• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do you answer your phone?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I only have a cell phone now and am pretty picky about who has my number. If I feel like talking to the person, I'll answer. Since I am an extravert - that is most of the time. My biggest dilemma is when I am already on the phone with someone and someone else I like better is calling, or someone I've been waiting on a call from. Usually I will excuse myself and switch over, but cell phones are not as good with giving you time to do so.

I don't answer my home phone, but I usually answer my cell phone. Only people I care about have that number. If someone I'd rather be talking to calls I'll get off the phone with the person I'm talking to. I just say it's my mother.

DO NOT CALL

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I used to pick up every call however now I figure if they really want me they'll call back or leave a message. That doesn't always work tho...Once I had 48 messages dating back about a month. :(
I lost my cell phone for three months and did NOTHING about replacing it. I hate talking on the phone. If it's someone far away or someone I haven't spoken to in a long while I'll talk...but just talking for the sake of talking. Nope. If I have something important to relate...I call, if not it can wait until I see you. I definately not a social call maker.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I answer my phone. I tell it to "Shut up!" when it rings!!!

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I used to pick up every call however now I figure if they really want me they'll call back or leave a message. That doesn't always work tho...Once I had 48 messages dating back about a month. :(
I lost my cell phone for three months and did NOTHING about replacing it. I hate talking on the phone. If it's someone far away or someone I haven't spoken to in a long while I'll talk...but just talking for the sake of talking. Nope. If I have something important to relate...I call, if not it can wait until I see you. I definately not a social call maker.

Wow. You have managed to stun me, Littlelostnf. I'd never thought an extravert would dislike talking on the phone so much.

O

Oberon

On more than one occasion I have begged my ISFJ wife to not get up and answer the phone. Finally, after 18 years of marriage, she's let it go a couple times.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
On more than one occasion I have begged my ISFJ wife to not get up and answer the phone. Finally, after 18 years of marriage, she's let it go a couple times.

More and more and more confirmation every day that I am not an ISFJ. Leastways not a conventional one (and is there any other kind?).

Edit: this is mostly tongue-in-cheek. :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I almost always run to pick up the phone, unless it's an 888 number. I actually felt worried and guilty that I didn't reach the phone in time once because my hands were full. I have a phone right by the bed in case someone calls me in the middle of the night. Sometimes I even talk to the telemarketers, and tell them that I'm satisfied with my current services, and offer suggestions about how they could improve their offer. In fact, I wish people (not telemarketers) would call more often. :frown:

I'm most likely an INFJ, and even if I'm not, I'll stick with that because I'm used to the idea.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Do you answer your phone?

And what type are you?

1a. i rarely pick up the phone at home unless i know it is a sales call and i am in a pissy pood and feel like yelling at someone

1b. at work i mostly do but always screen who it is first. when the call could be emotionally charged, i sometimes let it go to voicemail

2. i am an INTP

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
Depends completely on my current mood, sometimes I want conversation so I will answer, and sometimes I will just cut off everyone and not answer, or be indisposed should my brother answer it.

I haven't switched the ringer off in awhile as only important people get my house number, and the mobile I can just ignore as it's caller id.

EDIT: INFP here

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
If it's someone I know, I answer it. If it's not and it's important, they'll leave a message. If it's not important enough to leave a message, it's not important enough for me to answer the phone. FU telemarketers!

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Wow. You have managed to stun me, Littlelostnf. I'd never thought an extravert would dislike talking on the phone so much.

You would not believe how much I hate it. I have people in my life who I know I must maintain contact with by phone (it the only way) but I have friends who are total talkers and I make up all sorts of excuses to get off the phone. I think they are starting to catch on. :shock:

Yeah not sure about the other extraverts here but for me telephone convo can be torture.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
You would not believe how much I hate it. I have people in my life who I know I must maintain contact with by phone (it the only way) but I have friends who are total talkers and I make up all sorts of excuses to get off the phone. I think they are starting to catch on. :shock:

I've an agreement now with a few of the people I chat with on the phone, if it's getting really bad, tiring, etc, I will say "OK, I have to hang up now". Usually employed those times when I *know* I should not have picked up. Ick.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've an agreement now with a few of the people I chat with on the phone, if it's getting really bad, tiring, etc, I will say "OK, I have to hang up now". Usually employed those times when I *know* I should not have picked up. Ick.

My line is: "Ok I'll let you go" That's suppose to work like...wow I know you've given me your precious time so I'll let you go use it on someone more worthy. ;) I know there are times when I know I shouldn't have picked up either...sigh.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
The old Line Going Dead might work from time to time, too. Just be sure you do it while you're talking, so as not to give it away ;)

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
The old Line Going Dead might work from time to time, too. Just be sure you do it while you're talking, so as not to give it away ;)

Last night I was on my im and a friend of mine (I was tempted to give her type but I'll refrain) anyway she imed me and I knew it was going to be long and more about me answering questions and her finding out my or others businesss...SO I didn't respond I tried to pretend like I wasn't there (away message was on)...

Then I got the im. "Wow you're not home YET I just talked to blah blah and she said you were on your way home from her house." DRAT! Found out! About five mins later I imed...sorry I was in the shower (oooo lie) And then it began...blah blah blah blah blah blah...type type type type...then WHAT!!!...NO TYPING for about 2 mins...I'm FREE! I type..."wow I'm tired going to bed night" ...all of a sudden!!!!!! NOOOOOOO the phone rings...it's of course her. I can't just NOT pick up (I know all you T's...SURE you don't have to pick up. Tell her your ringer was off.) Sigh...she knows I don't turn the ringer off. My parents are older I can't afford to turn the ringer off. :( Oh well. FORCED TO PICK UP THE PHONE!

Don't get me wrong I really do like her she's lovely..just a major talker. I hate doing this cause she's the type that will ask someone else...Was Littlelost on line last night but I think...especially at night I'm going to have to block her...sigh!

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Ugh. I feel for you, littlelostnf. Next time you're on IM with her you're going take your phone off the hook for about 30 minutes, right? :D

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Ugh. I feel for you, littlelostnf. Next time you're on IM with her you're going take your phone off the hook for about 30 minutes, right? :D

SEE that's why I'm here...some good old fashion good advice.
*note to self - take phone off hook*

Thanks. :D

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm in shock. Compared to you guys I pick up the phone a fair bit.
Home phone: No caller ID, so I wait for them to start to leave a message. If it's my parents or a friend who lives out of state or country, I pick up, or if I feel like it.

Cell: I have Caller ID. I pick up the same way. One of my friends is very chatty, and will talk for hours, but we are both AD/HD, so we'll sometimes stop in the middle, and forget that we're talking, and he's also NT, so we're usually debating. I don't have long, fluffy conversations no matter what. If one starts, I mysteriously have something that desperately needs to be taken care of.

INTP