User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Most INTPs, I believe, want the knowledge in the minds of those they're in contact with to be sound.
    Exactly. I feel it's almost a duty. I don't want the people I know to walk around with incorrect information or understanding, if I have the answers.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Exactly. I feel it's almost a duty. I don't want the people I know to walk around with incorrect information or understanding, if I have the answers.
    Unless the person is representing me is some way, shape, or form . . . I can't relate to that at all.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Most INTPs, I believe, want the knowledge in the minds of those they're in contact with to be sound. Immature INTPs, like myself as a kid/teenager, aren't subtle about it and excel at irritating others. These days I try to make knowledge inviting, like cake, and you can take a bite if you like.
    I used to drop it like a bomb and only utilize it as an escape route, especially If one of my values had been trodden on or if someone challenged me for acting or doing something "bad or wrong".

Presenting it an inviting way is a challenge I'm still in the process of developing. I think there is a good corollary between how inviting it is presented and verbal skill.

Subtlety is a very hard skill to hone IMO and one that is key in presenting knowledge fluently and desirably.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Unless the person is representing me is some way, shape, or form . . . I can't relate to that at all.
    I understand where your coming from.

Yet, I prefer people I'm acquainted with to know empirically proven facts exactly as they are.

MBTI
    INTj

Yet, I prefer people I'm acquainted with to know empirically proven facts exactly as they are.
    How often do you correct your friends? And what are "proven facts"? Are we talking about red is red and green is green?
    Haight

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    How often do you correct your friends? And what are "proven facts"? Are we talking about red is red and green is green?
    When they ask me, or if they are way off base. Anything subjective doesn't count.

MBTI
    INTj

When they ask me, or if they are way off base. Anything subjective doesn't count.
    Eh, you changed your position.

However, now I can agree with you, reluctantly.
    Haight

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

In theory, I don't have problems explaining things to others, but I refuse to slow down. If someone is a n00b, they shouldn't come to me.

MBTI
    INTP

I think that could just be a factor of excitement. I know when I'm personally first learning something I'm intensely focused and curious so I forget and am not aware of how plodding the process is. That oversight is probably the main factor in my impatience in explaining something to a n00b.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENTP

I love to share and teach, but bitter experience has taught me that simply doing this often results in certain people (is it bitterness? jealousy? who can say?) throwing into my face that I'm arrogant, know-it-all, showing off, bragging about how clever I am, etc etc.

So... unless someone asks me a direct question, I tend not really, in RL, to share that much. I think I took to heart something somebody said to me when I complained of this years ago: "the way to tell the difference between helping and interfearing is to ask whether the help is solicited; likewise, the way to tell whether it's sharing knowledge or boasting know-it-all-ness, is whether your knowledge has been solicited". So, like I say... unless people ask me, I don't tell. But even if they ask me, I try to make it look as much as possible like they actually said most of the clever stuff. And I pretend to not know stuff as well as I do. Like I'll be sorta "Oh, you know, what's the word? I read about it once or someone said something... uh... what was it now? Begins with a G I think... " and fumble around the syllables until the other person guesses the word and I'll be like "Ah that's it! Glad one of us has a memory!" when in fact I knew the damn word all along.

Also, a lot of knowledge I have is, itself, very controversial - the means whereby I gained it even more so. So sharing it can result in ostracization.

But I do play down my knowledge a lot in RL, or else find more sorta 'everyman' ways to present it so it doesn't look like 'cleverness' but just 'common sense'. Reactions to this are far more positive, in general.

Maybe it's bad that I do this and maybe I should say 'fuck them' more often. But really, I just had an absolute fucking bellyfull of having the "arrogant show-off" thing thrown in my face all the damn time when all I was doing was trying to help someone. I spend so much of my time meditating and thinking hard and praying and stuff to purge those particular traits and I question myself and doubt myself so much... it fucking hurts to have someone not notice all of that and be happy to call me something so damned untrue just because I happened to accidentally make them feel stupid by saying something they thought they ought to have known.

Occasionally there are people who take me for who I am; maybe they're more educated than I am and so they know I can't be trying to impress them or show off or anything, cos they know I know they can out-do me. Or maybe we're just equals. But whatever - they just accept that I'm not like that. So with these people I take great pleasure in sharing ideas and knowledge freely and openly.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen