• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Famous historical NT's

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Also , the chinese dictator Chiang Kai Shek is another Entj. (Very strong Te, borderline S).

Turkish_Cats

MBTI Type
INTJ
Corrections.

Arthur Schopenhauer was an INFJ. (I could explain to you why I think so based on my readings of his biography and the way his personality in his writings suggested this. Yes, unlike most philosophers his philosophy was fully imbued in its authors personality. Many of his doctrines could have been made in an optimistic or a neutral attitude, and none of his ideas necessitate pessimism, he was just imposing his feelings onto the readers)

Machiavelli seemed like a quintissential ENTP. He had a detached and an impersonal outlook on life, and most of all he had great awareness of his environment. He also knew how to manipulate complex social systems and suggested being very adaptable, a chameleon he was indeed. Machiavelli, both as a writer and as a person had a very informative communication style, not directive.

Dante, I'd argue was also an INFJ. In short, his feelings preceeded his dispassionate thought and relationships played a more important role in his life than pursuit of whateve impersonal goals he had.

Parmenides-INTP
Heraclitus-INTJ
Socrates-INTP
Spinoza-INTP
Leibniz-INTP
Aristotle-INTP
Marx-INTP
Einstein-INTP
Newton-INTP
Galileo-INTP
Darwin-INTP
Copernicus-INTP
Locke-INTJ
Nietzsche-INTJ
Hobbes-INTJ
Napoleon Bonaparte-ENTJ
Alexander the Great-ENTJ(although type logic reports he was an ENTP, but I don't buy it)
Ayn Rand-INTJ
David Hume-ENTP
de Voltaire-ENTP
Bertrand Russell-ENTP
Karl Popper-INTJ
Bill Gates-ENTP

*EDIT:Richard Wagner-ENTJ(thanks Uberfuhrer)

I think Arthur Schopenhauer is an INTJ.Have you read his Parerga und Paralipomena?His views about genius show that he is an INTJ.

Kant and Nietzsche are INTJs too.

Also , the chinese dictator Chiang Kai Shek is another Entj. (Very strong Te, borderline S).

I think so.

(BTW:I'm chinese)

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Looked through a collection of NT-heavy fields: Scientists, Politicians, and Business Leaders respectively. I decided to go with more prominent figures for the purpose of reader familiarity.

Charles Darwin- INTJ
Thomas Edison- ENTJ
Albert Einstein- INTP
Bill Gates- ENTJ
Frederick the Great- ENTJ
Thomas Jefferson- INTJ
Nikola Tesla- ENTP

Darwin: would seem too focused on one area of study to be an INTP, namely his theory of natural selection, which he has become known for to the exclusion of all else (save perhaps his studies in geology); his noted collection of scholarly interests almost seems bizarrely small for such a well financed intellectual when you compare him to the like of Jefferson or Edison.

Thomas Edison: seems to be strangely overlooked as a shrewd businessman or when this aspect of him is noted, lambasted for being a con. Either way he seemed to be far too calculated and practical for an ENTP. The main difference between him and his rival, Nikola Tesla, hinged on his acceptance at playing the financial game. He was the creator and leader of the world’s first recognized scientific research center and was more than willing to throw out ideas and inventions that promised no economic benefits; this often earned him the ire of his employee, Tesla, who was much more interested in the concept of inventing for the mere sake of inventing. He would shut down all facets of his company that failed to meet the economic benchmark and stubbornly promoted his less efficient DC current over Tesla AC in order to achieve a financial and pride-based merit. He was notably efficient at promoting his products, showing an unusually large amount of Te.

Frederick the Great: Difficult to say whether the man was INTJ or ENTJ partly due his seemingly middle-ground status on the trait. He was not known for either being particularly silent or largely social in the same way that Einstein or Edison were. His complete social disconnection from his troops could be seen as evidence of Introversion but his entire military Instructions seem to be far too pragmatic to be Ni-dominant. His ego seemed to be far to loose and easily influenced by the perceptions of other people for him to be INTJ.

Thomas Jefferson: Scholarly and wide-seeing with a large amount of Fi. Morally set against the concept of slavery yet failed to take external action to free his own slaves, indicating less of a logical flow of actions that a Te dominant would have. Extremely action oriented Judging personality who believed that the current government should be dismantled at the surest sign of corruption.

Nikola Tesla: Arrived in New York City from Croatian Krajina with less than a dollar in his pocket. Joined Edison Electric but later quit after several disagreements with his boss about the practical uses of his inventions and a certain incident in which Edison cheated Tesla out of a large sum of money. Brilliant in the creation of his invention but lacked any sort of planned calculation in the promotion of them until his friend, Charles Batchelor, stepped in to handle the job. Became somewhat socially reclusive due to his various eccentricities but carried an Extroverted habit of commonly bragging about his work. Eventually died relatively unknown in comparison to Edison, due to a combination of his rival’s attempts to publicly disparage him and his own lack of attention to public opinion.

