User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: how generous are you with your knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    How likley are you to sit down and explain or teach?

Are there certain parts of your knowledge that you gaurd from others?
    I am rather likely to explain or teach. I want to be a science teacher as a second career once I retire as an engineer.

In high-school and college, I vastly preferred explaining homework solutions to other people than doing my own homework.

The knowledge I guard from others is the knowledge I am (or will be) obligated to protect by contract.

Who does knowledge belong to that we should decide who gets it and who doesn't?

Is knowledge personal?

If you express your knowledge have you somehow shown someone your soul? Like a tracking device of where you have been or where you are going?

Why hide knowledge?

How did you gain yours?
    There is a concept of Intellectual Property rights. Legally IP belongs to who ever owns the rights on it.

Knowledge belongs to the person who knows. This is simply tautology.

I don't know if sharing knowledge is showing someone my soul. But perhaps the enthusiasm with some knowledge is shared is.

I would hide knowledge if I were required to by IP laws.

I gained knowledge in various ways, including: experience, thought, guided experiment, practice, insight, reading, observing, clarifying, and yes by teaching also.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOp View Post
    Man, not one thing in that entire post made sense to me. Can I find "the glory of god" in newborn twins conjoined at the skull? it the gleam in their eyes? Ignorant people are dangerous...and I'm not obligated spirtually to supply matches. If God wanted them to be intelligent...should have given them smarter parents. Doesnt "he" control the hard can it be?
    The glory of God's mercy is revealed in natural evil as a call back that restrains and removes moral evil from the hearts of men.

Ignorant people are dangerous, but you disarm them by winning them over to your side through education.

Why do you think God wants everyone to be intelligent?

I'm very generous. I love to share ideas and inform people of any and all fascinating concepts. I am considering teaching Medical Biology at the graduate level when I'm finished with school, etc.
    The enemy's gate is down.

How likley are you to sit down and explain or teach?

Are there certain parts of your knowledge that you gaurd from others?
    I usually focus on trying to get to know a person first, and if they ask my opinion on something then I usually explain my thought process. After a while people who like that sort of thing realize I am knowledgable about a lot of things and start asking my opinion about more things. Basically I try to start off slow and let the process snowball.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

Doesn't Read Your Posts Array Haight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    If someone asks for my help in explaining something, I'll very much oblige in most cases--because if you can teach it, you also better understand it yourself.
    Word to your mother.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."

Philosophically, I am very much in favor of the idea of sharing knowledge. In practice though I am not so good at getting my thoughts accross to other people. I have been working on the and I think I am getting better at it, but it still takes quite a bit of effort.

I would not deliberately withhold knowledge from someone unless they were particularly nasty to me. However, since it does take time and effort for me to give an explaination I would like to know that it would at least be something the person is interested in knowing. Most people aren't interested in knowing the process of how I made something. Most people are not interested in the types of books I read. If I start to share this information in the course of normal conversation people often look a little board.

I also identify with the problem of being accused of arogant for sharing information. Also it can be concidered rude to correct someone, especially if it is some stranger we overhear giving wrong information.

I also have some problems with the knowledge v. sympathy thing. I had an experience from a co-worker who was always coming to me telling about how stressed she was. I shared my knowledge with her of different relaxation techniques, but she always left seeming annoyed. I was very puzzled until someone explained that she didn't want advice, she wanted sympathy. Not only was my advice unwanted, I am looked down on for giving advice instead of sympathy.

So I am a little cautious sometimes in giving out information, unless it is wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I think ThatGirl has something to prove, to whom I have no idea.
    I was thinking about the phrase The Persuit of Knowledge and it got me to thinking.

Why is knowledge a persuit? I personally don't like to share my knowledge for the fact that I believe I may somehow create a bias in someones interpretation. I like to observe how people interperate because it shows me the depths of who they are. Likewise I think that people knowing how I think can lead to misinterpretations as to who I am so I keep my knowledge on lock down to avoid sharing too much about my real views.

Then I got to thinking about how knowledge is earned not just given. To expand my own I really have to pry sometimes. Knowledge is not easilly attainable. Look at colleges and how much they charge for education. Even on the forum here it seems that you only get imput if someone is trying to help or sway you, but little knowledge is given for the sake of being given.

Why is knowledge that so many people posess a comodity. Would not the world do betting in having all resouces given.

It truely is a persuit that many have to work hard to attain. That really hinders what we are capable of.

But then I wonder if ignorance is bliss and how people who are not spiritual alter their actions for the sake of knowledge as much as people alter their actions for the sake of god, giving knowledge the same sacred respect that people give to spiritual icons. I wonder the value of the two.

Just thinking

I find it interesting that most of the responses classified the sharing of knowledge as "helping" someone.
    So. Would you say something more about this?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    The glory of God's mercy is revealed in natural evil as a call back that restrains and removes moral evil from the hearts of men.

Ignorant people are dangerous, but you disarm them by winning them over to your side through education.

Why do you think God wants everyone to be intelligent?
    There is NO evil in nature. We just project our moral fantasies on it.

Winning someone over is a form of manipulation. I'm not so sure my "truth" is the truth...I possibly could be instilling a more complex set of lies. Ignorant people tend to be the happiest. Lighting things on fire/smashing things to bits can be quite cathartic. Why would I want them to be more miserable? Half the people in this country are on meds to make them "stupider" selfishness is saving the others money. This is my inadvertent contribution to our species.

I was joking about "god" wanting anything.......people want things. If God exists, it already has everything.
    "A species of perfection and fantasy"......

I think the bias aspect is what Jack Flak was hinting at and I understand that aspect fully. I think though that there needs to be sort of a mutual understanding that there is equal footing so to speak(no dismisal based purely on jealousy or perceived stupidity), that is easier said than done and it is hard to find people like that.

I think though when you are in a situation such as this, the willingness to share some of what you think may be "biased" knowledge is much greater because you value and don't necessarily forcefully try and change someones interpretation. You also trust that there will be more a mutual exchange of knowledge and insight and have a sense of striving towards something higher like actually "understanding" something instead of making arbitrary judgments/conclusions.

In terms of why it seems that a lot of this knowledge is guarded I would have to say that is more a case of an "open mindedness" barrier. I maybe should have sort of prefaced this by saying I am talking more on a 1 v 1 basis rather than a more collective or group/community oriented way. I think generally though I sort of understand where you are coming from, I think just observing and seeing someones thought processes for what it is and benefiting from that without having an intention of altering it is a pleasure we should all have the opportunity to have. Many of us however have seen how many barriers there are IRL that sort of deter us from being as open.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.