User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by OK Radio View Post
    Like substitute said, it is relevant in that answering a telephone call means engaging in social obligations. It's the comfort level one has with interaction that drives how one views the instrument of the telephone.

A reluctance to answer the telephone is directly proportional to a reluctance to engage with the demands of society at any given moment.
    I used to live in suburbia. It was stressful for me in that neighbours were right on top of one another. We had what we call "garage people"; they'd live in their garages. Beautiful huge homes, on tiny pieces of land, all squashed next to each other. Many of them blew all their money on the house, they could barely afford window coverings. They certainly could not afford fences or decks for their tiny backyards so they put their lawn furniture, bbqs, pool tables, extra TVs and fridges in their garages. And then invited friends over. Parties in the garages would go on until midnight - on work nights. The noise level was unbelievable.

When I lived there, not only would I not answer the phone, I wouldn't answer the doorbell unless I was expecting someone.

Fast forward three years later, living in the country on an acre and a half with neighbours of similar intent (escaped the city, large properties) and I find I don't cringe when the phone rings. Or when someone comes to the door. I'm a lot less stressed here and a lot more willing to engage.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

I only answer the phone when it's someone I know really well. (Basically... Two friends and three close relatives.) Otherwise, I ignore it.

One of those friends, an ESFJ, actually moved me up to that level. Before, I never answered the phone, no matter who it was. (She called me over and over until I finally just gave up ignoring her.)

I'm an INTJ.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hi INTJ, Welcome aboard.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ISTP

I do answer my phone if it rings, since somehow it'd feel rude to ignore it and anyhow that's the quickest way to quiet it, but I leave the ringer off most of the time so it can't. Anybody I'd want to hear from would catch me online... all phone calls are wrong numbers, survey-takers, or my dentist reminding me of an appointment I'm well aware of.

A ringing phone is an awful sound. It's like an indoor leaf blower. The knowledge that it could ring at any time is what can gnaw on me though (hence the need to turn it off).

I don't even have a traditional phone and associated service.
    Outbound calling needs are handle with Skype's SkypeOut service.

I have an old mobile phone for emergency (police/fire) calls.

In other words:

I answer my phone so rarely... that it walked out on me and I haven't even noticed yet.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hoth View Post
    I do answer my phone if it rings, since somehow it'd feel rude to ignore it and anyhow that's the quickest way to quiet it, but I leave the ringer off most of the time so it can't. Anybody I'd want to hear from would catch me online... all phone calls are wrong numbers, survey-takers, or my dentist reminding me of an appointment I'm well aware of.

A ringing phone is an awful sound. It's like an indoor leaf blower. The knowledge that it could ring at any time is what can gnaw on me though (hence the need to turn it off).
    Yes, just the thought that it might ring is sometimes stressful for me. And I turn off all the ringers but one - the phone in the basement, it's far enough away that I hear it but it doesn't drill through me.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

heart on fire

I rarely pick up the phone without seeing who is calling and often I do let the voice mail get the call and call back at some other time. Some days I just don't feel like talking.

My husband is the only person who has my cell phone number. He keeps trying to give it out to other people and I keep having to warn him not to.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I rarely pick up the phone without seeing who is calling and often I do let the voice mail get the call and call back at some other time. Some days I just don't feel like talking.

My husband is the only person who has my cell phone number. He keeps trying to give it out to other people and I keep having to warn him not to.
    I had a similar problem while my mobile phone had service.
    Three people had that number, and I had to keep reminding two of them to not give it out.

That didn't work out so well.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Ashi, K? View Post
    I had a similar problem while my mobile phone had service.
    Three people had that number, and I had to keep reminding two of them to not give it out.

That didn't work out so well.
    That is exactly why I haven't given it out to my two closest female friends or my sisters.

I am still looking for a solution to this that doesn't cost a fortune.

For you... perhaps less sisters? I have only one and I find this helps greatly.