Not sure about Bill Gates. I am thinking probably ENTP.. he seems to be a very unsystematic thinker and has a laid back approach to life..perhaps too unconventional to be an ENTJ (Te relies on the external standard a lot)..and he doesnt seem to have a TJ-like directive nature of communication..

Hobbes was likely an INTJ..

Doubtable. He actually seems to be unusually systematic and calculates the efficiency of market related actions even in some of his more notable quotes, he’s interpreted his lack of religious appreciation based on its time inefficiency, and has readily admitted that he takes ‘fairly scientific approach’ to most of his problems. Te is less concerned with the external standards of social norms, which is largely related to Fe, and more concerned with the external standards of objective measurements (points earned, beaker capacity). Perceivers generally aren’t good at leading large groups, organizations, or military structures as they have no set plan or protocol that can be communicated to over 300 people over a set of time. By the time their decision has been communicated to all levels of the hierarchy, the improvised decision of the Perceiver will have changed to meet the current situation before the previous order can even be fully executed.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Wace, 12th century author of Roman de Rou and Roman de Brut, two early French epics, I believe to have been INTP.

The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) - ENTJ

I am sorry but no.

If this man believed in efficiency, he would not have his religion kill so many amongst itself and abroad, and Islamic society would be far more advanced than it is today if it really followed an ENTJ.

I believe that anyone that's a religious nutcase is automatically disqualified from being a T. The key part about us rationals is that we think of how to improve systems and make them more efficient, not just believe some invisible man will do it.

Those who follow ENTJs are, or become NTs themselves. You just have to look at the result of Mohammed's work to see that he was anything but an NT.

Or so I believe.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
There seems to be a shortage of ENTj's here. So i'll add a few :cheese::

Douglas MacArthur
George C Marshall
Franklin Rossevelt (could be ESTP)
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Genghis Khan ?
Napoleon (napoleon has some pretty strong Ne though)
Constantine the Great and several Roman Emperors

By the way, i am not an Entj.

Big YES for Genghis Khan IMO. An amazing general, that didn't give a damn about being politically correct as he scoured his enemies from the face of the earth.

I'm wondering if Benjamin Netanyahu is an ENTJ candidate.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Glenn Gould - INTP.

'though not 'historic'. One day.

MerkW

I question these two. Despite the fact that many claim Kant to be an INTJ, I think that INTP is potentially more suiting. Based off his philosophical writings, I think Ti dominant seems to fit more than Ni dominant. It seems that many seem to conclude that he was a J based off the fact that he had a very regimented routine. However, (A) Kant did not exhibit this pattern until later in life, and (B) such behavior can be attributed to other external factors, such as neurosis.

Darwin: would seem too focused on one area of study to be an INTP, namely his theory of natural selection, which he has become known for to the exclusion of all else (save perhaps his studies in geology); his noted collection of scholarly interests almost seems bizarrely small for such a well financed intellectual when you compare him to the like of Jefferson or Edison.
I think that I agree with you, in the sense that I believe Darwin to be an INTJ rather than an INTP. However, I do not think any of the reasons you have given to support your argument are particularly valid.

Thomas Edison: seems to be strangely overlooked as a shrewd businessman or when this aspect of him is noted, lambasted for being a con. Either way he seemed to be far too calculated and practical for an ENTP. The main difference between him and his rival, Nikola Tesla, hinged on his acceptance at playing the financial game. He was the creator and leader of the world’s first recognized scientific research center and was more than willing to throw out ideas and inventions that promised no economic benefits; this often earned him the ire of his employee, Tesla, who was much more interested in the concept of inventing for the mere sake of inventing. He would shut down all facets of his company that failed to meet the economic benchmark and stubbornly promoted his less efficient DC current over Tesla AC in order to achieve a financial and pride-based merit. He was notably efficient at promoting his products, showing an unusually large amount of Te.
Nikola Tesla: Arrived in New York City from Croatian Krajina with less than a dollar in his pocket. Joined Edison Electric but later quit after several disagreements with his boss about the practical uses of his inventions and a certain incident in which Edison cheated Tesla out of a large sum of money. Brilliant in the creation of his invention but lacked any sort of planned calculation in the promotion of them until his friend, Charles Batchelor, stepped in to handle the job. Became somewhat socially reclusive due to his various eccentricities but carried an Extroverted habit of commonly bragging about his work. Eventually died relatively unknown in comparison to Edison, due to a combination of his rival’s attempts to publicly disparage him and his own lack of attention to public opinion.
I definitely agree with Edison being a Te-dominant. It is unfortunate that many seem to immediately assume Edison to be an Ne dominant because such people often draw the conclusion that, since Ne is the most "inventive" dominant function, and since Edison is one of the most well-known inventors, then he must, therefore be an Ne-dominant. This, of course, is very crude and faulty reasoning. Edison's personality was not very typical for an inventor. He, as you say, was a very pragmatic, business-oriented individual. His behavior certainly indicates Te-dominance. However, I am willing to say that Edison might even be an ESTJ. There is nothing particularly N about him. Unlike Tesla, who would construct vivid mental models of his inventions, Edison was a very trial-and-error, hands-on person.
I am not exactly sure what you mean when you say that Edison was more of a calculating person than Tesla. Quite the contrary, as previously mentioned, Edison spent virtually no time with calculations before he began building--he would simply go ahead and tinker around with mechanics. Tesla, on the other hand, made sure to visualize a model and perform all of the mathematical calculations before he began working.
Tesla's type, on the other hand, is more of a puzzle. Almost certainly an NT, yet probably not ENTJ. It is often hard to determine which aspects of Tesla's behavior were part of his personality, or instead, neurosis. Thus, I/E and P/J seem a bit fuzzy and blurred with him.

