User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

I think I'm pretty good at putting my thoughts into words. If I'm having trouble doing it, it's because the thought was incomplete anyway, and needs more development.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    iNtJ

Thoughts about emotions, yes, and occasionally abstract ideas make sense in my head and then I try to articulate them and go "Wait, this isn't working." If I take a bit of time to think about how to articulate an idea, it works. I agree with what INTJMom said about restating things in different ways to make sure I was understood.

Banned

Oral verbal communication is often very painful for me. I have very little trouble getting my meaning across on paper. When I write I can see exactly where something isn't clear or consistent. Once I start talking, however, all bets are off. Sometimes, I'll actually hear myself speaking and think "what the hell just came out of my mouth?" The only time I'm able to clearly articulate what I'm thinking, out loud, is when I'm extremely annoyed. I suspect that has something to do with having a focused target. Generally there are a lot of different thoughts bouncing around in my head sort of loosely so when I'm content things sometimes get tangled up on the way to my mouth. When I'm agitated, I can clearly identify the source of my irritation. It's almost as if that thought just pushes its way to the front of the line. Sometimes what comes out in those cases isn't as couched as carefully as it should be, but perhaps that's where the clarity comes from. When I'm being careful things can get a bit muddy.

MBTI
    xNTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

I can definitely relate to the various revelations in this thread. The ineffability of thought usually only occurs if I "think about my thoughts" for too long before I say what I need to. Whenever this happens I find myself caught in the crosshairs of a need for tact & a desire to be understood. By the time I figure out exactly how to accomplish that, the opportunity has passed without me saying anything. To solve this I just decided to streamline my thoughts directly to one interlocutor and zone out those nagging thoughts of being misunderstood by all the other listeners. Most people aren't mind readers and those possibilities of misunderstanding only exist in our minds. IMO, I believe some of us may be misunderstanding ourselves more than other people ever do.
    Don't bother trying to prove them wrong...prove yourself, right.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I think i desperately used to have problems with this, but "outgrew" it as far as I recall things. part of it was related to a confidence/ego boost. I always had very high verbal comprehension as young as 7, but I often couldn't explain my thoughts or what I "saw".

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I can put my thoughts into words, that's not the problem. My thoughts are the problem, and they usually have nothing to do with what's going on around me, so it's difficult to relay them to other people.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

My mind likes to go off in tangents while I think. One thing jumps to another and it doesn't help when you try to explain something in words. I get garbled and end up not sticking with the point, this reflects a lot (maybe even more so) in my writing. For some reason I had no difficulties typing this... I'm going to have to check that out.