User Tag List

First 23456 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Martin Luther - XNTP
    Luther seems more like a feeler. ---- INFJ

Someone please tell me my INFJdar is not malfunctioning!

MBTI
    INTJ

Vladimir Putin is an INTJ.

A Tsar Is Born - Person of the Year 2007 - TIME

Look at the pic and read the article.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Luther seems more like a feeler. ---- INFJ

Someone please tell me my INFJdar is not malfunctioning!
    I agree with you, Heart.

Intelligent, but value driven. Practical and eager for change.
    But certainly an introvert. He's got that Bob Marley calm but stern about him.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INTP

Douglas Adams - INTP?
    Richard Feynman - ENTP!
    "He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."
    Douglas Adams

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish_Cats View Post
    I think Arthur Schopenhauer is an INTJ.Have you read his Parerga und Paralipomena?His views about genius show that he is an INTJ.

Kant and Nietzsche are INTJs too.

I think so.

(BTW:I'm chinese)
    Yes, I have read his Parerga Paralipomena. It is a 1200 page collection of essays. Some of them reflect a tough-minded perspective, others a value driven.

His idea of genius was as follows. The intellect takes primacy over the passions. We become a weight-less mirror of the world.

This idea is more likely to have been conjured by an NT than an NF. However, other ideas of Schopenhauer suggest otherwise. For example, he maintained that the arts are more efficient than the sciences in acquisition of genius is one.

The other is where he states that the deepest thoughts come from the heart.

His pessimism appears to be altogether unfounded, and many of his followers are better known for having an emotional conversion to Schopenhauerianism than the intellectual. His opinion on women, the worthlesness of human life, and the need for a self-denying lifestyle are expressed with great conviction, yet not much is propounded by way of solid logical arguments in favor of this cause.

As we see, his argument to support this is metaphysical. Namely that the Will is always restless and blind. Suffocates the mind's peace. That is of course true, but does not provide any sound reason for us to believe that we will never have the inner peace. As Schopenhauer does not specify to what extent the Will is restless and to what extent is must be pacified in order for inner peace to take hold. He fills in the gap in his argument with a value-based assertion. So is the case for many of his ideas.

However, in order to clearly understand Schopenhauer's type, we must first of all focus on his biography.

There we find that he was an emotional boy who was deeply hurt by his mother's rejection of him, and that played a very significant role in how he has come to see the world. His opinion of women and profound pessimism without a doubt are rooted in this. When we review how he has attempted to deal with this matter, we see his true natural predilections manifest. He emotionalized the situation, he did not sit back to detach or react with anger. Much unlike Nietzsche who was forced to deal with the family who never understood him.

He enjoyed entertaining people at a restaurant nearly every night, and his direct reaction to the emotional feedback he has received from his audience could not have been any more clear-cut. He clearly fed off their feelings more than of their thoughts. He was remembered by most of his listeners for how he was able to present his thoughts on German culture and politics in a way that was interesting to nearly all of his listeners.

Such attunement with the audience is quite uncommon among INTJs and often paralleled only be ENFPs who have a broad view of the person-centered situation yet retain enough of the Thinking essence to properly structure their presentation.

Schopenhauer implicitly longed for approbation with great intensity and his rancor against Hegel and the professors of philosophy is one example of this. He was chiefly upset with the fact that Hegel held a very prestigious position at an elite university. He was merely jealous.

It should also be noted that just like Bryan Magee, perhaps his most well known popularizer Schopenhauer did not see intellectual pursuits as the most important thing in life. As his earlier proposition that the arts conduce more to the perfection of the intellect than the sciences seem to suggest. He first and foremost loved art, and was one of the most frequent visitors to the theatre in his town. He endorsed many superstitions which he has inherited from the Eastern Religious dogmatists which he hardly bothered to subject to critical analysis, must have assumed them to be his sacred values. Many of the absurdities in his Magnus Opus seem to reflect this. He has presented them as gospel not by virtue of sound argument, but through forcefulness of conviction. Bertrand Russell reports that Schopenhauer claimed that several passages in his World as Will and Representation were written by the Holy Spirit, as well as that he has endorsed black magic. I would be hardly surprised to find confirmation for that claim of Russell's. I remember Schopenhauer employing the following phrase 'whoever doubts the integrity of **this practice** should be called not a skeptic but not ignoramus'. I do not remember what this practice was, but it was clearly along the lines of some hocus pocus akin to alchemy. His favorite reading was literature and had mastered 7 languages. Fine arts, literature and foreign language are clearly closer linked with Feeling rather than thinking and it is not at all surprising that INFPs report the easiest time with learning foreign languages and are over-represented in that department.