heart

heart on fire
To be honest, the paragraph turned me a bit away from NFP (those sort of strongly worded comments usually are too strong for them to indulge in).

An INFP in a Te rant would have no problem using those words, especially in written communication.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Luther seems more like a feeler. ---- INFJ

Someone please tell me my INFJdar is not malfunctioning!

I agree with you, Heart.

Intelligent, but value driven. Practical and eager for change.
But certainly an introvert. He's got that Bob Marley calm but stern about him.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think Arthur Schopenhauer is an INTJ.Have you read his Parerga und Paralipomena?His views about genius show that he is an INTJ.

I think so.

(BTW:I'm chinese)

Yes, I have read his Parerga Paralipomena. It is a 1200 page collection of essays. Some of them reflect a tough-minded perspective, others a value driven.

His idea of genius was as follows. The intellect takes primacy over the passions. We become a weight-less mirror of the world.

This idea is more likely to have been conjured by an NT than an NF. However, other ideas of Schopenhauer suggest otherwise. For example, he maintained that the arts are more efficient than the sciences in acquisition of genius is one.

The other is where he states that the deepest thoughts come from the heart.

His pessimism appears to be altogether unfounded, and many of his followers are better known for having an emotional conversion to Schopenhauerianism than the intellectual. His opinion on women, the worthlesness of human life, and the need for a self-denying lifestyle are expressed with great conviction, yet not much is propounded by way of solid logical arguments in favor of this cause.

As we see, his argument to support this is metaphysical. Namely that the Will is always restless and blind. Suffocates the mind's peace. That is of course true, but does not provide any sound reason for us to believe that we will never have the inner peace. As Schopenhauer does not specify to what extent the Will is restless and to what extent is must be pacified in order for inner peace to take hold. He fills in the gap in his argument with a value-based assertion. So is the case for many of his ideas.

However, in order to clearly understand Schopenhauer's type, we must first of all focus on his biography.

There we find that he was an emotional boy who was deeply hurt by his mother's rejection of him, and that played a very significant role in how he has come to see the world. His opinion of women and profound pessimism without a doubt are rooted in this. When we review how he has attempted to deal with this matter, we see his true natural predilections manifest. He emotionalized the situation, he did not sit back to detach or react with anger. Much unlike Nietzsche who was forced to deal with the family who never understood him.

He enjoyed entertaining people at a restaurant nearly every night, and his direct reaction to the emotional feedback he has received from his audience could not have been any more clear-cut. He clearly fed off their feelings more than of their thoughts. He was remembered by most of his listeners for how he was able to present his thoughts on German culture and politics in a way that was interesting to nearly all of his listeners.

Such attunement with the audience is quite uncommon among INTJs and often paralleled only be ENFPs who have a broad view of the person-centered situation yet retain enough of the Thinking essence to properly structure their presentation.

Schopenhauer implicitly longed for approbation with great intensity and his rancor against Hegel and the professors of philosophy is one example of this. He was chiefly upset with the fact that Hegel held a very prestigious position at an elite university. He was merely jealous.

