• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and Sleep Patterns

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Hey just wanted to ask you NTs about your "sleep patterns" if thats what you want to call them. Basically, about what time (average) do you go to bed and about what time (average) do you wake up? I'm specifically interested in XNTPs but XNTJs are equally welcome.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I wouldn't say I have much of an average right now, but to pick a bedtime I'll say 1AM. These days I tend to get about 6.5 hours sleep.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I normally go to sleep at around 3am. When I don't have to do anything until 2, I wake up around 12. Some days I have class at 9:30 so I wake up earlier, and then sleep for a couple of hours later in the day.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
srsly tho...

most nights I go to sleep sometime between 2 and 3am, and unless I have some reason to be up, I just sleep in until I wake naturally or get woken by something (a kid jumping on me, a noisy lawnmower beneath my window, the telephone, etc), which is usually around 10 or 11am. The main snag with this being that I usually do have a reason to be up, so I average around 5 or 6 hours' sleep most nights.

Not having the opportunity to nap in the daytime (and not being able to really anyway), I just soldier through and don't really notice how tired I am until things quieten down at about 7pm. But then, I feel like I need to have an evening, y'know, some time to myself? Or someone will call round (happens a lot), and by the time 11pm comes round I'm bright eyed and bushy-tailed, no matter how exhausted I felt before.

I have tried many times to get my body clock round to more sociable hours, but it can only work for as long as something's forcing me - literally, like a monastery timetable, curfew and bell for example - and even then, the longer it goes on, the more I start sitting up and reading in bed 'til 2am, even though I'm up at 6.

I remember seeing this show on TV where they documented the development of a bunch of kids all born on the same day. It showed how the 'owl' and 'lark' sleeping patterns were biologically programmed into these babies, how they each had widely varying preferred sleep patterns totally naturally, and explained it by saying how, in primitive conditions, y'know, it's logical that some people are meant to stay awake through the night to keep watch and other stuff. Really interesting.

My mom corroborates that I've always been a hardcore night owl since my infancy.

edit - HOWEVER it's only because I force myself to get to bed that I go as early as I do, cos I know I've got to be up the next morning and stuff and I don't want to fall too far behind on my sleep cos I know I never get the opportunity to catch up. On weeks when the kids have been at grandma's and stuff like that, I've happily pushed bedtime back to 5am and later and gone completely nocturnal, waking up in the early afternoon, mooching around until early evening, then coming to life around 7pm, to burn brighter and faster the later it gets. It's always hard to adjust back to the early pre-3am bedtimes...

Sinister Scribe

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
I'm an INTJ and I usually go to bed around 1AM and fall asleep around an hour later. I tend to wake up a little before 6AM, so usually about 4-5 hours of sleep a night during the week. Sometimes during the weekned I get a couple more hours, but it's pretty rare.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Uh... pattern? :blink:
That's like a routine, right? :unsure:

ya sure

the reason im asking is because a good majority of my NT friends have the worst sleep schedules of any other friends (type wise). this is of course a generalization but i find it very interesting. the best, from what ive seen, are SJs as far as sleep schedules

Sinister Scribe

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
SJs also rely on routine in other areas of their lives. Some need this routine to function (both of my parents are SJs - ISTJ and ISFJ).

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't have a schedule. I like staying up late and getting up even later... during holidays I go to sleep at about 4 AM, but I also can stay until 7 AM, and waking up at 1 or 2 PM.
During school I go to sleep at about 12 or 1 AM and get up at 7:30 AM.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
During school, I usually go to bed around 1:00-1:30am. Depending on the day, I wake up between 6:30-8:45am. I like to have 6 to 7 hours of sleep if possible, though if I don't get that much, I'm usually able to keep myself perked up throughout the day as long as I don't have a boring class to sit through. During non-school times of the year I go to bed around 3am and wake up between 9 and 12.

Definitely no solid schedule, just tendencies. And I've always been a night owl.

(I know some SJ's with some horrible sleep schedules, but I wonder if they won't reform themselves a bit after college.)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My step dad, when I was a teenager, used to come into my room and force me out of bed, declaring me to be a lazy ne'er do well, on account of it being 11am and I was still asleep. I thought this grossly unfair, especially considering that I worked a graveyard shift at a gas station and often wasn't even in until 7am. But even when I wasn't working late, I rarely went to bed before 5am. He'd just declare all the stuff he'd done whilst I was sleeping and tell me what a crime it was to waste so much of the day 'lazing'.

I got so annoyed about it that one day, at about 3am, I went into HIS room, crashed in, switched on the lights, banged a pot next to his head (as he did to me) and told him to get the fuck up, the lazy bastard. He'd protest angrily that it was 3am just as I protested, but I was unsympathetic and said "So? I've just cooked my dinner, ironed my shirts for the week and cleaned the whole kitchen. I've got a shift at the gas station to work yet!"

I had to run to avoid the violence... haha... but I think I made my point. He still grouched occasionally about me being 'lazy', but he never woke me up again.

Didums

School days (monday-friday) = 1am to 6:30am. When I get home from school I take naps occasionally.
Weekends = 12 hours (or more) of sleep nomatter when I fall asleep.

Eryndil

MBTI Type
INTx
Given the choice, I'm entirely nocturnal and sleep for a long time. Last night (this morning) it was some time after 2am when I got to bed (probably a lot after 2am!) and I woke up shortly after midday. On work days, I have about 6 hours sleep and I make up for it on other days. Sometimes, it's more like 5am when I get to sleep.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I have an erratic sleep pattern. I exercise and try to remember to eat regularly and that helps a bit. Though, I still suffer bouts of insomnia from time to time.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think I will always be an Insomniac. I think my brain is ultra alert as the night is winding down, part of that has to do with the quiet at night. I just feel like I can be extremely hyper focused and relaxed past midnight and extremely lethargic in the morning so I never look forward to going to bed early.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I think some of this depends on your age, too. I find that as I've gotten older, I just plain *can't* sleep in like I used to, even on weekends. So I've pretty much forced myself to try to get to bed by 11 every night so that I don't miss any more sleep than I have to. I sleep pretty poorly anyway (fall asleep easily but it's not unusual for me to wake up 10-15 times a night), and I have to get up at around 6:30 for work, so staying up late's something I only do on special occasions.

All in all, I sleep (using the term loosely - I'm awake probably 20% of this time anyway) from 11pm to around 6-6:30am during the week, and from 11 until 8ish on weekends. Having said that, I'm most definitely a night person, and not a morning person by nature.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
These days it's rare for me to go to bed before 2 AM, sometimes it's 2, sometime it's 5, it depends. I generally get up somewhere around noon, then merge breakfast and lunch etc. I'm a difficult sleeper, even as a child I would often wake my parents saying I couldn't sleep. My INTJ father would tell me I resisted sleep. He is a morning person (but for the same reason I like nighttime it seems - quiet etc.), but also a very bad (and light) sleeper.

I've always been a night owl, now it's the computer, back in the day it was books.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I have a very regular sleep pattern, because if I sleep well my day is 123423423 times better and I can do more things (i can work more quickly and thus have more free time, for example). So I usually go around 11:00-11:30 and wake up around 7:30. Often I train (cycling) during the day, so I have no problem falling asleep at all, in fact past 10:30 I start to get quite tired...

Even as a kid, I could never sleep past 9. I'm an early riser by nature.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Why does it seem that there are more late risers than early risers? >_>

P.S. I don't have a schedule at the moment.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Lately, I've been going to bed at 6am, but that is excessive even for me, and I really need to train myself out of that pattern. I'm a night owl for sure, and I stay up until at least 3 or 4am. I have to have 8 hours of sleep, regardless.