• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Why are all the NFs jealous of the NTs?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I propose renaming this the Jack Flak self-appreciation thread.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Because we don't feel guilty for appreciating ourselves.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Because "We gonna run you this mornin. We got three boys, do our doity woik. You don't see us. We the big bosses. We do the pay off. After they take cai of you. In they own way. They may shoot you. They may cut you. They may drown you. We just don't know. We don't care. As long as they take cai of you. In they own way. We so mad. We bad this mornin'. Like Jesse James. ...And cryin' ain't gonna help you none."

Wait, wait, that's why everyone is jealous of John Lee Hooker, nevermind.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Jealous of the NT, no. Misunderstanding the NT, absolutely.

An NT's dispassionate deconstruction of an NF "argument" often makes the NF feel bad. So the NT has to preface the deconstruction with disclaimers and caveats and apologies. It's just not worth it half the time. And it sucks receiving a response laden with emotion to a matter-of-fact post. The argument falls apart because both people are coming from different places, and it devolves into "that NT is a jackass" and "that NF is an emo idiot."

If you're a borderline ENTP like me, you end up actually telling the NF you think s/he is an emo idiot. This does not do much to achieve the peace that, especially, the ENFP so desires.

I'm blaming the NF too much, and I don't mean to. It's just that we have fundamentally different communication styles - I think that's where NT and NF discussions have a tendency to break down.

I'll have to think about it some more.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because we don't feel guilty for appreciating ourselves.

Self-appreciation seems like irrational nonsense to me.

If you're a borderline ENTP like me, you end up actually telling the NF you think s/he is an emo idiot. This does not do much to achieve the peace that, especially, the ENFP so desires.

In my experience, ENFPs are quite plausibly among the least piece desiring Feelers I've ever known.

Rajah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
In my experience, ENFPs are quite plausibly among the least piece desiring Feelers I've ever known.
Having been married to one and friends with many more, I'd have to disagree. They're tended to be focused on how everyone in a group is doing, stifling their own responses and smoothing over any disagreements in a group, just to maintain group harmony. This tendency has been of primary importance.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Why are NFs jealous? Aside from the aberration that is my optimization professor who is only very slightly an INFJ (more like INTJ to me), it's because we're smarter. We don't need to spew emo. We can take something apart logically and make anyone else look stupid. The end.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Having been married to one and friends with many more, I'd have to disagree. They're tended to be focused on how everyone in a group is doing, stifling their own responses and smoothing over any disagreements in a group, just to maintain group harmony. This tendency has been of primary importance.

I'll grant that they alter their own behavior based on their ideas of what other people were thinking, but it's not necessarily done to find the best way to mantain piece. Some ENFPs are sensationalists, and crusaders. They like to brew storms.

Our own forum is a good exhibit for that sometimes. And I too have relations, one of my closest friends, and one of my grandmothers.

I wonder if most of the ENFPs you are acquainted with are of the type 9 variety.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Why are NFs jealous? Aside from the aberration that is my optimization professor who is only very slightly an INFJ (more like INTJ to me), it's because we're smarter. We don't need to spew emo. We can take something apart logically and make anyone else look stupid. The end.

If we want to maintain this facade, we should avoid statements like this.

Rajah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'll grant that they alter their own behavior based on their ideas of what other people were thinking, but it's not necessarily done to find the best way to mantain piece. Some ENFPs are sensationalists, and crusaders. They like to brew storms.

Our own forum is a good exhibit for that sometimes. And I too have relations, one of my closest friends, and one of my grandmothers.

I wonder if most of the ENFPs you are acquainted with are of the type 9 variety.
Maybe - just maybe - you can't shove everyone comfortably in the same box?

I think the MBTI needs to account for percentages. A strong F is way different from a weak F, for example.

I've had experiences with peacekeeping ENFPs. I've known an ENFP "sensationalist" with a really, really weak N. For that matter, I've known docile, sweet ISFPs and an ISFP with a mean streak you wouldn't believe. *shrug*

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you even think you're INTP any more?

Yes. I've just decided to jump on the gravy train and go around pointing out everything as irrational, so I can call everyone else a Feeler. All the kids are doing it. :cheese:

On a more serious note, self-appreciation makes sense so far as it is a cause for self-preservation, which is pragmatically desirable in an instinctual, gene driven way.

However, I think consciously seeking cause for self-appreciation, just to indulge in the sense of self-appreciation, does not have much rationale. We need to appreciate what we accomplish or what we desire/gain, more than we appreciate ourselves. To give an extreme example of the problem here, if we completely appreciated everything about ourselves as is, we wouldn't have much of a drive to do anything, so we'd waste away in our filth.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe - just maybe - you can't shove everyone comfortably in the same box?

I agree. Which is why I countered your initial assumption about what ENFPs want. :)

I think the MBTI needs to account for percentages. A strong F is way different from a weak F, for example.

I've had experiences with peacekeeping ENFPs. I've known an ENFP "sensationalist" with a really, really weak N. For that matter, I've known docile, sweet ISFPs and an ISFP with a mean streak you wouldn't believe. *shrug*

Indeed. And there are a lot more complications than just the percentages. I've pointed out in the past that there might need to be a distinction between the quantity of function use, and the quality of function use, in one person. I don't have any bright ideas on how to outline this, though.

Rajah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I take it all back. Maybe it's because of posts like this:

LittleLinguist said:
OMG, if you want examples of maladjusted NT Internet bad-asses take a look at these NT farts - take a look at these arrogant show-offs and their little thread about how great they all are. Wa wah wah wah wah wah (the way the adults in the Peanuts' show). Pffft.

We can't even respond to their petty shit. Oh wait, we don't need to because it is petty shit.

They wonder why we are jealous of them. Pffft - they are jealous of us because we know what is actually important in life.

Jerk-offs.

<end of rant, turns into sweet, charming girl again>

Carry on, folks....

This post is ridiculous in a couple of ways.

First, it is a wholly convoluted attack devoid of substance that simply resorts to fifth-grade namecalling.

Second, I suspect it intends to be tongue-in-cheek and cute, but it fails dramatically on both accounts.

Third, it confuses thoughtful criticism with pettiness.

And fourth, it can't even figure out that you can fucking respond to a post in the other subforum by copying and pasting.

No wonder we end up being so dismissive.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Because we don't take ridiculous exaggerations to heart.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
While I certainly agree with your charge that the post is ridiculous (in more than a couple ways), I think we're dealing with the posting style of an individual, as opposed to the tendencies of an entire demographic.

It'd be like saying that BlueWing speaks for all NTs.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OMG! See what happens when you let an NF in! This thread used to be a hoot!
Now it's a nanny.... :(