User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: NTs and time

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Music is an interesting phenomenon with me, as I place songs which I enjoy in a time interval. Hearing that certain song takes me back to that interval and I can relive some of the feelings and sensations from that time. That is how I'm able to place the year the song came out.
    I do this as well. Music and "Where I Lived When" are how I frame my references. I have moved 17 times...

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    I do this as well. Music and "Where I Lived When" are how I frame my references. I have moved 17 times...
    It's been about that many times for me too, although most of them in my 20's. I've been in the same place for 7 years now ... longest ever. Perhaps that is why my music intervals are more crisp and punctuated from earlier years. More intervals into which to divide them.

MBTI
    ENTP

Love this thread because it makes me realize I am not crazy. Well, at least not alone.

Substitute, I so know what you mean by the trigger date. I never have any idea what day or date it is, only that I have 5 days until Thursday when that project is due; or I have 3 weeks until I have to start planning for my trip for which I am leaving on Oct 27.

My big problem is that I frequently don't realize that 'the doctor's appointment on Thursday' and 'the lunch I have on the 13th' are actually the same day.

This is a big problem for me (actually for people around me) and I have to come up with many coping strategies. I have trouble with recurring events, like every Tuesday is softball practice. What? Is today Tuesday???? Plus, I immediately want to reject the whole notion because doing something every Tuesday sounds so restrictive to me. Every Tuesday? Are you kidding me? What?

Also, if someone says, "Let's make our meetings the 3rd Tuesday of every month," it's like they're saying "Let's make our meetings blah, blah, blah."

This interval time thing makes me seem like a space cadet to other people, but I'm not. I just have this challenge. Sometimes I try to explain my calendar challenge to normal people and they just do not understand.

I completely agree with the interval past and the spacing out in the middle of reading or watching. I love to drive on long car trips and listen to books on tape because I completely enter that self-hypnosis zone.

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah, that main down side to all this for me though is that I am so reliant on cues to be able to track the passage of time at all, especially once that time becomes 'past'. The past is gone to me, often no sooner than it was present. So... to know how long it's been since I last called someone or wrote to them or went to see them, or how long it's been since they asked me to find something out or do something for them and said there was no deadline, no pressure, and I still haven't got back to them.

So you get things like the first I realize of it, is when I get the cue. And the cue is sadly, sometimes, "You haven't called me for over a month!" or "I wrote tor you three times and gave up when after two months I got no reply!"

to me, the event of receiving and reading their letter, once it was past, just joined the ranks of "stuff I did" if I think about it, and to me they're no different whether they were yesterday or ten years ago. Whilst they might've been acutely aware that they had waited a long time for a reply, it still seems like only yesterday to me that I even got the letter.

I have developed some coping mechanisms for this. I set myself aside days to do certain things, to make sure I do them. I call them my J Days, haha... I put on the calendar that a certain day is J day, then set alarms on my cellphone, computer, everything, to keep reminding me when it's getting closer to J Day. And on the day, I'll go through all my mail, e-mails, phone messages, and scour my memory for any conversations I've had where I've said I'd do something. And I make a list and then blitz through them all in one day.

Then return to normal P mode

The main thing I'm realizing, the more I think about it, is that in my mind time is not linear. I don't remember events either future, past or present in terms of a linear sorta thing, like a line going straight along, with little points or dots on it for events like a railway line map. That's not how I see things... this isn't by choice, it's just the way my mind involuntarily works. I see it more like a big sorta plate of spaghetti with little meatballs all over the damn place, connected and intersected by dozens of different lines.

So... this means that possibly the reason why event X doesn't seem so long ago to me is because on the spaghetti map haha, I have a shortcut from here to there, it doesn't look so far away as it would if I saw it as a point a long way down a straight line with lots of other stuff that's happened in between then and now.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

I picture my life as a big gantt chart with lots of project timelines -- unfortunately I need some of your spaghetti to tie the projects together.

I can remember the past but only because I have a very developed system for logically linking memories (think computer directories and subdirectories).

