User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 86

  1. #61
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Anyone named him for a famous historical NT, yet ? xD

    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  2. #62
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    I disagree with Warren Buffet being an entp. Warren buffet's investment strategy is extremely risk averse, and focus much more on analysis and logic than random intuition. So this rules Ne out. He would be much more likely an IXTJ.
    A) Intuition is not random. It's probably best described as insight. Investment can use a lot of logic and analysis, but it also requires insight that most people do not have. If investment did not require insight, then a lot of people could replicate what Warren Buffet does simply by applying reason. In other words we should expect to see a ton of investment billionaires around if logic and analysis were all that was required.

    B) I watched a one hour interview with Warren Buffet a couple of months ago and he was cracking jokes and acting silly through the whole thing. If that doesn't describe an ENTP, then I don't know what does.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  3. #63
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish_Cats View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------


    I have much to say,but I'm afraid that now I have a little difficultness in English.I can't communicate my ideas clearly.



    INFJ:
    Dominant Introverted Intuition (Ni)
    Auxiliary Extraverted Feeling (Fe)
    Tertiary Introverted Thinking (Ti)
    Inferior Extraverted Sensing (Se)

    INTJ:
    Dominant Introverted Intuition (Ni)
    Auxiliary Extraverted Thinking (Te)
    Tertiary Introverted Feeling (Fi)
    Inferior Extraverted Sensing(Se)

    The reason to believe that Schopenhauer was an Extroverted Feeling type is that he was very direct in his expression of values. This we see in Parerga Und Paralipomena where he speaks of German pride and the need for a solitary lifestyle. He often makes claims such as 'those of you who have understood my philosophy without a dout will embrace this', he sought to persuade not through a rationale but through forcefulness of conviction.

    He did not get reclusive and melancholy about his passions like the Fi types, he went out to champion them every chance he got as explicitly as possible.

    Schopenhauer's genius was chiefly manifestation of Ni. However this does little to sugges that he was an INTJ rather than an INFJ.

    Hegel was an INTP. Yes, Schopenhauer did have intellectual reasons for reviling Hegel, as he thought his philosophy was unsound. However, his personal reasons seem to far outweigh the intellectual as he often refers to him as the 'wretched charlatan'. He also wrote about his dismay for Hegel for confusing the minds of the youth. This is also more akin to Fe, as he was concerned for the welfare of his environment, unlike a Te type who sought to impose an impersonal regime onto his environment, E.G Nietzsche.

    Schopenhauer was a very serious person, yes, almost from the get-go, however, this is not evidence of him being a Te type rather than Fe. A more plausible explanation that I see is that his Ni was preponderous over Fe.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    The reason to believe that Schopenhauer was an Extroverted Feeling type is that he was very direct in his expression of values. This we see in Parerga Und Paralipomena where he speaks of German pride and the need for a solitary lifestyle. He often makes claims such as 'those of you who have understood my philosophy without a dout will embrace this', he sought to persuade not through a rationale but through forcefulness of conviction.

    He did not get reclusive and melancholy about his passions like the Fi types, he went out to champion them every chance he got as explicitly as possible.

    Schopenhauer's genius was chiefly manifestation of Ni. However this does little to sugges that he was an INTJ rather than an INFJ.

    Hegel was an INTP. Yes, Schopenhauer did have intellectual reasons for reviling Hegel, as he thought his philosophy was unsound. However, his personal reasons seem to far outweigh the intellectual as he often refers to him as the 'wretched charlatan'. He also wrote about his dismay for Hegel for confusing the minds of the youth. This is also more akin to Fe, as he was concerned for the welfare of his environment, unlike a Te type who sought to impose an impersonal regime onto his environment, E.G Nietzsche.

    Schopenhauer was a very serious person, yes, almost from the get-go, however, this is not evidence of him being a Te type rather than Fe. A more plausible explanation that I see is that his Ni was preponderous over Fe.
    It's happy to talk with you.
    Neither Schopenhauer nor MBTI is popular in China,it's difficult to find someone to talk about both of them.In fact,we have no complete translated version of The World as Will and Representation and other Schopenhauer 's works.
    Although almost all the Chinese know Karl Max,only few are interested in studying communism.Philosophy is strange to most people.


