• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and narcissism

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
No real narcissist would actually tell anyone they were a narcissist, although they would totally revel in the idea of being one. They also like to claim how they are being victimized by narcissists too, I love that part. You can easily confuse histrionic behavior with narcissistic behavior too. But I do believe the term is thrown around far too much, since it mimics other disorders. But a real narcissist wouldn't get treatment for it. Why? They're fucking awesome just the way they are. INTP's on the other hand, probably have no more or less likelihood of narcissism than any other type. They're introverted, some see that as a mental illness in itself.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
FWIW regarding the question of Fi in the 8th place in the functional lineup of the Ti-dom... it is worth mentioning that there is a significant overlap between big picture logic and morality, since morality seeks to have positive outcomes for the most people. There is a way to be a purely logical moralist.

I did make a graveyard rant thread once after being badly hurt by an INTP that mentioned some of this stuff, but I have to say that these kinds of threads are not productive, especially if presented as credible. It is a bad thing to call a personality category evil by nature. I've been on the receiving end of that and it's really horrible, especially if you are going through a personally difficult time in your life.

Every type can be a narcissist, and each type has it's own special kind of scary.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's interesting that you bring this up, because just the other day a man I know told me that he is not only an INTP, but also a sociopath. Yes, this came up in casual conversation as if we were discussing the weather. I got to thinking about the functions and the Ti-dom definitely made sense to me as many functioning sociopaths are very intelligent and seemingly introverted as they hide themselves from the world in a masked fashion. At first though, I couldn't understand Fe being a function for him at all since he doesn't relate to the feelings of others, but then I juxtaposed that with Fi and it makes total sense because Fi is all about morals and what is right and wrong to an individual. Sociopaths naturally lack a moral compass, so Fi wouldn't even be a thing for them. But Fe on the other hand, even if it is learned would be necessary for a functioning sociopath and is something that they use regularly, albeit in a manipulative and weak fashion, but it is there. I haven't given much thought to Ni vs Ne, but I would have figured Se to be of more importance to a sociopath because of it's likelihood vs Si to seek out thrilling experiences so that throws me off a bit, but it makes sense that he would be perceiving over judging as he likes to live for the moment by his own admission.

Side note: Given my understanding of and fascination with sociopathy, I wasn't frightened in the slightest by him admitting this to me. Rather, it just piqued my curiosities. I'm looking forward to speaking with him more as I think it's a rare opportunity, and I'm in no danger given the situation and the fact that I am not naive to the charm and manipulative nature of such folks.

I mean this with no judgement, only concern, considering I know you are dealing with your problematic ex, but this curiosity with this person who tells you that he's a sociopath?

I really believe people tell you who they are, and even if it's hyperbole, it still says a lot about who he thinks he is. I know you're vulnerable at the moment, and people like that pick up on that stuff. You're your own person, but I would at least think twice about distancing yourself from that type.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I mean this with no judgement, only concern, considering I know you are dealing with your problematic ex, but this curiosity with this person who tells you that he's a sociopath?

I really believe people tell you who they are, and even if it's hyperbole, it still says a lot about who he thinks he is. I know you're vulnerable at the moment, and people like that pick up on that stuff. You're your own person, but I would at least think twice about distancing yourself from that type.

I understand why you would be concerned. I am impenetrable to that sort of thing, to be honest. I just know too much. I am not interested in any sort of "relationship" or friendship with him. In fact, in communicating with a sociopath, I think it is important to almost take on the persona of a sociopath. You must remain distant and detached. Any contact I have with him will serve me a purpose: To learn more about the mind of a sociopath. Until I get sick of it. We are only "friends" on Facebook through one mutual friend.

I did straight up ask him why he told me this and what my "value" is to him, and he said "intellectual conversation."

I cannot be duped, but I do appreciate your concern. I am also in a significantly better place now than I was a mere month ago.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey yall, INFJ here.

Recently was dating an INTP until I realised that he was an narcissist (plus he admitted it). Is this a thing with INTPs? I mean I've heard that INFJs and INTPs are apaz the 'golden match', but INFJs aren't fond of narcissists (at least from my view).

Dippy

Just a thought really, want to see what other INTPs have to say about it

what I have to say: I think you should make a rational case for your position, versus just extrapolating from a specific relationship you've had to an entire group of people. Why would one [MBTI type] being a narcissist have anything to do with another individual of that type being one?

