User Tag List

First 891011 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    I don't know if this should go to personal threads or whatever.

Anyway, I was wondering if neurosis is more of an NT thing (or maybe N in general). Does any of you suffer symptoms or are even a diagnosed neurotic? How is it for you? Do you think is there any way to overcome it or at least to live with it?
    If not, do you know any neurotic? What do you see in their behaviour?
    N's tend, in my experience, to consciously act neurotic to deal with the weird and fuzzy intuitive mind - to have some kind of 'handle' on things.
    I'm pretty compulsive/obsessive.Repetitive action to prevent the scary thoughts.
    bruised and battered ENTJ sx/sp/so 8w9
    Tri-fix: 8w9 sx/sp - 3w4 sp/sx - 5w6 soc/sx
    http://leonardolestat.mypersonality.info

(I'm secretly ENxP, but don't tell anyone)

"Mother, I love you, I never meant to hit you over the head with that shovel."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Addendum/clarification to my NF neurosis statments:

NFs can't detach from harmful emotional states because they trust feeling to make decisions, not thinking. When confronted with neurosis, the dominant arbitrary mechanism within their psyches tells them they should feel bad, simply because they do feel bad. It's quite an obstacle, and I have little advice on the matter.
    I disagree. The longer an NF lives with a condition, whether neuroticism or mental illness, the more coping skills they *can* learn, just out of a sense of self-preservation. It's possible, for example, to recognize, say, paranoia as a feeling that should *not* be acted upon. The more an NF reinforces this with experience, the easier it gets, IMO. If you just live long enough...
    It's a blessing...and a curse.

Originally Posted by Anja
    I don't have room for shame in my life.

INFJ, 4w5 sx

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by cherchair View Post
    I disagree. The longer an NF lives with a condition, whether neuroticism or mental illness, the more coping skills they *can* learn, just out of a sense of self-preservation. It's possible, for example, to recognize, say, paranoia as a feeling that should *not* be acted upon. The more an NF reinforces this with experience, the easier it gets, IMO. If you just live long enough...
    I guess my point here is that NFs, like other types, can learn from experience. If they do enough enough self-destructive shit or destroy relationships they value because of harmful emotional states, it's possible for them to start connecting the dots and learn to take a different approach, though I admit this can take a looong time.
    It's a blessing...and a curse.

Originally Posted by Anja
    I don't have room for shame in my life.

INFJ, 4w5 sx

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    To me, neurotic NT's are like a robot that keeps going through the same loop and logging an error, over and over again [...] but they blindly lunge forward anyway, because their logic is completely lying to them. But according to them, they can't be wrong, because logic always saves the day, even though it clearly isn't.
    Bulls eye.

Anyway, in my opinion, NT's are not more suspectible to neurosis, or more likely to fix their neurosis than any other type, in these matters, all types (or non-types) are equal. Atleast in my opinion.

Though they are very likely to deal with it in a very NT way (NT's dealing with things in a NT way? How peculiar!). They might accept this neurosis as some sort of universal truth, and go like:
    Hey, I don't have a problem! It's the world around ME that has a problem with ME!

Or something like:
    I don't feel like shit because I'm depressed over something, I feel like shit because life is shit! It's the truth!

Neurotic NT's sometimes really are like sci-fi robots with a messed up logic-circuit. Or like Vulcans, from bizzaro-vulcan, with bizzaro-logic, or something like that.
    I take no responsibility for my awful english.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptowin View Post
    Or something like:
    I don't feel like shit because I'm depressed over something, I feel like shit because life is shit! It's the truth!
    I think I've said that very thing. Remarkable.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Banned
    MBTI
    type

The implication being that life isn't shit, and I, for one, must disagree.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Then, when the outside help turns out to be completely ineffective, the NT returns to self-repair and eventually solves the problem.
    I agree that it is better for you as an individual to not ask for help - because while ever you believe that no one can really help you, you are just going to drive other people insane and they will irritate the heck out of you!

While I am a great believer in self-repair, I like to keep in mind that when it comes to solutions:

me:not me ratio is 1:6.73 billion

The odds are that there can be useful and effective help out there...when you go looking for it rather than when it is imposed on you.

You also sound like you need a hug to me.
    Sunshine8

'A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip.'
    - Caskie Stinnett

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine8 View Post
    I agree that it is better for you as an individual to not ask for help - because while ever you believe that no one can really help you, you are just going to drive other people insane and they will irritate the heck out of you!

While I am a great believer in self-repair, I like to keep in mind that when it comes to solutions:

me:not me ratio is 1:6.73 billion

The odds are that there can be useful and effective help out there...when you go looking for it rather than when it is imposed on you.

You also sound like you need a hug to me.
    Now you're just asking for it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think that with a neurotic NT, their less-developed S side leads them to become over-realistic about everything to the point of inaction -- making simple tasks more of a chore than they actually are, because they obsess over the unpleasant details that hinder their goals.

I think that this hyperrealism is more common in the xNTP, while the xNTJ will more likely become more impulsive. A difference between tertiary/inferior Si and tertiary/inferior Se.

MBTI
    INTJ

The implication being that life isn't shit, and I, for one, must disagree.
    Well, I'm not going to disagree with you fully, but I won't agree with you fully either. Life is shit, yes, this is to some extent true, but this is not always true.

the proportions are, EHRM, just a BIT off.
    I take no responsibility for my awful english.