• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENTP or ISTP

Chilichimichanga

MBTI Type
ENTP
What is the velocity of an unladen swallow?
We can find that out by deriving a relation between the velocity of an unladed swallow and a laded swallow experimentally or theoretically and later realizing you just wasted a few hours of your time figuring it out but well, it was interesting so whatever lol

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm going to go into Perception functions with some depth here, as I think it may be helpful:

Both forms of Sensation are useful for noticing details in the environment, at least I believe this to be the case. An important difference between Se and Si has to do with focus, but both SJs and SPs can handle themselves well with details of the environment.

Se has more of a direct focus on what things are in the environment. It cares about what things are independently of the subject. By itself, Se does not compare any piece of data with any other piece of data recalled in the subject. Se is the most straightforward perception function there is: within it's perspective, by itself, each thing is what it is as it is, period.

Si, on the other hand, is significantly different, because it places a greater focus on what things make the subject recall. For Si, the nature of things outside of the subject isn't really what matters, but rather, the past experiences that are recalled due to experience with things. Si cares about comparing pieces of data with each other, as opposed to Se's approach of seeing each piece of data independently.

On to the Intuition functions:

Ni is Se's partner: it looks for patterns that join together Se pieces of data. It sees long-term trends, projects into the future, and sees potential implications of decisions and events. Contrary to Si, it generally doesn't rely on past experience as much, and tends to see the future as something to be leaped into with a sense of certainty.

Ne is Si's partner: it sees potential in the environment which is cross-referenced with Si past experience. While it is future oriented (like Ni), unlike Ni, it isn't so much about long-term trends, but rather, about seeing short-term potential. It sees multiple possibilities quickly. For Ne, the future isn't a unidirectional singularity (as Ni sees it), but rather, it's something that is impossible to predict with certainty, and is best seen in terms of multiple potential scenarios, as opposed to one scenario.

I think many ISTPs might naturally dislike Ne, because to them, there's little point in playing with possibilities that feel detached from data available in the here and now. To the ISTP, it's preferable to just act on concrete data that is presently available, and see where things go from there, whereas INTPs (at least from my understanding), because of their preference for Ne over Se, might not really care much for acting on such data in the same manner that an ISTP might; instead, an INTP may prefer to toy with possibilities, thinking about things that could be done without focusing much on what current available data is. Of course, in order to work on these Ne ideas, an INTP might require Si past experience, in order to inform the INTP about which ideas have the highest correlation with what the INTP knows to have worked in the past.

The ISTP is likelier to run with available present data (Se) possibly considering future implications (Ni), while the INTP is likelier to run with short-term visualized possibilities (Ne) that might be cross-referenced with past experience (Si).

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
There is another possibility to consider, which is you being a Te Dom. But Te is very different from Ti.

Ti is slow and calculating, it takes it's time to make sense out of measurable facts. Te also deals with measurable facts, but does so more in a trial-and-error fashion (at least this is my understanding of it). It makes snap judgements on how productivity can be increased, and how costs can be lessened.

Chilichimichanga

MBTI Type
ENTP
I definitely use Ti, I rarely rush things without understanding them completely unless of course forced to do so then I act decisively and get it done with maximum efficiency for example if a test requires me to get 50% to pass, I'll study for about 60% and give the test because I'm fufilling the purpose of passing the test so I don't see the point in getting 90% or something
So what would be a good example to differentiate between Se and Ne???

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
So what would be a good example to differentiate between Se and Ne???

The two functions are so different it's impossible to use them both at once.

Let's say you're standing in front of a tree.

Se would see the tree, notice the color of the trunk, the branches, and the leaves. It only notices data that falls within a person's sensory perception radar, so, by itself, it cannot consider possible information outside of this radar (this radar covers the range within which a person an hear, see, smell, taste, or touch: it also limits itself to looking directly at the available data, as opposed to cosidering possibilities that lie ouside of this data).

Ne is the opposite: someone who prefers Ne would look at a tree, but may focus instead on the animal(s) that could be behind the tree, but the person can't see at the moment, or on insects that may be on the branches, but are hidden from the person's view (I should emphasize that in these cases, the person has not seen any of this and is basically speculating, and this speculation might be based on Si past experience: "I guess this because I've seen that happen these other times"). It's focused ouside of the Se radar, and it can consider possibilities outside of directly available information.

I should mention that I personally can use both of these functions, and think that most people should be able to use both: however, I have a clear preference for Se, as I'm likelier to anchor myself on data directly available than on possibilities that lie outside of that.

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
So does not assuming a possibility I came up with without enough evidence show Se???

I think people of any type can think about things they have little to no evidence for.

A key thing to note is that Se (by itself) always has a direct relationship with hard evidence, Ne lacks this sort of relationship, as it is more in tune with potential and what could be there but currently isn't. Ne needs Si to give it stored facts that it can ground its speculations on.

With Ni/Se, you care more about seeing what things are, and how they can be fit in patterns, with Si/Ne, you care more about seeing how things compare with other things, and how that knowledge may be used to see potential for innovation.

The distinction can seem subtle, as both axes of perception are useful for increasing knowledge. And who knows if you may have used all 4 perception functions, so perhaps you might struggle with relating to preferences.

Perhaps you can temporarily type yourself as IxTP, until you feel you've found a type preference you can relate with.

Feel free to message me, and maybe take the time to read up on the perception functions yourself. And I suggest you watch at least some of Michael Pierce's vids on Myers-Briggs.

dragon21

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I am new
I am black
I am INTP
I don't believe in function tandems
I make quick decisions with my Ti in areas I have a lot of experience with
Jung never talked by about tandems or needing sensing to perceive all perceiving functions to do that
I have Ne....this was funny

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am new
I am black
I am INTP
I don't believe in function tandems
I make quick decisions with my Ti in areas I have a lot of experience with
Jung never talked by about tandems or needing sensing to perceive all perceiving functions to do that
I have Ne....this was funny

What superpowers does being black has ? :D