Anyone from any type can be a narcissist. Individuals are individuals. It's more how you abuse your natural preferences or never allow yourself to expand that leads one into the realms of psychological imbalance.

It doesn't help that the natural divide between TP and FJ can lead to people misreading each other, since they violate each other's preferences. TPs can seem arrogant if they are promoting a "rational point" and end up dismissing the feelings of others without any regard for those person's experiences and perceptions. Meanwhile, FJs can come across as judgmental and over-sensitive when they have trouble detaching from the personal.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I understand why you would be concerned. I am impenetrable to that sort of thing, to be honest. I just know too much. I am not interested in any sort of "relationship" or friendship with him. In fact, in communicating with a sociopath, I think it is important to almost take on the persona of a sociopath. You must remain distant and detached. Any contact I have with him will serve me a purpose: To learn more about the mind of a sociopath. Until I get sick of it. We are only "friends" on Facebook through one mutual friend.

I did straight up ask him why he told me this and what my "value" is to him, and he said "intellectual conversation."

I cannot be duped, but I do appreciate your concern. I am also in a significantly better place now than I was a mere month ago.

This is delusional. I have no other word for it. It's even more concerning that you think you can't be duped. You can and someone telling you that they value you for "intellectual conversation" is proof that you are. That's exactly what you want.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Freud talks about a concept called "mastery" where we are drawn to the insolvable problem we encountered in our lives until we master it. I've experienced it myself, but it is dangerous.

If this man is actually sociopath, the only way to be prepared to deal with him is to have a conceal and carry license, a firearm, and exceptionally good aim. You can read my blog if needed (Darkened Dreams) My friend is dealing with an actual sociopath right now who habitually rapes her and beats the shit out of her. The legal and police systems are not putting a stop to it. There is no negotiating with the mindset of a true sociopath. They enjoy the game of sadism. If there isn't an option to end their life, then out of sight out of mind is the only other defense. Fight or flight taken to its pure conclusion is the only way to deal with them. It isn't necessary to understand them because their motivations are already known. There is no usefulness in further discovery unless it involves brain scans done by professionals who can access these people via lockup.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
This is delusional. I have no other word for it. It's even more concerning that you think you can't be duped. You can and someone telling you that they value you for "intellectual conversation" is proof that you are. That's exactly what you want.

Pardon? First of all, you don't know me. Second of all, in order to be duped I would have to be vulnerable in some way. I hardly see how that is possible if I don't expose anything about myself or develop a friendship with him.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being interested in psychology and personality disorders, especially considering I want to go back to school to get a degree in psychology. I will not debate this further with you as we are clearly on different pages as far as knowledge and perspective goes. Also, I didn't ask for opinions on the matter. I'm a big girl and can take care of myself, thanks.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Freud talks about a concept called "mastery" where we are drawn to the insolvable problem we encountered in our lives until we master it. I've experienced it myself, but it is dangerous.

If this man is actually sociopath, the only way to be prepared to deal with him is to have a conceal and carry license, a firearm, and exceptionally good aim. You can read my blog if needed (Darkened Dreams) My friend is dealing with an actual sociopath right now who habitually rapes her and beats the shit out of her. The legal and police systems are not putting a stop to it. There is no negotiating with the mindset of a true sociopath. They enjoy the game of sadism. If there isn't an option to end their life, then out of sight out of mind is the only other defense. Fight or flight taken to its pure conclusion is the only way to deal with them. It isn't necessary to understand them because their motivations are already known. There is no usefulness in further discovery unless it involves brain scans done by professionals who can access these people via lockup.

Having an academic interest in sociopathy is not synonymous with being drawn to a dangerous situation.

I realize this is the Internet, but there is a whole lot of assuming going on here. Assuming that I know nothing about sociopathy. Assuming that I am vulnerable and playing with fire. I am completely detached from this individual and could eliminate him from my life with the click of a button.

To everyone: If you're going to give advice to someone about something, you should make sure that you actually know more about the subject than the other person.

I'm done discussing this as I have no interest in arguing.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Having an academic interest in sociopathy is not synonymous with being drawn to a dangerous situation.

I realize this is the Internet, but there is a whole lot of assuming going on here. Assuming that I know nothing about sociopathy. Assuming that I am vulnerable and playing with fire. I am completely detached from this individual and could eliminate him from my life with the click of a button.

To everyone: If you're going to give advice to someone about something, you should make sure that you actually know more about the subject than the other person.

I'm done discussing this as I have no interest in arguing.
If your connection with him is on Facebook, and he is a real sociopath, then he will have zero trouble finding you if he wants to hurt you.

