User Tag List

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Annoying traits of each NT type?

Mentally ill compared to what? Who personifies this benchmark? I can recognize severely deficient people such as sociopaths and personality disorders but sometimes they are just average people existing in troubled times. Humans are inherently flawed...
    "A species of perfection and fantasy"......

Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    On the other hand, ENTJs are not that rare. Any ESTJs with sufficient frverloped intuition could become an ENTJ. Conversely ISTJ one othe most common type has a strong relationship with one of the most rare types INTJ. So I say that the MBTi is not that reliable. And any NT type could be rare.
    Its not as simple as developing your weaker functions. MBTI’s Intuition and the Big Five Inventory’s Openness to Experience have a .74 correlation between each other (McCrae, R R; Costa, P T, 1989) and there’s an increasingly large amount of evidence suggesting that Openness to Experience is a genetically heritable quality. Likewise, the relation between MBTI and marriage that kept coming up in surveys was the tendency for Intuitive and Sensors to marry within their functions. It seems very far from something you just ‘work on’ and most people seem to be sufficiently stratified on this function as to segregate each other socially. In terms of real world actions, ENTJs and ESTJs seem to represent some very different, seemingly oppositional ideals that I will go over in another topic (conservatism vs. the visionary order).

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOp View Post
    Mentally ill compared to what? Who personifies this benchmark? I can recognize severely deficient people such as sociopaths and personality disorders but sometimes they are just average people existing in troubled times. Humans are inherently flawed...
    Compared to the cultural norms of the group diagnosing them. The DSM-IV mentioned in my previous post is the “official list” of mental illnesses approved by the American Psychiatric Association. As per title, it is the 4th of its kind with previous additions citing homosexuality as a mental disorder (the listing has been changed to "sexual disorder not otherwise specified" in recent years). My point in the previous post was on how even the DSM-IV is can simply be taken as a list of socially deviant personality traits, those seen as unacceptable by society. I’ve been skeptical about marking any classified disorder as an “illness" per se. Schizophrenia is debilitating enough for me to classify it as such, ADHD not so much.
    Last edited by LunarMoon; 10-19-2008 at 09:27 PM.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I am well aware of the hokum propaganda that is statistics on mental illness.

Let me try to decipher your argument. Is it that you now estimate "At least 3% of the population has Multiple Personality Disorder."?
    psychologists have this ridiculous love affair with statistics. They are desperate to legitimize their "studies" which mostly pass for captain obvious moments.

You would not believe what these psych books in college level classes sound like. They make the most captain f***ing obvious statements and then have to follow EVERY one of their sentences with a citation from "****face et al". Teens with anorexia often suffer from lower self esteem (Assman et al)..adolescent girls care more about their appearance then their boy counterparts (captaindipshit et al)...there are major health disparities in --hugely diverse city-- (NoShitSherlock et al)

I think the moment when i accepted that 91.2% of psych statistics are bullshit was when they tried to teach us that 40% of women are anorexic and that another obscenely large number are obese. When i asked for clarification on how exactly these numbers were reached, and where does one arbitrarily draw the line on a horrible test such as the BMI, I recieved an answer akin to "i dont know". I put up with their bs because i love the GPA cushioning effect psyche classes have.

This thread has gone from listing traits to depicting examples.
    I want something much more different
    Not these factories or prisons
    I wish that the Earth was green again
    I wish I had a gun in my hand

--Blackbird Raum