User Tag List

First 111920212223 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

My parents bought my cell phone since I refused to buy one and they were convinced that I'd get stranded somewhere without it. I always have my ringer turned off- my phone is mostly for text messaging purposes and talking once a week to my best friend who lives a good ways away. I hate calling people, so she calls me.

Though I think that there might be a bias on an online forum as to answering the telephone since this IS a group who appears to prefer an online form of communication!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Do you answer your phone?

NEVER the landline. Cursed thing never stops ringing and it's never for me. I'll answer my cellphone if I'm in the mood to socialize, so I guess 85% of the time. Thankfully my pals realize I'm not big on phone chat so they leave it till when we hang.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    Do you answer your phone?

NEVER the landline. Cursed thing never stops ringing and it's never for me. I'll answer my cellphone if I'm in the mood to socialize, so I guess 85% of the time. Thankfully my pals realize I'm not big on phone chat so they leave it till when we hang.

Lol I never answer the phone. I'm pretty much known by all my friends that they will never get ahold of me via cell phone, or home phone. I'll reply to texts sometimes...

Wasn't there a thread about INFJs not liking to use cell phones? It was either here or the INFJ tribe threads... haha I remember a bunch of INFJs all saying they strongly dislike the use of phones for communication.

Preferred method: In person or writing[emails text etc]

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I prefer to keep my cell turned off at all times. Which has led to certain friends telling me I am remarkably difficult to get a hold of.
    Last edited by dyspraxion; 11-18-2008 at 12:29 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I leave my phone in my bag, which is often not with me (because I'm often in the lab, not in the office). So it goes to voicemail, and if it's someone whom I know I listen and respond. If it's not, I ignore and delete it.

I only answer my cellphone when it vibrates (I can't stand ringing, it's annoying and loud and invasive) if:
    1) It's family
    2) It's a close friend whom I can bear regardless of timing
    3) It's someone who would normally never call me because he/she respects my privacy, so it must be something urgent.
    4) I'm expecting a call
    5) I'm bored and think it would be entertaining telling off the telemarketer
    6) I'm annoyed by the vibrating and beeping (sometimes I just switch it to silent mode)

I like people who arrange for meetings via text instead. It means that you can respond on your own schedule, not according to the other person's. And you can arrange to call only when it's the actual meeting time and the other person is late.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I think this thread needs a third question:

If not . . . why not?
    I'm usually doing something and I hate being disturbed.

If I'm not doing something I might find more interesting, I'm too busy relaxing or sleeping.

I also hate not having control of the situation, if I have a wish to contact someone, I am the person who will choose both the means and the time of the contact.

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    My eldest daughter, the ENFJ, however, is like a meerkat. Every time a pin drops in the other hemisphere, she's popping her head up and looking out of the window to see if it's someone for her. It's kinda like having my own butler - I never have to get up to answer the door when she's around. She's there before the bell's even finished ringing. But even with the doorbell, I always check through the spyhole if it's someone I want to see, before opening up.

My oldest daughter is also an ENFJ...and is very similar.

No...I don't answer my phone as a rule.

I will say this completely freaks out my oldest daughter and my ESFJ Mom who is now my third child. They ask frantically "Aren't you going to answer that?!"

MBTI
    INTP

It depends. I generally check the number, unless I'm in a conversation with someone. If it's someone who wouldn't ordinarily call unless it was important, I answer. Otherwise it goes to voice mail.

I worked with a PAC campaign manager over the summer who would call three or four times a day with mind-numbingly banal questions. After a while I started to twitch whenever I heard the ring tone.

Since then I've gotten a new phone and new tone and I believe I've recovered. FWIW, I don't get that many calls anyway. Most of my friends know it's better to send an email.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I always answer it when I hear it; I don't always hear it, though (cell phone). Even when it's somebody I don't like, there's a strange force that impels me to pick up the call automatically.

However, I don't like talking over the phone. I generally limit myself to saying "yes" "no" and communicating very essential information, because talking over the phone gives me anxiety (I'm serious) - i think due to the fact that I suck at interpreting emotional clues from the voice (ex. if I talk over the phone with my girlfriend, I always feel like she's pissed at me)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I always answer it when I hear it; I don't always hear it, though (cell phone). Even when it's somebody I don't like, there's a strange force that impels me to pick up the call automatically.

However, I don't like talking over the phone. I generally limit myself to saying "yes" "no" and communicating very essential information, because talking over the phone gives me anxiety (I'm serious) - i think due to the fact that I suck at interpreting emotional clues from the voice (ex. if I talk over the phone with my girlfriend, I always feel like she's pissed at me)
    It's the same for me... Absolutely hate talking on the phone, but I never avoid picking up in the first place -_-

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come