User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Default Do INTXs have trouble putting thoughts into words?

Actually, somewhat on that note, I'm curious: do INTPs tend to have difficulty putting their thoughts into words? ENTPs seem to have nooooooo problem with this, but I've been chalking it up to the E more than anything else. Now I'm curious - is it in fact that Ti lends itself to expressing complex concepts more readily? I'm pretty sure other INTJs will back me up on this, but putting our thoughts into words is really, really difficult. I often feel like I've learned to speak Human as a second language.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 06-21-2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Clarified thread title, based on direction of posts

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Actually, somewhat on that note, I'm curious: do INTPs tend to have difficulty putting their thoughts into words? ENTPs seem to have nooooooo problem with this, but I've been chalking it up to the E more than anything else. Now I'm curious - is it in fact that Ti lends itself to expressing complex concepts more readily? I'm pretty sure other INTJs will back me up on this, but putting our thoughts into words is really, really difficult. I often feel like I've learned to speak Human as a second language.

I guess I'm changing the subject entirely though.
    Oh it's my third language and I'm using a program to translate the words

My problem, personally, is never putting my thoughts down in words it's more the other end with all those expressions of . I should get a camera and start collecting
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

Putting my thoughts into words which express my exact intent can be difficult. I know what I mean to say, getting it out coherently is another matter. Especially when dealing with my SJ husband.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have a lot of trouble talking out loud, at least in feeling I'm coherent.

If it is something I have thought about a great deal, I can sound very articulate. But often, especially in "personal" discussions, I'm thinking and exploring as I go, and it's very hard to find the exact words I want to use -- it's more like sketching, where I start by speaking very very generally, then slowly hone in as I go, dropping the false turns and clarifying the parts that are right.

But I hear how bad I sound sometimes (bad = VAGUE, very vague!) and so do others, and they've learned to be patient with me and give me some more talking time so I can figure out what I want to convey.

I notice that when I talk to or write to ENTPs, they tend to bowl me over. Very wordy... and go on and on, they've got words galore. I tend to be more precise, or at least pick over my words a lot more (especially when writing). It's sort of amusing, in a good-natured way -- I laugh to myself sometimes when I get their letters, they just ... talk and talk! No shortage of words.

A last point: When I do get honed in on an idea (or as I hone the idea), words MATTER. Maybe I am sketching at first, but at some point I choose certain words because they capture the nuance of what I mean. I'm being very careful. And I've been highly annoyed or frustrated when someone either responds to me without considering the nuances (and sometimes even changing the words, without realizing they've now changed my meaning) or doesn't realize how very very purposefully precise I was being.

The need for precision is another reason I struggle over words.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    type

Verbally? Sometimes more so. Unless I am consciously assuming a role.

In writing? Sometimes less so. I think in words a lot of the time.

I tend to lose phrases and exact words and end up groping around for them, but experience has improved my ability to cover flubs. Also, I've adopted a Columbo-esque speaking method.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Now I'm curious - is it in fact that Ti lends itself to expressing complex concepts more readily? I'm pretty sure other INTJs will back me up on this, but putting our thoughts into words is really, really difficult. I often feel like I've learned to speak Human as a second language.
    Do you have more troubles in written or verbal communication?
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes...and I can't think of how to say the rest of it.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

INTJs have trouble putting thoughts into words -- at least I do.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

The oddest thing that happens to me is when I write in order, check the order, check the content, recheck the order then the first person to read it goes

Makes me wish I were a postal worker
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    INTJs have trouble putting thoughts into words -- at least I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft
    I'm pretty sure other INTJs will back me up on this, but putting our thoughts into words is really, really difficult. I often feel like I've learned to speak Human as a second language.
    Yes, me, too. That was the reason for my initial contribution to this thread; reading Mycroft's comment on INTJs having a similar problem.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.