User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    °Nt

Default TYPE CHANGE? Is it possible

Can a dramatic experience or the repetitive intention of change cause major alterations in your type?

Any experiences?
    Last edited by EnnisPreit; 07-05-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    The nature of my sine is 23.4 at best.

Winter in Your Soul Crystal Winter Dream's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    174 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

A traumatic event is speculated to be able to cause a change in type, as well as mental illness altering what your type may be. (i.e. someone with social anxiety seen as a introvert though they may have been an extrovert)
    Likes Zeego liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTp Te

In very hard stress situations your inferior function become your dom function. So if you are ENTJ you will become ISFP. I always said that when you are destroy ENTJ he/she become one little kittie. "I am not do that" , "I am worthy.." Fi dom as hell.
    True Neutral /SLOAN+ RxOe|I|/5w4-8w9-4w5 Te>Ni>Fi>Ti>>>>>Fe
    "There is no intellectualism in faith. Both atheist and theist choose their belief system based on ego and self-preservation." by 2017

You call me selfish but wait...
    People are generally selfish.
    They don't cere about truth.
    They cere about their truths.
    -by myself.
    YOUR POINT OF VIEW IS NOT IMPORTANT CUZ YOU MADE IT UNIMPORTANT!

MBTI
    °Nt

Quote Originally Posted by Norexan View Post
    In very hard stress situations your inferior function become your dom function. So if you are ENTJ you will become ISFP. I always said that when you are destroy ENTJ he/she become one little kittie. "I am not do that" , "I am worthy.." Fi dom as hell.
    I believe that every person is using both sets of 4 functions for a total of 8.

ENTJ (Te Ni Se Fi) & INTP (Ti Ne Si Fe)

Thinking - Intuition - Sensing - Feeling

The same way we have a left and right side we have a left and right personality.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTp Te

Only INFJ can you use both side of brain equally.
    True Neutral /SLOAN+ RxOe|I|/5w4-8w9-4w5 Te>Ni>Fi>Ti>>>>>Fe
    "There is no intellectualism in faith. Both atheist and theist choose their belief system based on ego and self-preservation." by 2017

You call me selfish but wait...
    People are generally selfish.
    They don't cere about truth.
    They cere about their truths.
    -by myself.
    YOUR POINT OF VIEW IS NOT IMPORTANT CUZ YOU MADE IT UNIMPORTANT!

MBTI
    °Nt

Quote Originally Posted by Norexan View Post
    Only INFJ can you use both side of brain equally.
    I use both sides of my brain equally.

It certainly hasn't made my life easy.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I wonder if it's less that your type changes and more that you grow into your true self. Or even accept who you are fully without situational/environmental/cultural bias.

For example, my Dad is an INTJ & my mom is an ESTP. For my Dad, we have a lot of interests in common, but he strongly views emotions as a negative. To the point where he does not take emotional arguments seriously and as a child, I would end up in trouble when I acted overly emotional. He also strongly disagreed with my "nomad" tendencies and we were actually estranged during a time in my life when I was bouncing all over the world. My mom, on the other hand, lived vicariously through my nomadic lifestyle, but could never do it herself because of intense cultural restraints put upon her. She also viewed Fi fueled arguments as unnecessary or "rocking the boat" because she is immersed in a culture that is centered around doing what you *should* do, not what you feel is right. Looking back, I've always been me and was probably a textbook ENFP, but the qualities that made me who I am were highly discouraged throughout my childhood and early adulthood. Now that I no longer live at home, I'm a lot more comfortable being my true, authentic self.

I mention both of these examples because I first took the MBTI, I tested as INTP and then ENTP. I viewed emotions so negatively due to my upbringing that I couldn't admit to myself that they were driving so many of my decisions. The bias I inherited from my mom's culture of "doing what is best for the family" and acting in accordance to cultural social rules (and looking down upon individualism) definitely framed the false Fe vs my natural Fi. It wasn't until I was in my late twenties, far away from home, that I ended up having to take the official MBTI for a class and tested ENFP. Even then, it was really tough to fully accept that I'm actually using Fi strongly!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I've always held that type is fluid, just like many other aspects of the self. I often see people claiming that type can't change based on "official" MBTI statements instead of using their own reasoning.
    We will meet again in Etruria.

INTP
    INFp/IEI
    5w4 - 9w1 - 4w5 sp/sx
    MelPhleg

Johari | Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so

Quote Originally Posted by Zeego View Post
    I've always held that type is fluid, just like many other aspects of the self. I often see people claiming that type can't change based on "official" MBTI statements instead of using their own reasoning.
    Well why would people use their own reasoning to make conclusions about and inconsistent with someone else's system of typology? If their conclusions lead them to something that they view as outside of or inconsistent with the theory...then they aren't dealing with the theory anymore, so why not make up their own theory rather than twisting someone else's theory?

What do you mean by putting the word official in quotation marks?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Guitar Wankery View Post
    Well why would people use their own reasoning to make conclusions about and inconsistent with someone else's system of typology? If their conclusions lead them to something that they view as outside of or inconsistent with the theory...then they aren't dealing with the theory anymore, so why not make up their own theory rather than twisting someone else's theory?
    In this case, it's not twisting someone else's theory so much as an alternate interpretation of Jung. If someone has their own reasons to believe that type can't change, I'm fine with that. In fact, one of the things I like so much about the typology community is that everyone has their own personal interpretations, almost like different branches of a religion. What I don't like is when someone says "so-and-so said this, so it must be the one true theory" and then everyone is expected to conform to that. And I'd argue that relying on the reasoning of others instead of using your own reasoning leads to groupthink.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Guitar Wankery View Post
    What do you mean by putting the word official in quotation marks?
    I put it in quotation marks because in a field as abstract as personality typology, "officiality" is really relative. In fact, I'd argue that the only true authority is Jung himself for inventing the framework that everyone else is using. But beyond that, a Russian Socionist wouldn't consider Isabel Briggs-Myers to be an official authority, for example.
    We will meet again in Etruria.

INTP
    INFp/IEI
    5w4 - 9w1 - 4w5 sp/sx
    MelPhleg

Johari | Nohari