• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do you answer your phone?

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
When I hear it, yes.
But I have a habit of leaving it under piles of clothing in another room, and it's always on vibrate. And people only seem to call me whenever I set it down and walk away.

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
Usually, whenever the phone rings (well vibrates, ring tones are so loud and annoying) a big debate happens in my mind and a giant panic strikes down with a side of fear. However, if it is my significant other I will happily answer. Sometimes if it is an unknown caller I will answer out of curiosity.

Also, I won't answer if there's other people around. It's too distracting and awkward to talk to someone when you have to worry about how you sound to another person besides the one on the phone.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe. Mostly no.

For the record: this enrages my SJ mother who thinks her baby chicks (age irrelevant) should be accessible to her AT ALL TIMES. :shock: NT father likes the phone as much as me. :sigh of relief:

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
If the phone rings, bullshit is afoot. I will not answer it because the person on the other end wants me to fix something for them.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm not always playing with my phone like many people I see out in the world.

I use it mostly to text, call, and check my business emails.

I'm generally not a huge fan of talking on the phone and texting especially because of the inherent loss of context (i.e. non-verbal communication) between the two parties communicating. I'm kind of old school about this, but I would rather talk face to face for a minute and get what I'm trying say across than spend 5 minutes on a call trying to clarify my points, or 15 minutes texting trying to do the same thing.

Call's and texts are great as a supplement to face - to - face, but the more I observe younger generations, the more it seems like communicating through some digital interface is the default for them as opposed to you know... actually trying to communicate with another human being.

That being said, I only make calls and send txts when I actually need to get in contact with someone regarding something important. The difficulty I have conducting small talk electronically may contribute to the trouble I have with keeping in contact with old friends who moved away, and with whom I would need to call or text regularly to stay in touch.

I answer probably 97% of the phone calls I get, because I assume that if they're calling they really need to get in touch with me... now.

It is for these reasons that it pisses me the fuck off when people don't answer my calls, or more specifically those who don't get back to me in a timely manner.

Basically, flakiness drives me up the damn wall.

midnightstar

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Not often because I hate talking on the phone - I get anxious :cry:

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. I hate talking on the phone. I'll usually answer texts right away, though.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I miss 2/3 of the calls I get cuz I'm usually paying attention to something else + my phone's always on vibrate. I choose not to answer about half of the calls I DO notice, because I simply hate being interrupted. That makes my answering rate about 1/6. Sounds about right.

Though I must admit I absolutely detest texting. It's worse than calling in that it's so time-inefficient. And I HATE typing on that tiny keypad on my smartphone.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Can people explain why they don't like answering the phone?

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
depends on who, most likely no but if i feel like it i will

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can people explain why they don't like answering the phone?

or anxiety combined with less personal methods of communication being provided

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I tell it to shut up when it rings.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
or anxiety combined with less personal methods of communication being provided
Can you elaborate?

I'm interested to find out if the people that feel anxious when the phone rings actually know why they feel that way.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I try not to. I only pick up when I've been waiting for a specific call, otherwise, when it comes to phones/msgs I'm avoidant as fuck. Unless theyre serious of course.

My reasoning is generally not havin the patience to listen to meaningless rambling. Sometimes anxiety over expecting the worst that can not be controlled.