It should also be noted that just like Bryan Magee, perhaps his most well known popularizer Schopenhauer did not see intellectual pursuits as the most important thing in life. As his earlier proposition that the arts conduce more to the perfection of the intellect than the sciences seem to suggest. He first and foremost loved art, and was one of the most frequent visitors to the theatre in his town. He endorsed many superstitions which he has inherited from the Eastern Religious dogmatists which he hardly bothered to subject to critical analysis, must have assumed them to be his sacred values. Many of the absurdities in his Magnus Opus seem to reflect this. He has presented them as gospel not by virtue of sound argument, but through forcefulness of conviction. Bertrand Russell reports that Schopenhauer claimed that several passages in his World as Will and Representation were written by the Holy Spirit, as well as that he has endorsed black magic. I would be hardly surprised to find confirmation for that claim of Russell's. I remember Schopenhauer employing the following phrase 'whoever doubts the integrity of **this practice** should be called not a skeptic but not ignoramus'. I do not remember what this practice was, but it was clearly along the lines of some hocus pocus akin to alchemy. His favorite reading was literature and had mastered 7 languages. Fine arts, literature and foreign language are clearly closer linked with Feeling rather than thinking and it is not at all surprising that INFPs report the easiest time with learning foreign languages and are over-represented in that department.

Schopenhauer was a value driven individual. From the time he switched residence because he 'HATED' fighting to how he clung to his pessimism, mysogyny and superstitions concerning spirituality. Most of which he seemingly refused to subject to dispassionate philosophical scrutiny.

His philosophy was thoroughly imbued in his personality and was for the most part an instrument to appease his values at the expense of intellectual integrity. For this reason many of his ridiculous superstitions and values he acquired as a result of his upbringing were not renounced no matter how scholarly he became.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Leonardo DaVinci, ENTP

Alfred Hitchcock, ENTP

Stanley Kubrick, INTJ

Glenn Gould, INTJ

Ludwig van Beethoven, ENTP

C.S. Lewis, INTJ

Ray Harryhausen, ENTP

Dick Cheney, ENTJ (and as far as I'm concerned, he should have been dead a long time ago)

Karl Rove: ENTJ ( I don't know about cheney)
Hitchcock: ISTJ (according to Beebe)
Beethoven: definately prefers introverted feeling. (_SFP or _NTJ)

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
BW Wrote:

"Parmenides-INTP
Heraclitus-INTJ
Socrates-INTP
Spinoza-INTP
Leibniz-INTP
Aristotle-INTP
Marx-INTP
Einstein-INTP
Newton-INTP
Galileo-INTP
Darwin-INTP
Copernicus-INTP
Locke-INTJ
Nietzsche-INTJ
Hobbes-INTJ
Napoleon Bonaparte-ENTJ
Alexander the Great-ENTJ(although type logic reports he was an ENTP, but I don't buy it)
Ayn Rand-INTJ
David Hume-ENTP
de Voltaire-ENTP
Bertrand Russell-ENTP
Karl Popper-INTJ
Bill Gates-ENTP"

How predictable. Now I'll revise it and include the people he compulsively typed as __TPs or introverts.

(And how the hell do you know who alexander the great was? There's barely any non-myth stuff about him, and my guess is that he's an extraverted sensing type.)

Galileo was definately an ENTJ (duh!)
Newton preffered extraverted thinking (my guess is INTJ)

Everyone you respect is convieniently an INTP according to you. How pathetic.

Jgib5328

MBTI Type
INTJ
Corrections.

Arthur Schopenhauer was an INFJ. (I could explain to you why I think so based on my readings of his biography and the way his personality in his writings suggested this. Yes, unlike most philosophers his philosophy was fully imbued in its authors personality. Many of his doctrines could have been made in an optimistic or a neutral attitude, and none of his ideas necessitate pessimism, he was just imposing his feelings onto the readers)

Machiavelli seemed like a quintissential ENTP. He had a detached and an impersonal outlook on life, and most of all he had great awareness of his environment. He also knew how to manipulate complex social systems and suggested being very adaptable, a chameleon he was indeed. Machiavelli, both as a writer and as a person had a very informative communication style, not directive.

Dante, I'd argue was also an INFJ. In short, his feelings preceeded his dispassionate thought and relationships played a more important role in his life than pursuit of whateve impersonal goals he had.

Parmenides-INTP
Heraclitus-INTJ
Socrates-INTP
Spinoza-INTP
Leibniz-INTP
Aristotle-INTP
Marx-INTP
Einstein-INTP
Newton-INTP
Galileo-INTP
Darwin-INTP
Copernicus-INTP
Locke-INTJ
Nietzsche-INTJ
Hobbes-INTJ
Napoleon Bonaparte-ENTJ
Ayn Rand-INTJ
David Hume-ENTP
de Voltaire-ENTP
Bertrand Russell-ENTP
Karl Popper-INTJ
Bill Gates-ENTP

*EDIT:Richard Wagner-ENTJ(thanks Uberfuhrer)

Why do you think is Newton an INTP over INTJ?

heart

heart on fire
Newton was a mystic. Aren't they usually more apt to be INTJ?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why do you think is Newton an INTP over INTJ?

That was an error on my part. Newton is an INTJ. I have overlooked a significant portion of his biography which has evinced a stronger psychological predisposition towards Intuition rather than Thinking.