• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do you answer your phone?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My parents bought my cell phone since I refused to buy one and they were convinced that I'd get stranded somewhere without it. I always have my ringer turned off- my phone is mostly for text messaging purposes and talking once a week to my best friend who lives a good ways away. I hate calling people, so she calls me.

Though I think that there might be a bias on an online forum as to answering the telephone since this IS a group who appears to prefer an online form of communication! :laugh:

lane777

nevermore
Do you answer your phone?

NEVER the landline. Cursed thing never stops ringing and it's never for me. I'll answer my cellphone if I'm in the mood to socialize, so I guess 85% of the time. Thankfully my pals realize I'm not big on phone chat so they leave it till when we hang.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Do you answer your phone?

NEVER the landline. Cursed thing never stops ringing and it's never for me. I'll answer my cellphone if I'm in the mood to socialize, so I guess 85% of the time. Thankfully my pals realize I'm not big on phone chat so they leave it till when we hang.

Lol I never answer the phone. I'm pretty much known by all my friends that they will never get ahold of me via cell phone, or home phone. I'll reply to texts sometimes...

Wasn't there a thread about INFJs not liking to use cell phones? It was either here or the INFJ tribe threads... haha I remember a bunch of INFJs all saying they strongly dislike the use of phones for communication.

Preferred method: In person or writing[emails text etc]

dyspraxion

MBTI Type
INtP
Enneagram
4w5
I prefer to keep my cell turned off at all times. Which has led to certain friends telling me I am remarkably difficult to get a hold of.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I leave my phone in my bag, which is often not with me (because I'm often in the lab, not in the office). So it goes to voicemail, and if it's someone whom I know I listen and respond. If it's not, I ignore and delete it.

I only answer my cellphone when it vibrates (I can't stand ringing, it's annoying and loud and invasive) if:
1) It's family
2) It's a close friend whom I can bear regardless of timing
3) It's someone who would normally never call me because he/she respects my privacy, so it must be something urgent.
4) I'm expecting a call
5) I'm bored and think it would be entertaining telling off the telemarketer
6) I'm annoyed by the vibrating and beeping (sometimes I just switch it to silent mode)

I like people who arrange for meetings via text instead. It means that you can respond on your own schedule, not according to the other person's. And you can arrange to call only when it's the actual meeting time and the other person is late.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I think this thread needs a third question:

If not . . . why not?

I'm usually doing something and I hate being disturbed.

If I'm not doing something I might find more interesting, I'm too busy relaxing or sleeping.

I also hate not having control of the situation, if I have a wish to contact someone, I am the person who will choose both the means and the time of the contact.

kaboom

MBTI Type
INTP
My eldest daughter, the ENFJ, however, is like a meerkat. Every time a pin drops in the other hemisphere, she's popping her head up and looking out of the window to see if it's someone for her. It's kinda like having my own butler - I never have to get up to answer the door when she's around. She's there before the bell's even finished ringing. But even with the doorbell, I always check through the spyhole if it's someone I want to see, before opening up.

My oldest daughter is also an ENFJ...and is very similar.

No...I don't answer my phone as a rule.

I will say this completely freaks out my oldest daughter and my ESFJ Mom who is now my third child. They ask frantically "Aren't you going to answer that?!"

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
It depends. I generally check the number, unless I'm in a conversation with someone. If it's someone who wouldn't ordinarily call unless it was important, I answer. Otherwise it goes to voice mail.

I worked with a PAC campaign manager over the summer who would call three or four times a day with mind-numbingly banal questions. After a while I started to twitch whenever I heard the ring tone.

Since then I've gotten a new phone and new tone and I believe I've recovered. FWIW, I don't get that many calls anyway. Most of my friends know it's better to send an email.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I always answer it when I hear it; I don't always hear it, though (cell phone). Even when it's somebody I don't like, there's a strange force that impels me to pick up the call automatically.

However, I don't like talking over the phone. I generally limit myself to saying "yes" "no" and communicating very essential information, because talking over the phone gives me anxiety (I'm serious) - i think due to the fact that I suck at interpreting emotional clues from the voice (ex. if I talk over the phone with my girlfriend, I always feel like she's pissed at me)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always answer it when I hear it; I don't always hear it, though (cell phone). Even when it's somebody I don't like, there's a strange force that impels me to pick up the call automatically.

However, I don't like talking over the phone. I generally limit myself to saying "yes" "no" and communicating very essential information, because talking over the phone gives me anxiety (I'm serious) - i think due to the fact that I suck at interpreting emotional clues from the voice (ex. if I talk over the phone with my girlfriend, I always feel like she's pissed at me)

It's the same for me... Absolutely hate talking on the phone, but I never avoid picking up in the first place -_-

sade

I don't always answer, that's usually because I don't want to socialize at the moment or don't want to talk to you. But the most complains I get from forgetting the phone at home or shutting it off. I much prefer text messages over phone calls. I hate calling places, it's not as bad if someone calls me, but I still don't like using the phone.

Twixt

MBTI Type
ISTP
I am rather surprised. Stunned even. Didn't know so many people don't answer their phone :O My dad's an INT (INTJ if im not wrong) and he doesn't usually answer the house phone - i always found that reaally queer. Good thing this thread has shed some light on that.

My type: ENFP

I almost always answer the phone. Unless
- i don't notice it vibrating (i have it on vibrate mode, don't like ring tones)
- i don't want to talk to the person on the other end (at that point in time)

That said, i answer my phone approx. 70-75% of the time. If i'm busy I pick up and tell the person I'll call them back later because I'm busy now. I think that's basic courtesy, and also, i can't stand it continuing to vibrate. RIdiculous annoyance. And I don't particularly like keeping people waiting if I know they have something semi-important to say.

My best friend is an ESFJ and makes social calls about once a week, and sometimes i get totally sickk of it. She calls and I'm curt with her but she usually steamrollers on, lol. However I can't really get myself to say I want to go unless I feel like i've talked to her sufficiently long enough to satiate her. I do this only because I really value this relationship. However obviously when I really can't talk, eg. i'm at function or am rushing some piece of work, I tell her. I think that's just reasonable. I probably should work on telling her i'm not really up to a social call now because im happy reading/thinking/listening to music/doing whatever i was doing before she called.. but i think there should be balance and compromise in relationships as well. I try to accomodate her; that's how relationshps work after all.

For people i don't really know or don't care to know better, I tell them flat out that I've got to go, bye.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Prefer text messages, unless I am in love with you. I will answer the phone most of the time. Hate long-winded voicemails. Recommend PhoneTag.com transcription service instead of checking voicemail.

Harlow_Jem

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This question cracks me up. Of course I answer my phone unless it's someone I don't want to speak to but I always check the caller ID to see who's calling.

People who leave me voicemail though deserve a beating.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I'll answer the phone, but not when I'm nappin'.

I hate it when that happens.

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
I don't always answer, that's usually because I don't want to socialize at the moment or don't want to talk to you. But the most complains I get from forgetting the phone at home or shutting it off. I much prefer text messages over phone calls. I hate calling places, it's not as bad if someone calls me, but I still don't like using the phone.

+1
and people get bizarrely mad at me for this. It seems counter-intuitive to get mad at someone for not answering your call, especially if you call when you know they're sleeping, but whatever...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always answer the phone, if I don't feel like talking I keep it short. I don't resort to text messages because that takes up more time. :)

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
They do take more time, but people are much more understanding if you can't answer right away. The pace can be slower, but most people won't be offended. I like a slower pace. Also, way too many people don't listen when you say, "I have to go". I don't have the heart to hang up on family.