I think you do know a lot about these types of people, but please know the lives of people I love have been in direct danger from two of these individuals. You need a much more significant line of defense than Facebook. I think you may be in a lot of danger. I am extremely worried about you as are others here.

The man who beats and rapes my friend, her husband, and threatens to rape her children, is her friend on FB because she is afraid he will attack if unfriended. As a result I took down my profile, made up an assumed name with 5 friends, and say that I live in some random location, so I can access some organizational pages because I check in on her of FB. The only defense is to be sure this person never knows I exist. I think you know a lot about sociopaths, but there has to be a disconnect because they are obsessive, violent, and will find you if they want to hurt you. Facebook is almost like opening your front door.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
FWIW regarding the question of Fi in the 8th place in the functional lineup of the Ti-dom... it is worth mentioning that there is a significant overlap between big picture logic and morality, since morality seeks to have positive outcomes for the most people. There is a way to be a purely logical moralist.

I did make a graveyard rant thread once after being badly hurt by an INTP that mentioned some of this stuff, but I have to say that these kinds of threads are not productive, especially if presented as credible. It is a bad thing to call a personality category evil by nature. I've been on the receiving end of that and it's really horrible, especially if you are going through a personally difficult time in your life.

Every type can be a narcissist, and each type has it's own special kind of scary.

Interesting explanation. A study found that there is a moderate correlation between Openness/Intellect and Conscientiousness with moral behaviour, but I couldn't guess why.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
If your connection with him is on Facebook, and he is a real sociopath, then he will have zero trouble finding you if he wants to hurt you.

I think you do know a lot about these types of people, but please know the lives of people I love have been in direct danger from two of these individuals. You need a much more significant line of defense than Facebook. I think you may be in a lot of danger. I am extremely worried about you as are others here.

The man who beats and rapes my friend, her husband, and threatens to rape her children, is her friend on FB because she is afraid he will attack if unfriended. As a result I took down my profile, made up an assumed name with 5 friends, and say that I live in some random location, so I can access some organizational pages because I check in on her of FB. The only defense is to be sure this person never knows I exist. I think you know a lot about sociopaths, but there has to be a disconnect because they are obsessive, violent, and will find you if they want to hurt you. Facebook is almost like opening your front door.

That is one type of sociopath, yes. There are also functioning sociopaths. I do know he used to see a psychologist. That is rare for anyone on the antisocial spectrum. I'm not saying he is altruistic by any means, but an interesting point nonetheless.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx

Sociopaths are a lot more common than people think. Sociopathy/Psychopathy is certainly not synonymous with being some sort of potential serial killer or rapist. It seems like you are overreacting. Or am I missing something here?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sociopaths are a lot more common than people think. Sociopathy/Psychopathy is certainly not synonymous with being some sort of potential serial killer or rapist. It seems like you are overreacting. Or am I missing something here?
You know all of this information and think it is safe for an attractive woman to be getting involved with a self-declared sociopath on Facebook? If yes, then you are definitely missing something.
Profile of the Sociopath

I realize the term is now thrown around in a vernacular manner in which every asshole is a "sociopath", partly due to the research from psychologist James Fallon. By telling an attractive woman you met online that you are a sociopath, it could mean that the person is trying to sound exciting and interesting and they aren't one at all. It could also be a way of testing a person's willingness to go along.

Even high functioning sociopaths often commit atrocity, but they get away with it. They are usually admired and often no one even knows what they have done. If it serves a person to commit harm, they have opportunity, and the cost-benefit comes out in their favor, the lack of conscience means they will go through with it. The only exception is if we are talking about something very different from actual sociopathy and really just mean assholes. If a person has no internal conscience, and only notices social norms for how they can manipulate them, then what is preventing such a person from becoming controlling over the source of their interest? What in a high functioning sociopath would stop him from at least becoming a stalker? What mediates the behavior?

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know all of this information and think it is safe for an attractive woman to be getting involved with a self-declared sociopath on Facebook? If yes, then you are definitely missing something.
Profile of the Sociopath

I realize the term is now thrown around in a vernacular manner in which every asshole is a "sociopath", partly due to the research from psychologist James Fallon. By telling an attractive woman you met online that you are a sociopath, it could mean that the person is trying to sound exciting and interesting and they aren't one at all. It could also be a way of testing a person's willingness to go along.

