User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default ENTPs: Do you make up stuff for no reason?

I know a number of ENTPs and a lot (not all) of them seem to seamlessly throw outright manufactured information into their stories/conversations. It doesn't even have a purpose most of the time. One said once, "Yeah...I know like 50% of what I say isn't true."

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about people who will just randomly make up facts and stories and pretend like they are completely true while telling them, and I realized that like 90% of the people we were talking about were probably ENTPs.

This isn't an attack on ENTPs in general, since obviously the mature ones won't have this trait. I am just saying that, in my experience, most of the compulsive liars I know are ENTPs and I'm wondering why this is.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTP

This is a toughy and I imagine hard to admit to for many ENTP's. I think we sometimes want so bad to sell our ideas or views sometimes that we do exaggerate, especially because we want to make an idea or thing more interesting. Personally, I consider myself a very honest and open person who will occasionally bullshit about things, especially if I am talking out of my ass about something I thought I knew about but realized I didn't once I opened my mouth. With my friends, they all know I bullshit and I am up front with this, so we have an understanding. They don't mind, don't care, and take what I say with a grain of salt, and I'm free to not have to worry about remembering facts or statistics exactly right. Also, I think this is also a result of our tendency to only have a superficial grasp of certain subjects, if that makes sense.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    This is a toughy and I imagine hard to admit to for many ENTP's. I think we sometimes want so bad to sell our ideas or views sometimes that we do exaggerate, especially because we want to make an idea or thing more interesting. Personally, I consider myself a very honest and open person who will occasionally bullshit about things, especially if I am talking out of my ass about something I thought I knew about but realized I didn't once I opened my mouth. With my friends, they all know I bullshit and I am up front with this, so we have an understanding. They don't mind, don't care, and take what I say with a grain of salt, and I'm free to not have to worry about remembering facts or statistics exactly right. Also, I think this is also a result of our tendency to only have a superficial grasp of certain subjects, if that makes sense.
    Um, don't most guys do this?!?!?

I thought it had something to do with having testicles.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP

I do have testicles. Maybe you're onto something.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Um, don't most guys do this?!?!?

I thought it had something to do with having testicles.

Nah, I've seen a lot of women who do it, too - they just express it differently.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch
    Thanks for the response. It actually isn't a big deal to me when the people I know well do it because I expect it and we all know what the score is. I suppose it does actually make the conversation more interesting, too.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    XNXP

I made up a story once about being stranded because my clothes were taken while I was skinny dipping, just to see what the reaction was. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I was tempted by observing phenomenons like L. Ron Hubbard. Telling the truth about his fiction he was just a sci-fi writer getting along, but telling the fiction about his "truth" he became a zillionaire cult leader. ( Not that one becomes a cult leader by having improvised in an awkward situation like that. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah. It can be channelled positively like Robert Rankin does in his fantastic fiction, or negatively, into an attention-seeking bullshitting tendency.

I used to do it when I was much younger, I guess partly founded on a deep self-doubt, a total dearth of self-esteem - the basic assumption was that I, as I am, in myself, am not remarkable or worthy of any note or attention, much less any actual respect, regard or interest. So, if people are going to give me their company, then I need to just have interesting stuff to say all the time, stuff that makes them go 'wow' a lot, whether about other people/things or about myself, it was, the way I saw it, the only way for me to be noticed. I pretty severely underestimated however, people's ability to spot the BS haha, and it was a sorta self-defeating thing.

I grew out of it by my early 20's though - well, I grew out of that incarnation of it. I'm still as much a teller of tall tales as Rankin, but I do it now in a way that's obviously not meant to be taken seriously. It's more done now to entertain and amuse, rather than draw attention or admiration for myself.

I think what changed was that I shifted the perspective through which I look at life and my interactions with other people, from worrying about what was being made of me, less worrying about my own image, to being more focused on other people's responses and what it said about themselves, their needs, the atmosphere and stuff at the time, so that I could summon from within myself whatever was needed to make any situation 'right' or 'complete'.

So... yeah, I still make stuff up, but it's in good natured fun and stuff.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Nah, I've seen a lot of women who do it, too - they just express it differently.
    Lol, my sister is one of them, she does it all the time, (she's an ESTJ), but she does not express it differently.

She is kinda testosteroney, though.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP

The feeling / belief for the subject matter has to be there. Like, I think I could be a great salesman if it was a product I believed in. Sure, I might tell you that ShamWow could soak up a bathtub full of water and you might suspect (correctly) that I was exaggerating, but the belief would be absolutely honest. I think with ENTP's you will find that this happens more with things they're interested in.