• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Neurosis and NTs

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know if this should go to personal threads or whatever.

Anyway, I was wondering if neurosis is more of an NT thing (or maybe N in general). Does any of you suffer symptoms or are even a diagnosed neurotic? How is it for you? Do you think is there any way to overcome it or at least to live with it?
If not, do you know any neurotic? What do you see in their behaviour?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know if this should go to personal threads or whatever.

Anyway, I was wondering if neurosis is more of an NT thing (or maybe N in general). Does any of you suffer symptoms or are even a diagnosed neurotic? How is it for you? Do you think is there any way to overcome it or at least to live with it?
If not, do you know any neurotic? What do you see in their behaviour?
Could you explain why you want to know?
Are you using the clinical definition of neurosis?

According to wiki, which I know is not an authoritative site:
"The term connotes an actual disorder or disease, but under its general definition, neurosis is a normal human experience, part of the human condition. Most people are affected by neurosis in some form."

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think N's are probably more likely to be neurotic in that they're less concrete in their thinking. Conceptual, abstract thinking can lead to troubling questions and then the mind starts chasing its own tail. I envy those who can slow down and just deal with the world as it is.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I think the opposite. It's my personal hypothesis that NTs are capable of understanding unusual tendencies in our minds, and are therefore defended against them more than others are.

An SJ with some form of neurosis isn't a pretty sight. They have no idea what to think or do about it.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
They may be able to cope better with neurosis, but I still think they may be more neurotic in general. You know?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
They may be able to cope better with neurosis, but I still think they may be more neurotic in general. You know?
I know what you mean, and you could be right, but I haven't observed that trend. Which could naturally be because NTs can own neuroses, as opposed to being owned by them. They can be invisible.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I know what you mean, and you could be right, but I haven't observed that trend. Which could naturally be because NTs can own neuroses, as opposed to being owned by them. They can be invisible.

While I like the spirit of this concept, is it possible that you're generalizing a sense of psychological "empowerment" to NTs that might better align on an individual level, as opposed to within an MBTI classification range?

I'm not necessarily poo-pooing your idea.

As most know, neurotic behavior is often a coping mechanism, intimately designed to deflect anxiety. Most feel some sense of anxiety at the uncontrollable things in their lives - often without clinical neurosis attached to their coping behavior.

Are NTs that different?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
While I like the spirit of this concept, is it possible that you're generalizing a sense of psychological "empowerment" to NTs that might better align on an individual level, as opposed to within an MBTI classification range?
I agree in that the individual is more important in this regard. The topic of discussion though, is NTs in general, and I would say there is a greater tendency in NTs than others to have control over mind. For a few reasons, even including that by being NT in the modern world, we are not only built to seek out and understand knowledge, but it is readily available to us. So,

The average adult NT has reasonable knowledge and understanding about the function of the brain, and can consider it a quite non-mystical system which they own. If a problem arises to which there is no easy solution, the NT can say (I simplify) "Well, that's too bad. Perhaps we'd better work around this problem and get on with existence."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As most know, neurotic behavior is often a coping mechanism, intimately designed to deflect anxiety. Most feel some sense of anxiety at the uncontrollable things in their lives - often without clinical neurosis attached to their coping behavior. Are NTs that different?

Yes, I think certain types might more easily be susceptible to particular neuroses, but no type is "more neurotic" ... especially if we realize that some aggressive behavior is just neurotic behavior driven against others rather than the self.

I've seen neurosis defined both as maladjusted coping mechanisms as well as the avoidance of legitimate suffering. (Both definitions have value, I think.)

I agree in that the individual is more important in this regard. The topic of discussion though, is NTs in general, and I would say there is a greater tendency in NTs than others to have control over mind. For a few reasons, even including that by being NT in the modern world, we are not only built to seek out and understand knowledge, but it is readily available to us.

Really, that should then suit us better to NOT be neurotic -- if we are more easily able to abstractly assess things. There's a lot of S neurosis that occurs because of a lack of N, and they can more easily dissociate and/or repress things they don't want to deal with... or miss the insight that might come more naturally to an N.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I agree in that the individual is more important in this regard. The topic of discussion though, is NTs in general, and I would say there is a greater tendency in NTs than others to have control over mind. For a few reasons, even including that by being NT in the modern world, we are not only built to seek out and understand knowledge, but it is readily available to us. So,

The average adult NT has reasonable knowledge and understanding about the function of the brain, and can consider it a quite non-mystical system which they own. If a problem arises to which there is no easy solution, the NT can say (I simplify) "Well, that's too bad. Perhaps we'd better work around this problem and get on with existence."

Interesting.

How might the strategies of an NT differ from those of, say, an NF?

As the governing function seems to be a complex system of emotion designed to reduce anxiety/relieve tension, is it possible that the NF would, by virtue of their inherent disposition towards understanding complex emotion, be better situated to understand their personal neurosis than would an NT?

I've seen neurosis defined both as maladjusted coping mechanisms as well as the avoidance of legitimate suffering. (Both definitions have value, I think.)

In both scenarios, it seems that the individual has an innate desire to rid themselves (alogically, if you like) of the negative stimulus.

Is this an NT-centric or NF-centric design trait?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Allow me to stereotype horrendously to get my point across. Please dilute to taste.

NF: Suicide
SP: Alcohol
SJ: Insanity

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Regarding NFs in slightly better detail: Their conclusions tend to be more general, and are by nature tied to emotion. The lack of detachment is a problem when dealing with neuroses.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Regarding NFs in slightly better detail: Their conclusions tend to be more general, and are by nature tied to emotion. The lack of detachment is a problem when dealing with neuroses.

Nicely said, Jack.

If I appropriately understand you, detachment is central to progression beyond the neurosis, as it allows the individual to analyze their infirmity, free from extraneous internal variables?

If neurosis then begins - and ends - within the individual, is it ever truly vacated? Does awareness of the neurotic tendency forever chain it to one's psychological identity?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Neurosis" is too broad a brush to paint a type or collection of types.

People don't develop neurosis because of their type, but because of environmental influences. Type has a bearing on how a neurosis may manifest itself e.g. moving toward/moving against/moving away from people. A drive for self-sufficiency common to NTs is likely to lead to the latter, but the more extrovert types might employ the middle strategy.

Karen Horney has some interesting things to say about this stuff.

Usehername

On a mission
NT: Suppression / avoidance ?

This might be generally true, but perhaps it's magnified in males and not as manifest in females. I'm prone to these things in day-to-day existence, but when the opportunity comes to sit down and have a private, uninterrupted 3 hour conversation with a trustworthy friend (usually my eNFJ) I embrace it and generally pour out my troubled heart and soul.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
"Neurosis" is too broad a brush to paint a type or collection of types.

People don't develop neurosis because of their type, but because of environmental influences. Type has a bearing on how a neurosis may manifest itself e.g. moving toward/moving against/moving away from people. A drive for self-sufficiency common to NTs is likely to lead to the latter, but the more extrovert types might employ the middle strategy.

Karen Horney has some interesting things to say about this stuff.

I think you and I fundamentally agree on the opacity of anchoring/immunity from neurosis to specific type classification.

Does anyone believe that self-awareness ever truly creates progression beyond the neurotic behavior?