Sociopaths are known to comprise about 3% of the population. You probably know some yourself, without being aware of it. Avoiding them all is not a practical proposition. Sure, caution is advisable, but there has only been contact on Facebook. What's the big deal?

Even high functioning sociopaths often commit atrocity, but they get away with it. They are usually admired and often no one even knows what they have done. If it serves a person to commit harm, they have opportunity, and the cost-benefit comes out in their favor, the lack of conscience means they will go through with it.

Yes, and people who are not sociopaths are capable of exactly the same thing. To me, it seems that the average person is not all that concerned about things like morality. Does this mean that you should shut yourself off from social contact?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
If he's going to stalk me for some reason, then telling me he is a sociopath would be an odd choice. We have never met irl. We have one mutual friend who happens to be the boss of the sociopath. He could stalk me either way if he wanted to, but why? Just because he is a sociopath doesn't mean he is a stalker, and "normal" people stalk others all the time.

I'm not some vulnerable little daisy who's saying "smell me, touch me, but don't stomp on me." I also am not the only attractive woman he communicates with. He could target anyone he wants to, but why would he target everyone? Or maybe he has little interest in that anyway and gets his thrills elsewhere, i.e. through day to day manipulations and thrilling physical activities.

There is a lot of stereotyping and ignorant conclusions going on in this thread. Just sayin. I don't think the level of understanding here is very deep amongst all of you, which is fine, but perhaps stepping back a little is necessary.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
I cannot be duped, but I do appreciate your concern.

Anyone can be duped. Your own history demonstrates that you're no different. This kind of illusion of invulnerability makes you all the more vulnerable. I am not concerned that you are communicating with a sociopath, but I am concerned that you believe that you cannot be duped.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, absolutely. He is a very weak, insecure little man but lack the awareness of self to realize what is wrong with him, even though I told him, lol. Denial is strong in these types.

I can sympathise, and not to invalidate what you have gone through. But a healthy dose of narcissism is necessary in everybody (we don't want people to walk all over us). Ni-doms are the most gullible type so....

So to paint someone as narcissistic would require the person to be an extreme case. And sure enough, that person's environment and childhood must have led him to be the way he is today.

Compensatory Narcissistic

• seeks to create an illusion of superiority and to build up an image of high self-worth
  • has disturbances in the capacity for empathy
  • strives for recognition and prestige to compensate for the lack of a feeling of self-worth
  • may acquire a deprecatory attitude in which the achievements of others are ridiculed and degraded
  • has persistent aspirations for glory and status
  • has a tendency to exaggerate and boast
  • is sensitive to how others react to him or her, watches and listens carefully for critical judgement, and feels slighted by disapproval
  • is prone to feel shamed and humiliated and especially hyper-anxious and vulnerable to the judgements of others
  • covers up a sense of inadequacy and deficiency with pseudo-arrogance and pseudo-grandiosity
  • has a tendency to periodic hypochondria
  • alternates between feelings of emptiness and deadness and states of excitement and excess energy
  • entertains fantasies of greatness, constantly striving for perfection, genius, or stardom
  • has a history of searching for an idealised partner and has an intense need for affirmation and confirmation in relationships
  • frequently entertains a wishful, exaggerated, and unrealistic concept of himself or herself which he or she can't possibly measure up to
  • produces (too quickly) work not up to the level of his or her abilities because of an overwhelmingly strong need for the immediate gratification of success
  • is touchy, quick to take offence at the slightest provocation, continually anticipating attack and danger, reacting with anger and fantasies of revenge when he or she feels frustrated in his or her need for constant admiration
  • is self-conscious, due to a dependence on approval from others
  • suffers regularly from repetitive oscillations of self-esteem
  • seeks to undo feelings of inadequacy by forcing everyone's attention and admiration upon himself or herself
  • may react with self-contempt and depression to the lack of fulfilment of his or her grandiose expectations
Now for ENFP and being Paranoid

• suspects, without sufficient basis, that others are exploiting, harming, or deceiving him or her
  • is preoccupied with unjustified doubts about the loyalty or trustworthiness of friends or associates
  • is reluctant to confide in others because of unwarranted fear that the information will be used maliciously against him or her
  • reads hidden demeaning or threatening meanings into benign remarks or events
  • persistently bears grudges, i.e., is unforgiving of insults , injuries, or slights perceives attacks on his or her character or reputation that are not apparent to others and is quick to react angrily or to counterattack
  • has recurrent suspicions, without justification, regarding fidelity of spouse or sexual partner
But wait! there is more (cue advert) to ENFP and vigilant, hence them being like Scorpios

• Vigilant-style individuals possess a resilient independence. They keep their own counsel, they require no outside reassurance or advice, they make decisions easily, and they can take care of themselves.
  • They are careful in their dealings with others, preferring to size up a person before entering into a relationship.
  • They are good listeners, with an ear for subtlety, tone, and multiple levels of communication.
  • Individuals with Vigilant style are feisty and do not hesitate to stand up for themselves, especially when they are under attack.
  • They take criticism very seriously, without becoming intimidated.
  • They place a high premium on fidelity and loyalty. They work hard to earn it, and they never take it for granted.