Schopenhauer was a value driven individual. From the time he switched residence because he 'HATED' fighting to how he clung to his pessimism, mysogyny and superstitions concerning spirituality. Most of which he seemingly refused to subject to dispassionate philosophical scrutiny.

His philosophy was thoroughly imbued in his personality and was for the most part an instrument to appease his values at the expense of intellectual integrity. For this reason many of his ridiculous superstitions and values he acquired as a result of his upbringing were not renounced no matter how scholarly he became.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Leonardo DaVinci, ENTP

Alfred Hitchcock, ENTP

Stanley Kubrick, INTJ

Glenn Gould, INTJ

Ludwig van Beethoven, ENTP

C.S. Lewis, INTJ

Ray Harryhausen, ENTP

Dick Cheney, ENTJ (and as far as I'm concerned, he should have been dead a long time ago)
    Karl Rove: ENTJ ( I don't know about cheney)
    Hitchcock: ISTJ (according to Beebe)
    Beethoven: definately prefers introverted feeling. (_SFP or _NTJ)

MBTI
    ENTP

BW Wrote:

"Parmenides-INTP
    Heraclitus-INTJ
    Socrates-INTP
    Spinoza-INTP
    Leibniz-INTP
    Aristotle-INTP
    Marx-INTP
    Einstein-INTP
    Newton-INTP
    Galileo-INTP
    Darwin-INTP
    Copernicus-INTP
    Locke-INTJ
    Nietzsche-INTJ
    Hobbes-INTJ
    Napoleon Bonaparte-ENTJ
    Alexander the Great-ENTJ(although type logic reports he was an ENTP, but I don't buy it)
    Ayn Rand-INTJ
    David Hume-ENTP
    de Voltaire-ENTP
    Bertrand Russell-ENTP
    Karl Popper-INTJ
    Bill Gates-ENTP"

How predictable. Now I'll revise it and include the people he compulsively typed as __TPs or introverts.

(And how the hell do you know who alexander the great was? There's barely any non-myth stuff about him, and my guess is that he's an extraverted sensing type.)

Galileo was definately an ENTJ (duh!)
    Newton preffered extraverted thinking (my guess is INTJ)

Everyone you respect is convieniently an INTP according to you. How pathetic.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Corrections.

Arthur Schopenhauer was an INFJ. (I could explain to you why I think so based on my readings of his biography and the way his personality in his writings suggested this. Yes, unlike most philosophers his philosophy was fully imbued in its authors personality. Many of his doctrines could have been made in an optimistic or a neutral attitude, and none of his ideas necessitate pessimism, he was just imposing his feelings onto the readers)

Machiavelli seemed like a quintissential ENTP. He had a detached and an impersonal outlook on life, and most of all he had great awareness of his environment. He also knew how to manipulate complex social systems and suggested being very adaptable, a chameleon he was indeed. Machiavelli, both as a writer and as a person had a very informative communication style, not directive.

Dante, I'd argue was also an INFJ. In short, his feelings preceeded his dispassionate thought and relationships played a more important role in his life than pursuit of whateve impersonal goals he had.

Parmenides-INTP
    Heraclitus-INTJ
    Socrates-INTP
    Spinoza-INTP
    Leibniz-INTP
    Aristotle-INTP
    Marx-INTP
    Einstein-INTP
    Newton-INTP
    Galileo-INTP
    Darwin-INTP
    Copernicus-INTP
    Locke-INTJ
    Nietzsche-INTJ
    Hobbes-INTJ
    Napoleon Bonaparte-ENTJ
    Alexander the Great-ENTJ(although type logic reports he was an ENTP, but I don't buy it)
    Ayn Rand-INTJ
    David Hume-ENTP
    de Voltaire-ENTP
    Bertrand Russell-ENTP
    Karl Popper-INTJ
    Bill Gates-ENTP

*EDIT:Richard Wagner-ENTJ(thanks Uberfuhrer)
    Why do you think is Newton an INTP over INTJ?

heart on fire

Newton was a mystic. Aren't they usually more apt to be INTJ?

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jgib5328 View Post
    Why do you think is Newton an INTP over INTJ?
    That was an error on my part. Newton is an INTJ. I have overlooked a significant portion of his biography which has evinced a stronger psychological predisposition towards Intuition rather than Thinking.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/