    By the way:Is Spinoza an INTP?
    Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. --Kant

    Enneagram: 5?1
    Functional Strengths: Ni, Te, Fi, Ti, Si, Fe, Ne, Se

  5. #65
    Senior Member Uytuun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    nnnn
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Very interesting to see how I am naturally drawn more towards the philosophers BW describes as INTJ: Nietzsche, Hobbes, Popper...even Heraclitos.

  6. #66
    Senior Member LunarMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3
    Socionics
    ENTJ
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    I disagree. ENTJs use Se as often as ENTPs use Fe. Both types do not know how use to these functrions properly.
    Simply because ENTJs dont use it as efficiently as pure Artisans doesnt mean they dont use it; even a types inferior function will influence them to an extent, causing many of the weaknesses that most will associate with a given type. In the case of a Tertiary Function, the qualities of that function will be manifested as a clumsily but still visibly used appendage. For example, due to their tertiary Fi INTJs may subscribe to an unusually strong and thorough moral code in comparison to their Rational peers. But the manner in which its manifested is far more clumsy and even dogmatic in view of how its used by an INFP.

    Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    Low conscientiousness and high openess to experience is an EP trait, making estp's more similar to entps than entjs.
    Low Conscientiousness and high Openness to Experience is an xxNP trait so Artisans dont inherently possess it. High Openness to Experience is related to Intuition, not Perceiving. Likewise, the external behavior of an MBTI type is controlled in large part by the functions as opposed to the simple dichotomy. An ENTJs functional make-up is a lot closer to that of an ESTP than an ENTPs is and regardless of how the dichotomy shows up, the Perceiving behavior of an ENTP simply wont have the specific characteristics of Se.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    What is more nuts about this paragraph is that Warren Buffet is an ENTP. If he doesn't know how to handle money, then who does?
    I agree with Untypable. His manner of accumulating money is very different from the way in which Bill Gates or Ted Turner succeeded in doing so, through collection of enterprises and calculated risks. Warren Buffet, while very successful within his business and stock trading history, is notable for how ridiculously frugal he is for a billionaire. Hes lived in the same house for thirty years and has rarely made any expensive purchases. In comparison, Bill Gates previously bought a home for $125 million at a continuing property tax of $991,000 per year. Warren almost seems SJ in his philosophy on money.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    For example Warren Buffet, an ENTP, succeeds because he knows how to pick stocks better than anyone else.

    A) Intuition is not random. It's probably best described as insight. Investment can use a lot of logic and analysis, but it also requires insight that most people do not have. If investment did not require insight, then a lot of people could replicate what Warren Buffet does simply by applying reason. In other words we should expect to see a ton of investment billionaires around if logic and analysis were all that was required.
    That can be either Ni or Ne at work since both are rare functions. Its much more likely to be Ni since the entire purpose behind the function is to predict the future of situations and assets.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    In the case of Bill Gates and Microsoft, their success is due to being the first company in the software industry. Before Bill Gates everyone thought that the money was in hardware. He had the idea of licensing software and turning it into a marketable product.
    Both of the Intuitive functions are rare and would be likely to produce an edge in the market. A focus on unconventional ideas is a primary feature of Intuitives in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The success of Microsoft has more to do with Gates' cleverness than his ability to maximize efficiency. A thinker's approach would be to make the best product possible and maximize the efficiency of the company. That is more similar to Apple's approach. Microsoft on the other hand is characterized by using tricks to force out competition and maintain monopoly-like control.

