User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Question Which INTJ Cognitive Function can endure more torture and abuse: Fi or Se ?

Which INTJ Cognitive Function can take more torture and abuse: Tertiary-Fi or Inferior-Se ?
    I am a novice when it comes to cognitive functions.
    I am asking for a practical reason.
    At work, I just got moved to a section where women wear perfume and the smell is driving me insane.
    The smells are too intense and they hurt my sinuses as I am breathing.
    I have set up 2 fans to blow the air flow in the opposite direction, but even with that, one of the perfumes was starting to give me a headache today.
    I am thinking of asking to be moved to a different area.
    In that area, there is a woman who I am pretty sure will be an emotional bully.
    I'm trying to decide which kind of torture should be easier for me to endure... the emotional torture or the physical torture.
    Because Se is my inferior, I'm thinking it's harder for me to endure physical torture, but I wanted to check with others who know better than I do.
    No. I am not going to quit my job, though I did consider doing so. There is no other game in town.

EDIT TO ADD

I found out today that the REASON nothing was ever done for the other 2 ladies who were sensitive to scents is because they were salaried employees.
    Today a couple of my co-workers told me that because I am in a Union, my supervisors HAVE to do something.
    I have HOPE again!
    Not only that, but both ladies wore very little fragrance today. It was nice!
    Last edited by INTJMom; 07-28-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: add info

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Tell them you have an allergy or sensitivity to strong fragrances and it is causing you physical pain/decreasing work productivity. Ask if there is another area you can do your work. If it continues to be an issue go to the other area and assert your dominance over the emotional bully, or at least set firm boundaries and expectations if she starts to act up. As much as I tend to dislike HR and their PC nonsense, if they are present at your work you can utilize them to respond to a hostile workplace if it goes that direction. As with most skills, ability to withstand torture/pain takes practice. I don't recommend it unless you have exhausted other avenues. No point suffering just to avoid the mild unpleasantness of brief conflict.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    INTJ

You didn't really answer my question.
    I'm trying to decide if I should stay where I'm at or if I should ask to be moved.

If I ask to be moved, will I be more miserable than I am right now?

The one woman with the stinky perfume told me I was going to have to wear a nose plug.

The other woman with the intense perfume is trying to wear less, so it won't bother me as much, but she's not very successful on some days.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Which INTJ Cognitive Function can take more torture and abuse: Tertiary-Fi or Inferior-Se ?

I am a novice when it comes to cognitive functions.

I am asking for a practical reason.

At work, I just got moved to a section where women wear perfume and the smell is driving me insane.
    The smells are too intense and they hurt my sinuses as I am breathing.
    I have set up 2 fans to blow the air flow in the opposite direction, but even with that, one of the perfumes was starting to give me a headache today.

I am thinking of asking to be moved to a different area.
    In that area, there is a woman who I am pretty sure will be an emotional bully.
    The answer is highly dependent on exactly what the nature of the "torture" is. When presented with an unpalatable slate of choices, my first inclination is to say "none of the above" and find some other creative workaround. Assuming you have exhausted such possibilities, I would ask to be moved because in this case, the ornery coworker seems like a more tractable problem, and if nothing else, a more intermittent one. (You probably smell the odors constantly, but the coworker might become a bother only intermittently.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ

Let's assume I spend the exact same amount of time being tortured by either one,
    which one will I be able to survive longer while keeping my cheerful demeanor?

I am sure being in the same room with the bully will be an equal amount of torture.

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNTJ

If you're stoic, tactful, and immune to emotional frivolity, then choose to be moved. Draw the line from day one at the risk of appearing an insensitive bitch. Your sanity is more important.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

You didn't really answer my question.
    I'm trying to decide if I should stay where I'm at or if I should ask to be moved.

If I ask to be moved, will I be more miserable than I am right now?

The one woman with the stinky perfume told me I was going to have to wear a nose plug.

The other woman with the intense perfume is trying to wear less, so it won't bother me as much, but she's not very successful on some days.
    You are correct, I did not answer your question; I answered your problem. You stated you were asking for practical reasons so I gave a practical answer. I did so because the capacity to withstand discomfort is multifactorial and not function dependent. Resilience is a spectrum and it is nearly impossible to accurately predict where a person may fall on that spectrum at any given point in time as it is variable.
    If you are really just looking for someone to affirm you in a decision then I say if your are not prone to injury by pettiness and projected insecurity, go work near the "bully".
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Let's assume I spend the exact same amount of time being tortured by either one,
    which one will I be able to survive longer while keeping my cheerful demeanor?

I am sure being in the same room with the bully will be an equal amount of torture.
    You are starting to overdetermine the solution, and abstract away the situation to the point of being too divorced from reality to retain practical utility.

I don't put much of a premium on cheerful demeanor, so I suspect my take on all this may be significantly different from yours.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The answer is highly dependent on exactly what the nature of the "torture" is. When presented with an unpalatable slate of choices, my first inclination is to say "none of the above" and find some other creative workaround. Assuming you have exhausted such possibilities, I would ask to be moved because in this case, the ornery coworker seems like a more tractable problem, and if nothing else, a more intermittent one. (You probably smell the odors constantly, but the coworker might become a bother only intermittently.)
    This.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You are starting to overdetermine the solution, and abstract away the situation to the point of being too divorced from reality to retain practical utility.

I don't put much of a premium on cheerful demeanor, so I suspect my take on all this may be significantly different from yours.
    I'm asking for a completely technical explanation of the success of the tertiary vs the inferior.
    I didn't expect it to be so complicated.