• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How to sustain a conversation that you have no interest in?

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
Can anyone share "tips" on how to circumvent my true nature (intj). Finding boring people interesting. It seems this is the one thing I have trouble mastering. I have tried everything and it just gets worse.......:hi: My best buddy (istj) can do this effortlessly.....uncanny in his ability to connect with people. I think he is just selfishly lying to them but he doesnt see it like that.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Well there's no way to make you find boring people and conversation interesting, but you can create a more interesting conversation with yourself in your head while at the same time pleasantly nodding and exerting the low amount of cognitive dedication it takes to carry on with the boring person.

Maybe you could try to figure out how to escape and avoid these kinds of conversations in the first place?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Lol, why would you ever want to sustain a conversation for which you have no interest in?

:huh:

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
nod a few times, avoid direct eye contact, say "uh-huh" occasionally, roll your eyes, walk away while they're mid-sentence

this has nothing to do with the OP, its just what my reaction would have been.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Wow, life suuuuurrrrre is hard for you smart folks, huh?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I suck at this too. I usually make an excuse to get away. Otherwise, I try to think of more interesting topics and milk the person for useful information, usually psychology or their field of study.

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
Wow, life suuuuurrrrre is hard for you smart folks, huh?

Thats not what I was saying....he said he looks for common ground. Something to embelish on...and I truly admire his patience. I can only do it for about 3 minutes....5 when I'm drunk. He can do it for hours...and is a master. Needless to say he gets laid more than Ron Jeremy. I'm no slouch (for an intj) but I get jealous.:violin: I can see HOW he does it...just cant do it.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I just engage in a completely different conversation with the person in my head.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Sometimes I say "I don't want to have this conversation. I hate small talk." Which isn't always true, it depends on the delivery. I love small talk with certain people.

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
I should embelish....I shut down out of fear of being parasitic. I can size people up in a nanosecond. Flaws and triumphs...maybe he finds jems in what I would never consider "jewely"...or dont want to dig through the "baggage". (its dirty business) I refuse to flaunt my wealth...I am arrogant in a very non-arrogant, covert way. Am I more of a liar? I dont want to 'lie" to get my primal needs met (but still desire to have them met).....he has no problem with knowing the short-term scenario will ultimately fail.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i'll call this a strength of mine. i guess the only key is to add your own personality to the conversation. i make jokes all the time, even if the subject matter itself is boring to me.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Can anyone share "tips" on how to circumvent my true nature (intj). Finding boring people interesting. It seems this is the one thing I have trouble mastering. I have tried everything and it just gets worse.......:hi: My best buddy (istj) can do this effortlessly.....uncanny in his ability to connect with people. I think he is just selfishly lying to them but he doesnt see it like that.

Ask them anything you can think of, and mention anything you know about what their answer is.

For instance, ask them what kind of music they like, and then either mention what you know about that genre/band, or ask more about it. The trick is to keep bringing up any simple, non-offensive topic you can think of, and inquiring further about their answers, as if you're really interested.

Alternatively, you can just try to make really bad puns, let them mock your lousy humor, and then say something self-deprecating about your sense of humor. Sometimes they get a kick out of that. That only works for a while before it gets old, though.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
. I can size people up in a nanosecond. Flaws and triumphs...maybe he finds jems in what I would never consider "jewely"...or dont want to dig through the "baggage". (its dirty business) I refuse to flaunt my wealth...I am arrogant in a very non-arrogant way.

Hit on Carbon Cold. Problem solved. Edgey as Hell, but....in a kinda discreet way, y'know ?

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
Hit on Carbon Cold. Problem solved. Edgey as Hell, but....in a kinda discreet way, y'know ?

Yes, but I never rule out the "human element"...maybe I am an "idealistist. I hope there is more than seeing my species as a sheet of metal that I have to bang on and form to my liking.......I would rather it be in a shape that I already like.:)

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Yes, but I never rule out the "human element"...maybe I am an "idealistist. I hope there is more than seeing my species as a sheet of metal that I have to bang on and form to my liking.......I would rather it be in a shape that I already like.:)
:)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
put a noose around your neck and dangle off of every word they said
blah

LucrativeSid

Could you give an example? What is the conversation, what is the situation, and what is the person like?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could you give an example? What is the conversation, what is the situation, and what is the person like?

just think of any thing that bores you
like an antiques road show
then tilt your head to the side and make funny noises as your face contorts

" really ? "
" and how does that work ? "
" i don't get it, if blah blah blah "
" ok then "
" hmm "
" yeesh "