Mirrors my experience when it comes to the ENFP. It's tiring. They seem to be prone to be having 3 children with different partners by the time they are 30 and had them when they were extremely young. Paranoia just means to me, that they keep getting themselves in a mess and then blames others for it.

Did I just judge them?

A reason as to why INTPs can be confused with INTJs because of them being extremely private, but INTJs aren't the Solitary type, that's different. And I know INTPs don't need more nonsense (Narcissism) associated with them. When life is already difficult enough for them.

The most common complaint I get is, I need to read between the lines, but I'm not people focused. So my intuition means nothing when it comes to people. And systems when it comes to the INFJ.

INFJ the Sensitive and Avoidant

• Individuals with the Sensitive personality style prefer the known to the unknown. They are comfortable with, even inspired by, habit, repetition, and routine.
  • Sensitive individuals care deeply about what other people think of them
  • They behave with deliberate discretion in their dealings with others. They do not make hasty judgements or jump in before they know what is appropriate
  • Socially they take care to maintain a courteous, self-restrained demeanour
  • They function best in scripted settings, vocationally and socially: when they know precisely what is expected of them, how they are supposed to relate to others, and what they are expected to say
  • Sensitive men and women are not quick to share their innermost thoughts and feelings with others, even those they know well
  • avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
  • is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked
  • shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed
  • is preoccupied with being criticised or rejected in social situations
  • is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy
  • views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others
  • is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing
So it is easy to see, now, why INFJs and ENFPs are good matches and why statistics backs it up.

ESTPs and Self-Confident

• Self-Confident individuals believe in themselves and in their abilities. They have no doubt that they are unique and special and that there is a reason for their being on this planet
  • They expect others to treat them well at all times
  • Self-Confident people are unabashedly open about their aspirations and possibilities
  • They are able to take advantage of the strengths and abilities of other people in order to achieve their goals, and they are shrewd in their dealings with others
  • They are able competitors, they love getting to the top, and they enjoy staying there
  • They identify with people of high rank and status
  • Self-Confident individuals are able to visualise themselves as the hero, the star, the best in their role, or the most accomplished in their field
  • These individuals have a keen awareness of their thoughts and feelings and their overall inner state of being
  • People with the Self-Confident personality style accept compliments, praise, and admiration gracefully and with self-possession
ESTPs and Narcissistic

• has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
  • is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  • believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
  • requires excessive admiration
  • has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
  • is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
  • lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
  • is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
  • shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
INTJs and Idiosyncratic

• Idiosyncratic individuals are tuned in to and sustained by their own feelings and belief systems, whether or not others accept or understand their particular worldview or approach to life
  • They are self-directed and independent, requiring few close relationships
  • Oblivious to convention, Idiosyncratic individuals create interesting, unusual, often eccentric lifestyles
  • Open to anything, they are interested in the occult, the extrasensory, and the supernatural
  • They are drawn to abstract and speculative thinking
  • Though they are inner-directed and follow their own hearts and minds, Idiosyncratic men and women are keen observers of others, particularly sensitive to how other people react to them
INTJs and Schizotypal

• ideas of reference (excluding delusions of reference)
  • odd beliefs or magical thinking that influences behaviour and is inconsistent with sub cultural norms (e.g., superstitiousness, belief in clairvoyance, telepathy, or "sixth sense"; in children and adolescents, bizarre fantasies or preoccupations)
  • unusual perceptual experiences, including bodily illusions
  • odd thinking and speech (e.g., vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, over elaborate, or stereotyped)
  • suspiciousness or paranoid ideation
  • inappropriate or constricted affect
  • behaviour or appearance that is odd, eccentric, or peculiar
  • lack of close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
  • excessive social anxiety that does not diminish with familiarity and tends to be associated with paranoid fears rather than negative judgements about self