• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] I don't know why I'm feeling sad,

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
"I don't know why I'm feeling sad. But I am. Please don't ask me what is wrong, if I knew, I would fix it."

Anyone relate?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes. I don't feel that way today but I have before and likely will again.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Yes, very much so. I feel that way a lot of the time.

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
relatively common for me.
that sadness soon became my norm.

but how intense is it? i feel bit agitated, and bit depressed. But never at a point of wanting to hurt myself, etc. Depending on the severity and if it does have some major impact in your daily activities, you may want to check that out.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
But doesn't it seem paradoxical?

It makes complete sense.
Yet how is it ever fixed when one never learns the problem.

I guess what I am asking is, how do you guys deal with it, what eventually has helped you solve it, what has eventually helped you feel better?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If I have nothing concrete to anchor the mood to, then distraction is my weapon of choice most of the time. Just get out of the house and do something different, or something that has reliably changed my mood before. The few times I've found to have an unshakeable low mood or numbness that I couldn't be distracted from, I sought the assistance of a counselor which seemed to help, or maybe it just passed.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No, never happens. At worst, I'm bored.

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
This is a concept that my therapist fails to grasp, so she hasn't come up with any ways to deal with it yet (and if I knew, I wouldn't be there)

I hope you feel better :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Sometimes I feel a negative emotion which remains constant until I realize the cause, then it recedes.

sleeptowin

MBTI Type
INTJ
It happends.

When it happends I just try to take that feeling as it is and walk through it, if you know what I mean. In my case, I know that there usually is a reason for me feeling that way, when I'm feeling that way. I try to find out what might be troubling me, and if I find the reason, well, the bad feeling just kinda recedes and becomes manageable. If I for some reason can't find a reason, for instance, because I'm too troubled to think clearly, I just ride it through. I guess that, at that point, I tell my self that there is no point in bothering one self too much with things that doesn't make any sense.

I don't know if I made any sense right now, but, well, there you have it, my way of dealing with it.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
It happends.

When it happends I just try to take that feeling as it is and walk through it, if you know what I mean. In my case, I know that there usually is a reason for me feeling that way, when I'm feeling that way. I try to find out what might be troubling me, and if I find the reason, well, the bad feeling just kinda recedes and becomes manageable. If I for some reason can't find a reason, for instance, because I'm too troubled to think clearly, I just ride it through. I guess that, at that point, I tell my self that there is no point in bothering one self too much with things that doesn't make any sense.

I don't know if I made any sense right now, but, well, there you have it, my way of dealing with it.

No, it made complete sense to me.

I just don't want to go through this feeling because I just felt it two months ago.

And I also am having trouble rationalizing it without telling myself I'm over-reacting. But you can't tell yourself "You're over-reacting" when it's past a certain pain 'threshold' or pain 'level'. If that makes sense?

sleeptowin

MBTI Type
INTJ
No, it made complete sense to me.

I just don't want to go through this feeling because I just felt it two months ago.

And I also am having trouble rationalizing it without telling myself I'm over-reacting. But you can't tell yourself "You're over-reacting" when it's past a certain pain 'threshold' or pain 'level'. If that makes sense?

Yes, I think I know what you mean. When you're at that point, from my experience, the only thing you can really do is to ride it out, and try to avoid to think about it as much as you can.

But these are just words on the interwebs, in reality, it's not easy, it's not a problem that you can always fix, it's a/several pain(s) in the ass(es) emotion(s) that you run in to from time to time, and they're bound to return, from time to time, unfortunately.

Problems, in all of it's shapes, sometimes have that nasty character.

(My problem now is that I fear that I might have misunderstood what you wrote earlier :()

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Did you see, hear or "sensed" anything that made you remember something unpleasant.
Or maybe it's just one those very crappy days. How long did it last the previous time?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Yet how is it ever fixed when one never learns the problem.

You don't always need to know what causes an emotional problem in order to fix it, if that helps.

As blanclait mentions, it can become a habit, this pining thing. Suppose you could call it existential grief.

"It is the blight man was born for
It is (self) that you mourn for."

Gerard Manly Hopkins. "To Margaret, Spring and Fall."

I am susceptible to this and take some effort to avoid in engaging it for any length of time.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Did you see, hear or "sensed" anything that made you remember something unpleasant.
Or maybe it's just one those very crappy days. How long did it last the previous time?

Well this would depend on one's definition of 'sensed'.

'Sense' to me is basically like saying "I think something happened" IE, sense is a combination of all the senses including intuition.

So according to my definition of sense, I did sense something that happened which triggered past feelings on a similar matter. Which were in turn amplified due to... the... more, meaningful depth that I currently have on this present matter. IE the present matter means more to me than the past one did at it's time of occurrence.

This time I was able to rationalize it faster due to past experiences and good advice, also a lucky enlightening moment. Even though it was only about two days this time, the depth of pain was more intense than last time (due to it's more meaningful depth). Last time it was more drawn out over a week's time.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
It's possible to never know the cause but the symptoms can still be managed. Sounds like this is what you're doing.

Should it be persistent over time, it would be worth getting additional help from someone who could approach it from a clinical perspective.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I don't think you can escape it in this world. I'm learning more and more to not even bother asking why I'm feeling miserable, just get on with it, despite how you feel.