User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    The INTJ anger thread has me pondering another question. A handful of the INTJ responses seem to indicate (or outright state) that they saw a lot of anger when they were little.

This may be too personal to ask on a forum since people who grew up in abusive households tend to want to hide it, but I'm really curious if there is a pattern here.

If you are an INTJ (or maybe another Introverted Intuitive?), did you witness physical violence or 'scary' expressions of anger repeatedly as a child?

I actually DID, and I always thought my need to control my anger stemmed from these experiences growing up. Anger WAS scary and it took me a long time to realize that sometimes anger is justified.

Thoughts?

I hate child abuse and I cant guarantee to not be self-righteous and kill someone, who abuses the weak....

But I find it on a scale-as-large-as-the-universe wrong to look for a possible reason to a possible malfunction that makes one INTJ.

INTJ is no malfunction. INTJ is a personality trait. One of the famoust INTJ's and geniuses in our lifetime could have been Leonardo da Vinci and it is absolutely not right, if you do not fit into the general understanding or your own wishful thinking in society and then discard your personality as an illness...

Sry, I cant put it in words, but the OP is just wrong *tilt*
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I did, up to a point, but I don't think it shaped my type in any way.
    My type shaped my role in what was going on and how I reacted to it.
    My sisters were both extroverts and had different roles to play.

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram

There was some yelling and fighting at my house between my ISTJ dad and my ISFx mom (hard to tell her type). I think the worst it usually got was a lot of slamming doors, occasionally accompanied by throwing whatever said parent was working on across the room, and one parent would leave the house for several hours. I'm pretty sure it was worst for my youngest sister, a very strong INFP, as my other sister pretended not to care and I usually had my nose in another book or project. Oddly enough, my parents stopped fighting like that right after my brother was born...

My house was far from abusive and for me, it was much more of a safe haven than school was. It would be fair to say I suffered more at the hands of my schoolmates than I did around my immediate family. My grandmother on the other hand... well, suffice to say, I still dread seeing her during that mandatory Christmas visit. In fact, I am quite thankful I go to school far enough away from home so I don't have to go visit her on any holiday except for Christmas and during the summer. She has her favorites amongst us grandchildren and I'm definately her least favorite (my aforementioned INFP sister is a close second, except my sister actually enjoys shopping).

I know my sister and brother are extremely hypersensitive to emotions of other people and I seem to be slightly desensitized (at least outwardly).

I know when I get angry, I have the tendency towards violence. After seeing what that has done to people, I really don't want to subject others to that same suffering. :/
    "Science is the attempt to make the chaotic diversity of our sense-experience correspond to a logically uniform style of thought." -Einstein

"Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily weak people, in other words they stand no chance!" -Snape

Em. Female INTx and Proud of it. Left-handed Calligrapher. Writer. Scientist. Type Five Enneagram.

My house hold wasn't physically abusive. I have a great mom, so I probably have nothing to complain about compared to some. I've been told by the whole family that I should've stood it better, I just made it a big deal.. It's just his character.

My dad is temperamental and he's been that way for his whole life, alcohol never did ever help that any. Never anything physical, but the tension and rages that would start. A lot had to do with alcohol, which is why I don't like it.. I think I was twelve when I took it as my responsability to defend mom. And me and dad were at it for the next 8 years. The worst parts were really when we had a silent treatment going on, you'd never know when he'd explode. And it really wasn't all that silent. I did get insults, it's just that I wasn't allowed to answer back. It would've gotten so much worse. It was pretty rough at times, I did get my amount of verbal abuse, humiliation. I don't like having my plate put on the floor and told that's where I belong. So some times I didn't eat at home for a week or two. Once a war was on it lasted months at worst. Those weren't the worst for me though it, it was couple of separate incidents. It may have been okay had I not been an NF by temperament, I don't know..

It shaped some things about me, but I don't think my type was one of those.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes.
    There are two types of people in this world, sheep and sharks. Be a shark. Sharks are winners and they don't look back 'cause they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Headstrong: You're learning the ways of...me!
    INTP Friend: Yay!
    INTP Friend: Wait....NOOOOO

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
    -Plato

MBTI
    INFP

Manatees don't have necks either! Hee.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Manatees don't have necks either! Hee.
    But they do cuddle...and I don't do cuddling. Therefore, sharks FTW.
    There are two types of people in this world, sheep and sharks. Be a shark. Sharks are winners and they don't look back 'cause they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Headstrong: You're learning the ways of...me!
    INTP Friend: Yay!
    INTP Friend: Wait....NOOOOO

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
    -Plato

MBTI
    INFP

Headstrong! You certainly are. . . . . . .headstrong
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTJ

I'm an ENTJ but my experience with K'nex (anyone remember that) ended with my dad in sheer anger smashing my Hyperspace training tower and Ore refining crane--both of which were huge models that looked really damn cool.

I don't think I ever forgave him for that. Don't intend to, either.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

i notice most of the people who saw violence in their homes on this thread are introverts. I saw some degree of violence throughout my childhood, though I don't feel the need to elaborate, just witnessing that not many extraverts have posted here.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"