    His approach to beating AC current was to trick people into thinking it was evil (by associating it with the electric chair). Again the focus on cleverness and trickery is more of a hallmark of ENTP.
    Te combined with Ni doesnt just maximize efficiency. Te combined with Si attempts to maximize efficiency while simultaneously preserving the current conditions while Ni seeks to maximize efficiency in view of a targeted vision or goal. Cleverness and unconventional approaches to situations is more so a facet of Openness to Experience than anything else. An ENTP is more likely to improvise an Indiana Jones-esque escape route while an INTJ has a higher chance of planning a clever scheme based on a predicted domino effect and conveniently placed pawns, ala the Count of Monte Cristo or the more realistic situation you described. Ni and Ne approach clever actions in these two differing ways while Te within ENTJs never acts by itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Likewise on the case of Edison the very fact that his company is focused on creating patents practically guarantees he's an ENTP. A company focused on cranking out new ideas and products is basically an ENTP dream.
    As noted by Jack Flak, most of his inventions were soon to be produced by someone else and many of his most famous ones such as the carbon filament light bulb were simply improvements in efficiency on another inventor's model. His only real ENTP quality was that he was an inventor who continually produced good ideas, which is a quality shared by several other non-ENTP figures throughout history. His Te-based actions, flaws, and personality characteristics were far more numerous, including the efficiency based flaw that helped to lower his relationship with Tesla, his rejection of Teslas less financially practical ideas.


    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    B) I watched a one hour interview with Warren Buffet a couple of months ago and he was cracking jokes and acting silly through the whole thing. If that doesn't describe an ENTP, then I don't know what does.
    Surely you wouldnt imply that all comedians are ENTP? Ive seen ISTJs capable of cracking jokes. Humor is a very basic human quality.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

  7. #67
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    Surely you wouldnt imply that all comedians are ENTP? Ive seen ISTJs capable of cracking jokes. Humor is a very basic human quality.
    I'm starting to think that you wouldn't recognize an ENTP if one came up and bit you on the nose. I can tell you that it will be a lot easier to come up with a list of ENTP comics than ISTJ ones. The thing with ENxP's is that regardless of their profession it's very common for them to have an overactive sense of humor. One would not expect an ISTJ CEO to crack jokes constantly throughout an interview. An overactive sense of humor is what you expect from an ENxP.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  8. #68
    Senior Member LunarMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3
    Socionics
    ENTJ
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I can tell you that it will be a lot easier to come up with a list of ENTP comics than ISTJ ones.
    That's exactly my point. Even the ISTJ, the personality stereotyped as being the most inhumorous of them all, demonstrates an appreciation for humor. I.E. humor is a basic human quality that can be found within any type. Stating that a famous figure demonstrates a penchant for telling jokes doesn't designate them as one of the sixteen personality types.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The thing with ENxP's is that regardless of their profession it's very common for them to have an overactive sense of humor. An overactive sense of humor is what you expect from an ENxP.
    The same can be said for all of the Artisans and every one of the Rationals, though in the case of INTJs and INTPs, they carry an Introverted personality so it often isnt apparent. A sense humor has more to do with high creativity than being of a specific personality type (Getzels and Jackson 1962), and many of the types possess that, INTJs included.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

  9. #69
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    That's exactly my point. Even the ISTJ, the personality stereotyped as being the most inhumorous of them all, demonstrates an appreciation for humor. I.E. humor is a basic human quality that can be found within any type. Stating that a famous figure demonstrates a penchant for telling jokes doesn't designate them as one of the sixteen personality types.

    The same can be said for all of the Artisans and every one of the Rationals, though in the case of INTJs and INTPs, they carry an Introverted personality so it often isnt apparent. A sense humor has more to do with high creativity than being of a specific personality type (Getzels and Jackson 1962), and many of the types possess that, INTJs included.
    Warren Buffet displays a overactive sense of humor like an ENxP would. I'm not talking about having a sense of humor that you keep to yourself, lol. Warren Buffet acts like an ENxP, because he's an ENTP. It's not just that he tells an occasional joke. He was making jokes the whole time spontaneously...like an ENTP.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  10. #70
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish_Cats View Post
    By the way:Is Spinoza an INTP?
    Yes.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Famous historical NF's
    By substitute in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 08:26 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Famous historical SP/SJ's
    By substitute in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 11:39 AM
  3. [SP] Famous Historical SPs
    By 6sticks in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 03:18 PM
  4. Famous living NTs
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 01:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO