User Tag List

123 Last

Default Dealing with the tedium of life

I've come to the realization that I find almost everything I am familiar with "tedious." Perhaps you could call it feeling like I'm in a rut.

It is a strange feeling in that it is also too comfortable for me to want to change it.

Rationally speaking, it seems like I would be giving up what many people would love to have.

I tell myself, I am being ungrateful, and that I should look on the bright-side of things.

I tell myself, that it doesn't matter what I change. If I don't get my mind-right, it won't matter what I do to change the situation.

But I've tred for well over two years to get my "mind right," but the situation still seems soul-sucking. If anything, my mind has proven to the rest of me that it was right, the situation sucks.

I'm the proverbial frog being slowly boiled alive, as the temperature (tedium) increases.

I feel like I am slowly being bored to death.

It's not just my job (though I believe that is a big part of it). I don't want to do anything that is of consequence.

My trash piles-up till my room-mate finally takes it out. I have once again, not done laundry in over a month. I don't remember the last time I cleaned house. I don't exercise. I can barely make it into work, and getting myself to do even the simplest thing is an exercise in mental manipulation.

I just want to sleep (and sleep a lot), day-dream a bit, watch TV, and surf the web. It's not that I see a point in doing these particular activities, but I find I naturally do these things without exerting conscious effort. I don't see the point of doing any activity, really.

I don't really even want to eat, but somehow I have managed to get at least one meal a day (usually two).

I loose my train of thought easily.

Anyone have tips for dealing with tedium?--extremely long-term tedium?

It doesn't feel like the deep depression I had earlier, in that I am not sad--I actually don't feel much of anything, strongly.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I relate.

I prefer a loud agony to a quiet death.

:/
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It seems like you're still depressed and suffering from a loss of hope. Have you considered talking to a professional?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    It seems like you're still depressed and suffering from a loss of hope. Have you considered talking to a professional?
    Will be going to psych. hospital in a couple of hours, for an evaluation.

I think I ignored the warning signs.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

Are you checking in as voluntary?

MBTI
    INTP

I can definitely relate to everything you've said. I find myself in pretty much the same situation right now. Everything just feels like a giant chore, and I default to the things that don't feel that way.

Last night, I had a friend call me out on not being around enough to talk with her. I mean, I'm always there for her when she needs me, but she was talking about just being present for the everyday chatting that doesn't really go anywhere. Sometimes, no matter how much I enjoy someone's company, it feels like work to maintain friendships. When I'm feeling more energetic/optimistic, it's fine, and I enjoy it. When I'm not, it's just one more thing life is demanding from me. I know my friends miss me when I default to hermit mode, but when I'm there, I just feel like I don't have anything to give. I can't explain to others why I'm fine spending time on a social message board, but don't feel chatty otherwise.

I think a lot of what you've described is dysthymia, ygolo. It's sort of a low-grade, persistent depression that can last years. It sort of slowly sucks the life out of you, rather than being the anvil of depression that drops on your head.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Are you checking in as voluntary?
    Not checking-in, just going for an evaluation.

Robot Fusion

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Not checking-in, just going for an evaluation.
    Oh I see. I think that's a wise move. Good for you for gathering the courage and energy to take a step like that, which I think is big and will give you some momentum.

As to the topic, I get annoyed with tedium, but I don't think it has the same effect on me. I think it's because your mood is driving your perception (of being surrounding by boredom and tedium) rather than the other way around.