• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What do NTs say/think about passion and compassion?

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I think I have enough of both to keep me interested in following my dreams and keep me from being duped by those people in the world who prey on people's compassion.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They both have thier place, but I don't think that either should rule a person. You aren't a person if you lack passion or compassion, but you are an unwise person if you let either run crazy- thinking definitley has it's place. ;)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
interesting what you say whatever, cos I view my compassion and passion (both of which are pretty high) as being actual products of my Thinking... :thinking:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My thoughts were always that thinking is the lens through which everything is filtered and put into place, though the brain is where it all starts in the first place :)

damn... I'm confusing me... I need caffeine!

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
i know what you mean actually... I've got ghost thoughts coming in about this, I'm trying to catch them but they're running around and blowing raspberries at me at the moment. It's one of those ENTP moments...

2890445147_f8df88297e.jpg

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
^^^ Actually I take that back.

I have it in abundance for select people.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Passion is essential.

Compassion less so.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Both are important. But I admire compassion a lot more.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
Both are important. But I admire compassion a lot more.

you said you "admire compassion." does that mean you don't consider you have a good deal of compassion in yourself?

do NTs usually hold sarcastic points of view when see/hear people preaching compassion?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
you said you "admire compassion." does that mean you don't consider you have a good deal of compassion in yourself?

do NTs usually hold sarcastic points of view when see/hear people preaching compassion?

I have a good deal of compassion, but it's shielded by a layer of self-defence - in that I care, because I have a duty to do so. True compassion (which I admire) involves being emotionally vulnerable and possibly allowing youself to be taken advantage of. It requires a high level of open-ness, selflessness and emotional honesty that I don't possess.

I don't believe that true compassion can be "preached".

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi
I was raised by an ISFJ. I was not compassionate until my teenage years when it became a necessity for me to continue peaceful relations with my mother. Now, still very much an NT, I have developed a sort of semi-emotional empathy. I can fully understand and relate to people in just about any sort of emotional turmoil, and even lend a caring hand, but I will not necessarily "feel" for the person in question. If I understand correctly, other ENTPs will experience the same phenomenon.

All that to say, I respect compassion, but I don't really like expressing it.

As for passion, I'm an ENTP- where do you think I stand on that issue?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What's living without passion?

What's humanity without compassion?

Both are essential.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I tend to see people who are not passionate as sort of "ineffective". They're people who, to me, lack charisma of any kind, and have no power of persuasion over me or anyone - or anything. For most people to be persuaded by anything, they need to see that the person persuading them believes in it themselves. For this, passion is required.

I don't think NT's generally lack passion. The only two people I can think of who I think lack passion are an ISTJ and an ESFJ. In the case of the ESFJ, it's probably just lacking the appearance of passion, because I know she feels strongly about things - she just hates conflict so much that she won't SHOW passion in disagreement or putting her points across; she doesn't like to cause a scene. With the ISTJ, I don't know if there is any passion in there... I mean, his strongest positive reaction I've ever seen is for him to say something's "not bad", and his strongest negative reaction seems to be just a look of contempt whilst not saying anything.

INTJ can perhaps seem to lack passion, but I know they don't really - they just save it up. They can sure show it when the time's right, when you rile them up enough ;)

That's my thoughts on passion, anyway...

Lack of compassion tends to make someone basically a jerk. Example: kids playgroup, one kid with very poor parents - it's her birthday today. They can't afford to get her a gift or a cake, but they've got a pack of cookies that they've brought in and this kid is trying to get into the spirit by offering cookies to the other kids. But several of the parents instruct their kids not to take a cookie and then one parent confronts the mother and tells her off, reminding her of the group's healthy, organic food policy. She and the non-participating parents think they're being ethical. I think they're being compassionless jerks.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
er.. normal parts of the human condition?

Which we demonstrate as part of our humanity and to build, sustain, and maintain relationships?