User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

sammy

I usually carry my phone with me everywhere. I've even answered the phone while sticking my head out of the shower on more than one occasion.

It's a really bad habit that I'm working on changing. One of my ENFP friends "trained" me to be that way but now that I don't think it is necessary to cater to her every beck and call (she was wasting a lot of my time and energy on social/her own personal drama) I no longer carry the thing with me as much as before.

And since I'm seeing someone, who happens to be an ENTJ, I pretty much know his schedule inside and out, so I do not call him when I know he is busy. When he is free to talk, I leave it as an open opportunity for either one of us to contact the other by carrying the phone with me.

I screen a lot of my calls, reject plenty by silencing the ringer, and return SMSes fairly quickly and dependably. I think I reject my Mother's (ESFJ) phone calls the most of anyone haha. I never, ever, pick up the house phone unless my Dad (ISTJ) and I are staring at each other, wondering who will have to pick it up first.

I am an ambiguous IxFJ.

edit: I am not afraid to talk on the phone whatsoever, it's just an inconvenience to talk to certain people when I know they have a difficult time ending conversations at inopportune moments. Usually, I just won't pick up the phone if I am busy anyway, so I don't have to worry about that as much.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Do you answer your phone?

Always. If I'm at my mother's, never (and always as a kid I refused to answer it). Someone else will get it.

And what type are you?

ENTJ

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I never answer the phone and keep the ringer off at all times. I do periodically check to see if anyone's called and since I check my email a gazillion times a day I have my voice mail connected to my email. That way if the kids school calls I can return the call immediately.

I have a cell phone that I turn on when I'm out and about (again in case the school calls) but I have it set on vibrate. Hearing a phone ring makes me very anxious. I love talking on the phone when I'm in the mood for it (I'll talk you ear off ask Ivy! ), but it's usually on my terms and I do all the calling.

My type is iNfJ
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I never answer the phone and keep the ringer off at all times. I do periodically check to see if anyone's called and since I check my email a gazillion times a day I have my voice mail connected to my email. That way if the kids school calls I can return the call immediately.

I have a cell phone that I turn on when I'm out and about (again in case the school calls) but I have it set on vibrate. Hearing a phone ring makes me very anxious. I love talking on the phone when I'm in the mood for it (I'll talk you ear off ask Ivy! ), but it's usually on my terms and I do all the calling.

My type is iNfJ
    It's true, she will, but it's very pleasant... for a phone call, says the phone-phobic I'd much rather hang out with you in 3D!

I get anxious when I hear the phone, too. Of course, our financial problems of a couple of years ago after Noah was laid off, in which we had people calling all the time asking for more money from the empty bank account, probably didn't help that. We're fine now but I still get that "oh, fuck, did I forget to pay something?" feeling in the pit of my stomach when the phone rings sometimes.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Do you answer your phone?

90% of the time I do. If I'm busy, I will pick up the phone and say that I'm busy and ask if I can call back the person later.

And what type are you?

ENTJ
    This is one thing I appreciate about ENTJ types and why you make such good salespeople and little terrors in the boardroom. I hate all that constant back and forth of scheduling for meetings and conference calls and follow ups and confirmations that is involved on the job, oy vey, gives me a headache. So it's reassuring to know you will get a call back or at least an answer when you try to call someone and be able to conduct very brief but not cryptic or rude phone calls and get stuff done.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ESTP

I answer my phone if I feel like it (which means on rare occasions) I prefer to screen my calls so that I don't get stuck talking to a sales person or someone who I really don't like I turn off the ringer on my phone for class and work and often forget to turn it back on until I'm setting my alarm on it to wake up in the morning- which means that I'll notice what calls I've missed sometime after midnight and can't call back then If I remember the next day I call them back!

People are better off texting me really- then I get thier message even when I have my ringer turned off and I can text them back when I see the message- whenever that is!

I DO always pick up my phone for my best friend and my weekly phone date though- she's calling from 5 time zones away, so we only have a small window of time in which we can speak

I end up talking for a long time usually if I DO pick up the phone- which is why I have an earpiece- so I usually don't pick up when I'm doing something else or need to do something soon!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    CzeCze, I've struggled with social anxiety as well. That might have something to do with my phone phobia.

I have to make a confession:

when I make necessary phone calls, I'm often relieved if the other party's answering machine picks up.
    I can relate to this, and also I think I have a fair dose of social anxiety.

I wonder how many introverts are introverts because of their social anxiety?? How many introverts lack social anxiety? Are there any? Do the two go hand in hand?

I answer my phone, but I often procrastinate in making calls. I'm also pretty uncomfortable using the phone for chit-chatting...so basically, I don't use the phone much at all. I always make plans w/ friends via email...thank goodness for email!!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I can relate to this, and also I think I have a fair dose of social anxiety.

I wonder how many introverts are introverts because of their social anxiety?? How many introverts lack social anxiety? Are there any? Do the two go hand in hand?

I answer my phone, but I often procrastinate in making calls. I'm also pretty uncomfortable using the phone for chit-chatting...so basically, I don't use the phone much at all. I always make plans w/ friends via email...thank goodness for email!!
    I think it's very possible that some people are misdiagnosed as introverts when they're really just shy extroverts whose energy is directed outward but blocked due to anxiety.

Starting in college I worked super hard on getting comfortable with people, and I don't have much social anxiety anymore. In a way I've become MORE introverted since then because I've been able to accept myself as an introvert without judging myself for being shy.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

sammy

I think it's very possible that some people are misdiagnosed as introverts when they're really just shy extroverts whose energy is directed outward but blocked due to anxiety.

Starting in college I worked super hard on getting comfortable with people, and I don't have much social anxiety anymore. In a way I've become MORE introverted since then because I've been able to accept myself as an introvert without judging myself for being shy.
    Ivy, wow, that's exactly like me. I've worked very hard to become extremely comfortable interacting with people in the past few years and broken free of social anxieties along the way... but now, I'm okay with just being who I am and requiring time to myself, away from the social scene periodically to remove myself from drama.

Or, I could be a shy extrovert. Who knows. But it's certainly helped in my phone-picking up abilities!

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I did the same thing in college, and I'm far, far more comfortable with people now than I was when I was younger.

But the residual anxiety is still there at times, and one of the things I still struggle with is feeling extremely self-conscious of my quietness. Perhaps it's my Fe, and my thinking it's not 'ok' to be quiet because I think other people want me to talk more. Hmm. So yeah, I still have a few things to address.

Also, this ties to my dislike of the phone!! I'm not that talkative to begin with!! :-)

Anyway...good points!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