User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Debate = Good?

Default Debate = Good?

Do you enjoy debate? If so why, and what would you liken a good debate to?

.Dysfunction + Suffering. Forever's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

If it leads to nowhere, not really.
    Sun: ♈️ Moon: ♓️ Ascendant: ♒️
    obviously you're going to get nothing from reading this
    Likes Bush Did 9/11, Andy liked this post

Welcome to Fairyland thepink-cloakedninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    XXFX
    Enneagram
    297 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Ooh, I love debates, but only if everyone remains calm and civil! I like to debate many different topics ... Aliens, space travel, time travel, religion, story plots, MBTI, nutrition , health stuff ...
    "I am so storming pure I practically belch rainbows!" - Brandon Sanderson, Words of Radiance

"Words are where most change begins." - Brandon Sanders, Words of Radiance

"Do not let assumptions about a culture block your ability to perceive the individual or you will fail." - Brandon Sanderson, Words of Radiance

"As I fear not a child with a weapon he cannot lift, I will never fear the mind of a man who does not think." - Brandon Sanders, Words of Radiance

2w1, 9w1, 7w6
    Likes Cat Brainz, Zeego liked this post

I like what I call discussion and my idea of discussion seems to align more with what others call debate. People tend to think I am picking fights or trying to debate them when I respond to things they say because I tend to assume any statement or expressed opinion is up for discussion. If you don't want me to challenge it (and I might not challenge it, I might agree with it and tell you why) don't say it. :-)

Yes. If the person I'm debating with isn't stupid or a brickhead.
    aka can think in more perspectives and possibilities than their own.
    And also see in different patterns/what if's etc ect. In other words: if they just can analyse and have some imagination (even at a basic level) = we're good.

Depends a lot on the topic of debate as well. Ofc.
    Likes thepink-cloakedninja liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    826 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

Quote Originally Posted by thepink-cloakedninja View Post
    Ooh, I love debates, but only if everyone remains calm and civil!
    Agreed. The key is civility. I can disagree with someone or believe that their views are biggotted and just plain wrong, but I will enjoy debating them (or seeing them debated) as long as the conversation is intellectually stimulating.

When a debate descends into emotional outburts and personal attacks, I'm done.
    Likes thepink-cloakedninja, Zeego liked this post

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    359 sx/so
    Socionics
    xNTp Ti

Yes! It is fantastic ground to sharpen your mind and test yourself and others. But also to understand others thinking processes.

If they get emotionally reactive I would get amused or annoyed, and tend to point it out and assert the foundation of all my points and watch them all apart. I've been relied on to back others in debates about anime before back in the day, as well as religion and backed someone in a corner resulting in insults ... but nowadays I don't humor debates much anymore. I just assert, and leave mainly if they don't understand. Rather than dragging it on too long.
    "A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death." - Lelouch Vi Britannia

Alignment: True Neutral/Chaotic Neutral (Rational Neutral - Rebel Neutral)
    Likes thepink-cloakedninja liked this post

I wonder................. Cat Brainz's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    793 sp/so

I love debate when one of two things happen.

1. We get to have fun exploring new perspectives together and may even discover a new idea or concept by combining the ideas that we never thought of before.

2. I can troll them basically .
    7w8 9w1 3w2

you are brain in a jar in a cheshire cat wearing wonka's hat - Gentleman Jack
    Likes thepink-cloakedninja, Jonneh, Krim13 liked this post

Welcome to Fairyland thepink-cloakedninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    XXFX
    Enneagram
    297 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Krim13 View Post
    Yes! It is fantastic ground to sharpen your mind and test yourself and others. But also to understand others thinking processes.

If they get emotionally reactive I would get amused or annoyed, and tend to point it out and assert the foundation of all my points and watch them all apart. I've been relied on to back others in debates about anime before back in the day, as well as religion and backed someone in a corner resulting in insults ... but nowadays I don't humor debates much anymore. I just assert, and leave mainly if they don't understand. Rather than dragging it on too long.
    Haha I do the opposite! If someone gets upset I'll start arguing from THEIR side to make them feel better/dig them out of their hole.
    "I am so storming pure I practically belch rainbows!" - Brandon Sanderson, Words of Radiance

"Words are where most change begins." - Brandon Sanders, Words of Radiance

"Do not let assumptions about a culture block your ability to perceive the individual or you will fail." - Brandon Sanderson, Words of Radiance

"As I fear not a child with a weapon he cannot lift, I will never fear the mind of a man who does not think." - Brandon Sanders, Words of Radiance

2w1, 9w1, 7w6

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    359 sx/so
    Socionics
    xNTp Ti

Quote Originally Posted by thepink-cloakedninja View Post
    Haha I do the opposite! If someone gets upset I'll start arguing from THEIR side to make them feel better/dig them out of their hole.
    I couldn't. I have an overwhelming urge to speak my mind about anything of interest, whether that be a debate, picking out flaws in a series, issues in relationships, assuming it isn't very disadvantageous to do so or won't disrupt harmony too much. If it's too disruptive and won't produce good relational results I will hold back to keep the peace but begrudgingly so.

I'll admit I have a mild troll in me that loves to occasionally jab, but it seems the 9 suppresses it.

So when they get pushed too far back and start to get hostile you befriend them? I'd love to hear how that works.
    "A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death." - Lelouch Vi Britannia

Alignment: True Neutral/Chaotic Neutral (Rational Neutral - Rebel Neutral)