• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Can loudness really be classified as a personality trait?

PalebloodHunter

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I've been hearing it so often here that ENTPs are generally loud. I don't understand how that can be a thing but I can't argue against it because I happen to be INCREDIBLY loud as per my colleagues. People think I'm shouting at them when I'm not. That combined with my usually serious face makes people think I'm unfriendly whereas I'm far from that. They're all surprised when I texting me because they find me to be completely different.

Does it have something to do with the fierce need to debate which leads to people raising their voice? Or is it just a fallacy?

Eitherways, I'd like to tone it down a few notches as it really seems to cause discomfort to people :\

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get loud when I'm explaining/arguing something that I'm impassioned about. I think it's a product of needing my Ne momentum in order to get my introverted judging function expressed. Usually it comes off defensive or more aggressive than I mean it to. I'm mostly good at adjusting to my environment though. I'm not always loud, but honestly it's fun to get riled up, either with friends getting amped up riffing on jokes or speaking my mind about something. I don't mind having it in my arsenal.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I've been hearing it so often here that ENTPs are generally loud. I don't understand how that can be a thing but I can't argue against it because I happen to be INCREDIBLY loud as per my colleagues. People think I'm shouting at them when I'm not. That combined with my usually serious face makes people think I'm unfriendly whereas I'm far from that. They're all surprised when I texting me because they find me to be completely different.

Does it have something to do with the fierce need to debate which leads to people raising their voice? Or is it just a fallacy?

Eitherways, I'd like to tone it down a few notches as it really seems to cause discomfort to people :\

I suppose it's the fierce need to debate but being an e7 is much more in play here. The Enneagram Blogspot: Type 7: Stimulation-Seeker

It's not type related in my experience. My father is an ESTJ - he is loud AF but won't tone it down. My ENFJ is also loud but only at certain time. He teaches and presents and doesn't use a microphone. This is understandable but he does it on the phone too. When I hear that, I point it out and he turns down the volume. He isn't loud the rest of the time at all so, it's odd. I think being aware of it is the only way to tone it down but you have to work on it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I suppose it's the fierce need to debate but being an e7 is much more in play here. The Enneagram Blogspot: Type 7: Stimulation-Seeker

It's not type related in my experience. My father is an ESTJ - he is loud AF but won't tone it down. My ENFJ is also loud but only at certain time. He teaches and presents and doesn't use a microphone. This is understandable but he does it on the phone too. When I hear that, I point it out and he turns down the volume. He isn't loud the rest of the time at all so, it's odd. I think being aware of it is the only way to tone it down but you have to work on it.

I learned to be loud and forceful due to my exes family. You have to to be heard. Her father is ESTJ as well, whole family is loud due to that upbringing. I am more of an as needed basis. I can match people decently and use it more for effect as opposed to a way of life.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would typically associate it mostly with extroverts as far as personality is concerned, but not much categorization beyond that. Speaking very loudly can come from a variety of sources like culture and family. It can also be an expression of deep seated anger and/or a need to be heard.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
No.
I know some loud introverts.

AGameOfChance

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't say I'm particularly loud.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Oh geez I'm actually loud? I mean the tone of my voice is loud. XD

Like whenever my enfj friends Yeah they're two.. We're like all shouting with each other xD and my isfj? Friend was like... Why are we shouting when we're just in front of each other. XD

Then i actually did that with another en/sfj friend.. But her voice is normal.. She said my voice is loud. XD

But i don't think it is.. Probably when the conversation is interesting, i unknowing louden my voice.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Then my esfj ex.. He thought I'm angry with him because whenever I'm talking with him.. He said I'm angry? :(
Yeah some people told me if I'm angry when i talk.. And to relax when I'm very passionate about what I'm saying..

But! I really shout when I'm angry. Like that's where i know I'm angry and i shout

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

my entp brother can become loud when his humor is stirred (often)...when it is time to get things done he quiets down (almost too much)... i am the same, but my humor manifests physically less often... we both laugh at private (by which i mean internal) jokes, but for me that is more subtle... the less i care to explain, the more likely only my eyes or breathing give my internal chuckle away (most strangers don't see it)... when he has those moments "trolling" often follows... my "trolling" is much more subtle, unless i am interacting with family or old friends... our entire family is fluent in sarcasm, with the possible exception of my infp half brother... if my full brothers and i aren't subtly/overtly flipping you shit, we are either uncomfortable, unfamiliar, unconcerned, or not fond of you...

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hum good question. My guess would be EXTP. Both are loud and attention seeking. Loud men are in my top 5 turn offs. The louder they are the less intellectual they appear.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My guess is that loudness correlates with extroversion, but being loud does not necessarily mean that you are an extrovert.

á´…eparted

passages
If I am in a good mood I am on the loud side of things, but I always sort of monitor my environment so I know what an appropriate level of loudness would be.