User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    INTJs have trouble putting thoughts into words -- at least I do.
    YEAH I totally relate here.

The excerpt from Portrait of an INTJ really hit me when I first read it.
    It is not easy for the INTJ to express their internal images, insights, and abstractions. The internal form of the INTJ's thoughts and concepts is highly individualized, and is not readily translatable into a form that others will understand. However, the INTJ is driven to translate their ideas into a plan or system that is usually readily explainable, rather than to do a direct translation of their thoughts. They usually don't see the value of a direct transaction, and will also have difficulty expressing their ideas, which are non-linear.
    My INTP female friend is golden with expressing herself when people stop talking and just listen to her.

I really feel like I have so many amusing smartass one-liners from linking ideas/situations/thoughts in my head that I just can't "translate" into words in time to spit them out for "witty repartee" to make sense. (I also tend to mumble, which makes it worse.)

But I find that typing is the place for me. It's like the "optimal speed" for my brain to translate my ideas and get them down so I can move on to the next idea.

Speaking is difficult (I have to go slowly if it's a real deep thought) and handwriting takes too much time; my brain moves faster and I lose things. But typing is where I find the happy medium. (at roughly 60 wpm)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I really feel like I have so many amusing smartass one-liners from linking ideas/situations/thoughts in my head that I just can't "translate" into words in time to spit them out for "witty repartee" to make sense.

handwriting takes too much time; my brain moves faster and I lose things. But typing is where I find the happy medium. (at roughly 60 wpm)
    Do you have "Doctor" handwriting, too, Usehername?

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

nah. it's not too bad, but it's not calligraphy calibre either.

it's really just the speed. i'm a fast typer; handwriting takes too long. it's my rate-determining step, to reference chemistry.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

My handwriting is actually very neat and legible -- some people think it came out of a computer. I'm really good at designing logos, too.

Though I am left-handed, and theoretically, lefties are often said to have better penmanship for some reason.

MBTI
    INTP

I've rarely had problems putting my thoughts into words ... particularly the written word.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    I've rarely had problems putting my thoughts into words ... particularly the written word.
    I'm, of course, better with the written word. But my writing is often very wordy, I think. I remember writing movie reviews for the school newspaper back in high school, and while everyone said my reviews were really well-written and unbiased, they were sometimes wordy.

EDIT: I also did reviews for video games at Gamespot.com, and they elected me to the prestigious honor of joining the little online video game-reviewing club.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'm, of course, better with the written word. But my writing is often very wordy, I think. I remember writing movie reviews for the school newspaper back in high school, and while everyone said my reviews were really well-written and unbiased, they were sometimes wordy.
    Every writer (not non-writer, but WRITER) often struggles with wordiness. Learning to effectively get your point across in the shortest amount of words possible is a hard-won skill.

Being in a position where one has to write steadily and be edited by someone else for clarity and space (such as for a magazine or newspaper) is very good experience, because it teaches you how to condense your thoughts down to the core.

My best friend worked on a small-town newspaper for a number of years, and it was interesting when we tried to collaborate; I was the "musical artistic" one, so I was usually wordier, needing room to set up a rhythm to the prose... and he was the article writer, so his contributions would all be condensed, to the point, and very direct.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Actually, somewhat on that note, I'm curious: do INTPs tend to have difficulty putting their thoughts into words? ENTPs seem to have nooooooo problem with this, but I've been chalking it up to the E more than anything else. Now I'm curious - is it in fact that Ti lends itself to expressing complex concepts more readily? I'm pretty sure other INTJs will back me up on this, but putting our thoughts into words is really, really difficult. I often feel like I've learned to speak Human as a second language.
    I read about an ENTP writer who could dictate an original and logically well constructed detective novel to his secretary in a day.
    The ENTP has got the NP function (Ne) unhindered.
    Alas the INTP has the critical function Ti above the Ne.

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, I have a lot of trouble verbalising my thoughts. I have a lot of intuitive leaps and often I can't articulate the steps of how I got somewhere - it's like my brain rapidly connects the dots but subconciously and it can take me days to articulate the steps. I tend to be the 'pointer-outer of potential problems' at work, but I quite often can't verbalise why something might be a problem. Luckily I have a few colleagues who are happy to trust my instincts even if I can't explain myself .

I'm a lot better at expressing myself in writing.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP

No.