent* social skills are the ones who are genetically hardwired for successfully reading social/nonverbal cues.

Social rejects, in an evolutionary sense, so we can broaden this to all social mammals, or primates if you wish, tend to be rejected for *not exhibiting appropriate social behaviors*