User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

^Sure, this all makes sense. But it's hard for me to think of real examples of patterns that can be universally applied, (or if not universally, then 'very widely'.) I'm kind of stuck on the idea of suppressing the intuition; maybe that is easier for an Ni to do because they can just choose to "disbelieve" the intuition, whereas Ne relies on real external data and doesn't seem very controllable to me as a function.

MBTI
    INTP

I think if you want to get to a more universal state it would have to be more meta cognitive strategies. to give you a very basic example learning how to speed read, take notes etc...

I think you made a good point about the Ne and Ni thing. My dad is phenomenal with both applying and extracting universal patterns in complex material, Im much more chaotic and like to do as I go and my efficiency likewise is all over the map. It is for sure as not nearly as consistently high as Ni dominant people. I think though that it applies to more things in general, but does not allow me to get into the depths needed for complex material as easily as him.

I think for the intuition to be "universally" applicable to difficult material it has to be contained within a specialized domain as opposed to just a generalized process you can apply to any material or subject.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I think if you want to get to a more universal state it would have to be more meta cognitive strategies. to give you a very basic example learning how to speed read, take notes etc...

I think you made a good point about the Ne and Ni thing. My dad is phenomenal with both applying and extracting universal patterns in complex material, Im much more chaotic and like to do as I go and my efficiency likewise is all over the map. It is for sure as not nearly as consistently high as Ni dominant people. I think though that it applies to more things in general, but does not allow me to get into the depths needed for complex material as easily as him.

I think for the intuition to be "universally" applicable to difficult material it has to be contained within a specialized domain as opposed to just a generalized process you can apply to any material or subject.
    learning to speed read is the single most important thing I have learned in the past year...

...besides MBTI of course.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Speed reading: check
    Passing math with at least a two: check
    Sort of knowing how to deal with my husband: check
    Learning German: check
    Helping people with difficult shit: check

Getting this g-d damn freaking for the love of the high heaven above translation material: NO CHECK!!!!!!!!! :steam:
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Speed reading: check
    Passing math with at least a two: check
    Sort of knowing how to deal with my husband: check
    Learning German: check
    Helping people with difficult shit: check

Getting this g-d damn freaking for the love of the high heaven above translation material: NO CHECK!!!!!!!!! :steam:
    maintaining the creepy yet some how friendly, which makes it more creepy, cat avatar..... check

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I'm curious: what are your methods for mastering intellectual material that you think is very interesting and useful but that's also not particularly easy to understand?
    As an ENTJ, a good way I have found is to have in mind a practical example or problem in order to understand the utility of the material and develop a necessary 'spark' for its fundamental foundations.

MBTI
    WXYZ

You bshould develop a learning oprocess model to help yourself learn, and then execute, practice and refine this process unitl you are confortable with it. Dfferent materials requires different approach to learn,

This process can including anything, copying, talking and explaining to someone else about it, notetaking, writing, problem solving, or mapping the informatiaon and seeing the relationship with each other.
    Personally I learn best from copying something again and again, and then writing abou it.

MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    XXXX
    Socionics
    XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOp View Post
    So if mastering (control) is an illusion then he shouldnt have asked the question.
    Or better yet, asked a more specific question.
    Hit like a heavyweight, breathe deep, meditate
    Make the whole crowd get loud, make 'em levitate
    I ride through my city like a presidential candidate
    L-A-X, Phantom double-R, and accelerate

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Prime View Post
    Or better yet, asked a more specific question.
    What do you mean? I wasn't looking forward to an analysis of my usage of the word "mastery", just useful tips. We all know what I mean, even if somebody may like more to nitpick.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    XXXX
    Socionics
    XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    What do you mean? I wasn't looking forward to an analysis of my usage of the word "mastery", just useful tips. We all know what I mean, even if somebody may like more to nitpick.
    Since this thread was inactive, I was enjoying the aftermath.

If you want more advice, I have a book on the subject that I can recommend, especially if you do not have a teacher.
    Hit like a heavyweight, breathe deep, meditate
    Make the whole crowd get loud, make 'em levitate
    I ride through my city like a presidential candidate
    L-A-X, Phantom double-R, and accelerate