MBTI
    INxJ

Time is completely irrelevant to me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    (y)
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTP

i have a better memory than anyone ive ever met.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Yeah, that main down side to all this for me though is that I am so reliant on cues to be able to track the passage of time at all, especially once that time becomes 'past'. The past is gone to me, often no sooner than it was present. So... to know how long it's been since I last called someone or wrote to them or went to see them, or how long it's been since they asked me to find something out or do something for them and said there was no deadline, no pressure, and I still haven't got back to them.

So you get things like the first I realize of it, is when I get the cue. And the cue is sadly, sometimes, "You haven't called me for over a month!" or "I wrote tor you three times and gave up when after two months I got no reply!"
    Wow can I relate to that. My friends are used to be 'disappearing' for months at a time because in my mind 'we just talked!'. More demanding friends whose feelings were hurt by my behaviour have all given up on me.

I have developed some coping mechanisms for this. I set myself aside days to do certain things, to make sure I do them. I call them my J Days, haha... I put on the calendar that a certain day is J day, then set alarms on my cellphone, computer, everything, to keep reminding me when it's getting closer to J Day. And on the day, I'll go through all my mail, e-mails, phone messages, and scour my memory for any conversations I've had where I've said I'd do something. And I make a list and then blitz through them all in one day.

Then return to normal P mode
    My Outlook calendar is FILLED with (repeated) reminders about things that I need to do. My lack of understanding time leads to terrible procrastination and even with all the reminders it still somehow doesn't sink in until I see 'Reminder - 4 hours until parent teacher conference' when I realize that it suddenly has an impact on what I should be doing in the present.

The main thing I'm realizing, the more I think about it, is that in my mind time is not linear. I don't remember events either future, past or present in terms of a linear sorta thing, like a line going straight along, with little points or dots on it for events like a railway line map. That's not how I see things... this isn't by choice, it's just the way my mind involuntarily works. I see it more like a big sorta plate of spaghetti with little meatballs all over the damn place, connected and intersected by dozens of different lines.
    :yim_rolling_on_the_

Thats awesome. I literally nearly spit out my water when I read that.

So... this means that possibly the reason why event X doesn't seem so long ago to me is because on the spaghetti map haha, I have a shortcut from here to there, it doesn't look so far away as it would if I saw it as a point a long way down a straight line with lots of other stuff that's happened in between then and now.
    You've summed up my experiences with time pretty well. Although, its odd that I haven't ever attributed it to a problem of mine personally. It never occurred to me that it might not be the same for others, I've just found ways to deal with it, essentially 'idiot proofing' my existence. My friends laugh at me because I deliberately create all of these backup plans and catch-all, fail-safe kind of things for important stuff. I told a friend once that my world was made up of lots of happy coincidences, brought on by the subconcious part of my mind working on things that the conscience doesn't give a crap about. In those moments I go 'wow... I was really smart to have thought of that months ago and put this in place just for this particular moment'.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
    I picture my life as a big gantt chart with lots of project timelines -- unfortunately I need some of your spaghetti to tie the projects together.

I can remember the past but only because I have a very developed system for logically linking memories (think computer directories and subdirectories).
    I can relate to this. I feel like my brain is a giant computer that files and locates information by various interconnected pathways. Therefore time is not necessarily linear for me.

For a while I could remember every detail of my life from about 1-1/2 and watch it in my head like a movie. I attributed this to the fact that as a navy kid I moved every 2 years so I have very specific memories linked to specific places I've lived. I thought that if everyone could catagorize their memories like I could theirs would be just the same as mine.

However, after attending a few 20 year reunions, I realize that my memory for details, conversations and events is much clearer for me than others. I remember things people told me they did twenty years ago that they themselves have forgotten.

I have always had an almost photographic (?) audio memory which made college a breeze (while taking tests I could "hear" the professor's lecture answer a particular question.

As I get older, however I am beginning to have gaps in the linear progression, I know it's still in my head. I've just forgotten what I filed it under.

The past and present seems to blend into one giant whole triggered by scents, sounds, smells, ect. I find myself sometimes forgetting what year it is by a huge margin. I've been known to write 1987 on a check in 2009!

In reality, time for me is an arbitrary categorization in order to link events with significance and nothing more.

A very interesting thread, thanks for starting it!

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriH-8yeqcE"].[/YOUTUBE]

Time of course is a different topic for an outerdimensional being
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]