User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 101

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiL View Post
    But I can see how misunderstandings could happen, and so I usually don't "seriously joke" like that unless I'm sure I'm dealing with people who will get it.
    Yeah, but like who is that guy in your avatar anyway?

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    837

    Default

    My brain changes every day, and every day, I feel excited about sharing it with people like it's a brand new toy. I don't lie, but I do flow freely and enjoy all that ensues.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. #33
    Rats off to ya! Mort Belfry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Um, don't most guys do this?!?!?

    I thought it had something to do with having testicles.

    I don't know, as an experiment I had mine removed for a week, and I still outright lied.

    Is this part of the nature of Ne? I know in my more extraverted moments that I lie for no purpose, or just because it creates a more interesting conversation. I also assume, not always correctly, that the people I'm talking to realise I'm not telling the truth.

    Though I'm not an ENTP, when I do it, it's a fine line between lying and joking.

    Quote Originally Posted by burkeus View Post
    Yeah, but like who is that guy in your avatar anyway?
    Julian Barratt
    Why do we always come here?

    I guess we'll never know.

    It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

  4. #34
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    Is this part of the nature of Ne? I know in my more extraverted moments that I lie for no purpose, or just because it creates a more interesting conversation. I also assume, not always correctly, that the people I'm talking to realise I'm not telling the truth.
    I can't count how many girls I lost to this attitude
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  5. #35
    Senior Member ZiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I dunno... my life experience says there are a lot of things a woman can get away with that a guy can't... for example, I'm pretty sure a woman can make jokes a lot lower below the belt than a guy can, without having to worry about getting punched in the face....
    You won't get punched in the face, but you'll definitely run a risk of alienating yourself, and that's about as bad. Girls find you too wacky and guys find you not feminine enough. They'll both look at you as a novelty and not take you seriously when you want to be taken seriously. I have to weed someone out first to know how far I can go.

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post

    But nah, it's not that I expect people to read my mind... I guess if other people mistook my meaning too then I'd sympathize with them a bit more, but when they're the only one who had a problem out of a bunch of others... I tend to be less ready to think of it as my 'fault' that they don't like me... and I guess also it's a sort of irritation with what I see as their being too ready to believe the worst of someone, like rather than either figure "he might've just been kidding, I'll wait see if I get any more clues about his character to figure whether he's the kind of asshole who'd mean that" or rather than picking a time to say to me "when you said that, did you mean it or were you just kidding?" and giving me the chance to clarify, they just sorta nurse a grudge and harbour all that resentment and project the blame onto me for the negative feelings they feel because they're hating me... ugh, I dunno, it's just a negative mentality that's alien to me, so I think that's why i get so irritated with it...
    No, I know exactly what you mean, I wasn't disagreeing with you or saying that you need to change your approach. I'm just saying I tend to be extremely cautious until I know someone a bit because I'm overly paranoid about my ability to rub someone the wrong way. I said I haven't pissed anyone off with my "serious humor" - I should have said that it hasn't happened to me for a long time. It happened a lot when I was younger and so paranoia about peoples' reactions to it has been programmed into me. I was "too lively" as a little girl . I tend to assume the worst initially, when it comes to my expectations of others' reactions, and so I act accordingly. I'm actually trying to stop worrying about this as much.

    Certainly if there's only one person in a group getting annoyed with you because of your communication style, I'd agree it's their problem and not yours.


    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post

    I myself have learned to distinguish between fact and fiction. So if someone asks for my opinion and I have no information on the topic, I draw new connections and assembly a possibility what the answer would be and when I tell it, I mark it clearly to the asker that this was speculative. I guess that is something, I especially learned in engineering in University.

    But when it comes to personal conversations, I am really mood swung and driven to talk for the sake of talking. Most of the times it dependes on the seriousness of the conversation, in small talk you cant tell heaven from hell of the things I say.

    But I would never lie about facts or bend reality to put myself into a better light. Of that I think it has no style. That would be like searching for new ideas to a topic in front of someone, who patronizes you the whole time and tells you, you are wrong, you have to go this or that way.
    That's exactly it.

  6. #36
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I know a number of ENTPs and a lot (not all) of them seem to seamlessly throw outright manufactured information into their stories/conversations. It doesn't even have a purpose most of the time. One said once, "Yeah...I know like 50% of what I say isn't true."

    I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about people who will just randomly make up facts and stories and pretend like they are completely true while telling them, and I realized that like 90% of the people we were talking about were probably ENTPs.

    This isn't an attack on ENTPs in general, since obviously the mature ones won't have this trait. I am just saying that, in my experience, most of the compulsive liars I know are ENTPs and I'm wondering why this is.
    I don't make up events that haven't happened. Perhaps other ENTP's do this, but it is not something that I personally do. I don't exaggerate either. I have an INTP friend that I catch exaggerating details sometimes, and that is one thing that annoys me about him. Probably the closest thing I do is that I pretend to have an opinion on something in order to spark a conversation. I take one side and the other person takes the other and then I like to see what conclusions we each come to. In reality I don't have many strong opinions, but I often pretend I do in order to see another person's perspective about something.

    I also make up buttloads of explanations for things. I have to have an explanation for everything, so I make up one that seems reasonable, and then I constantly refine it as I encounter more data that enlightens the subject. I don't see explanation and fact as the same thing though. If event X happened then I would give my best explanation for why it happened, but I would never say X happened if it didn't happen.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  7. #37
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I don't make up events that haven't happened. Perhaps other ENTP's do this, but it is not something that I personally do. I don't exaggerate either.
    I would say that making up explanations and promoting them with an air of certainty is a form of exaggeration.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  8. #38
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I would say that making up explanations and promoting them with an air of certainty is a form of exaggeration.
    Well now you are getting into a grey area. What level of certainty is appropriate for a given explanation? All explanations are questionable; it is only data and facts which should be taken at face value. The best explanation is always the one that most closely fits the known data. Therefore, for me, my confidence in an explanation is reflected by how much knowledge I have about the particular subject.

    When I am conversing with someone I usually indicate how confident I am in my explanation (with the exception being when I try to goad them into a discussion). I don't know how well that sort of thing translates to online discussion, since once you remove tone of voice and body language people are more likely to misinterpret what you mean. I haven't had anyone tell me I'm full of crap in RL. In my experience ENTJ's are more likely to overly express certainty rather than ENTP's.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  9. #39
    Senior Member Into It's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I am just saying that, in my experience, most of the compulsive liars I know are ENTPs and I'm wondering why this is.
    Wow, my experiences have been the same. ESTP's are not far off from ENTP's in a lot of ways, and I feel like they throw manipulation into their speech even if it isn't an outright lie. But the two ENTP's I know very well have NO problem lying, even if they will probably get caught!

  10. #40
    Senior Member Rachelinpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    878

    Default

    Hahaha. I love the title of this topic.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] ENTPs: do you like me or do you just like attention?
    By Thessaly in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 04:17 AM
  2. Do you make others responsible for your feelings?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 02:06 PM
  3. [ENTP] ENTPs: Do you often put your foot in your mouth?
    By Aleksei in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 09:30 PM
  4. [SJ] Q for SJs: do you put up a facade?
    By MacGuffin in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 03:18 PM
  5. [ENTP] ENTPs.... do you come across as being romantic in relationships?
    By Intricate Mystic in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 07:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO