User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

I never pick up my home phone unless I'm expecting a call (no caller ID, unfortunately).

As for my cell phone, which does have caller ID, that depends on whether I feel like talking to the person or not. There are only two people who I will always pick up the phone for.

My type is to the left of this post.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

MBTI
    INFJ

I answer the phone probably about 20% of the time unless I am in a really good mood (which is not very often). I do listen to my voice mail messages and read test messages. I am more likely to respond to text messages because it does not require me talking with the person.

It's partly a control issue. I want to control if and when (and where) I talk with people. So I may call them back later if I feel like it. Often I feel like they are interrupted my precious time and I will be bored. I am often reading when the phone rings and I would much rather continue reading.

I figure that if it's important they will leave a message and if I need to call them back I will. Short of that, chatting is not one of my favorite pastimes.

I am an INFJ.
    People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.
    Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
    US cartoonist (1958 - )

MBTI
    INTJ

People tend to call when 'they' are in good mood or bored or having free time - so if this does not go with me, I never answer the phone. I rather call back when I have more free time (and when I'm resting in between my obsessive hobbies).

Once I was so obsessed in doing something I didn't answer calls from my friend five times in a row. Basically I wasn't feeling like talking about 'unimportant' (how are you doing, my day was like this etc.), so I shut off my phone for a while.

My friend thought I had an accident.
    I-31, N-25, T-55, J-27
    "Place the visible at the service of the invisible" - Redon, Odilon

MBTI
    INTJ

My cell phone just rang. Only one person calls my cell phone, and he knows I'm home, and that phone hasn't rung. So I went to find the damned thing and look; I didn't recognize the number so I hit "ignore" and went back to what I was doing. Hmmmp.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    And what type are you? My burning questions this morning.

Do you answer your phone?

And what type are you?

------------------------
    A) Yep. But it's a cellphone and am selective about who gets the number. When I don't want to be distrubed, I turn it off.

B) IXTJ (whatever that may mean)

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

A) Caller ID is wonderful.

B) iNtj

For me, answering the telephone is actually no big deal. At the same time, though, I usually sit back hoping that somebody else in the house will pick it up. The real problem for me, on the other hand, is calling other people. I have no idea why, but for some reason even the notion of calling somebody makes me cringe.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INTJ

I exclusively use my cell phone, and always screen calls with the caller ID before answering.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I was reminded of this thread recently. One of my favorites in MBTIc history.

An update- I got a new answering machine with a VOLUME BUTTON! which means I can turn the ringer off AND not hear the message! So I don't even know people called until I check it on purpose! Unfortunately, I was missing important messages that way, so I had to turn on the "message waiting" signal so that I would get messages right away.

So I guess the long and short of it is that I'm still not answering the phone, and I'm still pretty okay with it.

I originally thought this was tied to introversion. Recently, I have been questioning it. Maybe some introverts like the phone because it offer a buffer between conversants, since you can't see each other? I know that my sister is very much an extrovert, and she is VERY curt on the phone because so much of her communication is through body language and facial expressions. I know when I call her that I have to keep it short and sweet or she will get bored! So it may not be tied to I/E after all.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

If my phone isn't dead, and I'm not in a meeting or class, I'll answer it.
    Unfortunately, it's been dead for two days.