• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] It's so hard to me as a NT to live in the majority S world

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Perhaps I am being narrow-minded, but I do think that some types tend to struggle more. How can one know? Being on a forum such as this does help with perspective though.

They may on average struggle more with certain things, but overall type is not what creates the greatest struggles. Abuse, traumatic experiences, death of a loved one, and other horrible life events is what makes life more difficult for someone, not their type.

I guess you can't truly know, but these types are a way of thinking, and that alone does not make life more difficult.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
You do? I actually find that to be the most important one. Perhaps it's because that is the one that is highest of all my functions. I have tested anywhere between 75-100% intuitive. My "F" and "J" are much closer to 50-60%, and I am about 2/3 introvert.

Are you sorta half and half sensor and intuitive? Cuz that could certainly explain your perspective.

I think that everyone is about %50/50. S informs N. We just "Know things" based on past experience.

I'm going to use the same example I've given twice before -that was completely ignored both times.

I was outside at night and heard rustling in the bushes and thought "rabbit."

My intuition-because I didn't have to think about it- told me that based on past experience. I heard something that sounded small. I saw a small bush move.
No matter how intuitive a person is, they aren't going to hear or see a small rustling noise in the bushes in WA state and think " Girraffe."

Mainly, I think about the way in which I -and to an extent-everyone does things.

I'm a great cook. I never use recipes. I don't measure because I just know what I am doing. But if I cook something that tastes bad I don't decide " Well, my gut told me this is how to make it so it's fine."

If you buy milk before it's date code but it looks and feels chunky, and tastes like cottage cheese, you don't keep drinking because "Eh, I can't think of any reason for it to have soured."

If I'm making a clay pot-which again, don't ask me how I do anything, I couldn't break it down for you. "I just do."- using the same technique I always do, and it looks uneven, if I take a ruler and see that one end is two-inches higher than the other I don't decide that it must be straight because " I always do it this way and it works fine."

Even "gut feelings" do not come from nowhere. They are informed by what we have learned from past experiences ( like the rabbit).

Of course I could be missing something about the exact meaning ( though I am fairly certain that the " Whole I don't know how I do things I just do because I know how" is a pretty intuitive thing.

Although just the just the other day my husband was explaining that I need to let go of the term " Intuitive" but that's a horrible descriptive word for..whatever it is. TBH, I think " Sensing" is also terrible. No one completely ignores thier senses.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I think that everyone is about %50/50. S informs N. We just "Know things" based on past experience.

I'm going to use the same example I've given twice before -that was completely ignored both times.

My intuition-because I didn't have to think about it- told me that based on past experience. I heard something that sounded small. I saw a small bush move.
No matter how intuitive a person is, they aren't going to hear or see a small rustling noise in the bushes in WA state and think " Girraffe."

Mainly, I think about the way in which I -and to an extent-everyone does things.

I'm a great cook. I never use recipes. I don't measure because I just know what I am doing. But if I cook something that tastes bad I don't decide " Well, my gut told me this is how to make it so it's fine."

If you buy milk before it's date code but it looks and feels chunky, and tastes like cottage cheese, you don't keep drinking because "Eh, I can't think of any reason for it to have soured."

If I'm making a clay pot-which again, don't ask me how I do anything, I couldn't break it down for you. "I just do."- using the same technique I always do, and it looks uneven, if I take a ruler and see that one end is two-inches higher than the other I don't decide that it must be straight because " I always do it this way and it works fine."

Even "gut feelings" do not come from nowhere. They are informed by what we have learned from past experiences ( like the rabbit).

Of course I could be missing something about the exact meaning ( though I am fairly certain that the " Whole I don't know how I do things I just do because I know how" is a pretty intuitive thing.

Although just the just the other day my husband was explaining that I need to let go of the term " Intuitive" but that's a horrible descriptive word for..whatever it is. TBH, I think " Sensing" is also terrible. No one completely ignores thier senses.

I think most of your examples are still sensor examples.

Intuition would be like the time I suddenly, without explanation, just knew that a good friend of mine was going to be in a car accident. Imagine seeing an actual car accident and how your body might react. Your stomach would probably drop and you would instantly know it was a car accident. Now, imagine both of those things happening, without any sort of visual or reason to think these things, just a sense of "friend in a car accident." I shrugged it off at the time but a couple days later found out he got into a car accident. I have no idea or explanation for how I knew. I have also felt intense energies from people, just knowing that they are trouble or child abusers or liars or whatever it may be, and I have no explanation for this.

Now, these are pretty extreme examples, but what I'm saying is that intuition is much less tangible and hard to explain than sensing and almost involves a 6th sense. It is an abstract connecting of dots that forms maps and patterns and such, but is also sometimes completely impossible to define.

Enneagram
9w1
What I originally thought was the Intuition and Sensor line which separated me from the sensors was actually just me dissociating from my emotions and sense of self and memories, as well as disconnecting myself from the world... now it seems like sensors and intuition alike are not that different, just me. To me the sensor difference was mostly just a matter of them being more alive and involved and more based on memories and what is happening around them... but then I see intuitive people who are also just as able to be alive and involved as sensing people.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream

Past experiences is pretty much the definition of Si and making things based on motor movements due to past experiences (weighing something by feel) is literally Si gone specific ;)

All of that being said, the following has nothing to do with either of you. Just a general observation. For a group that wishes so badly to be understood, this group has so much stereotypes and lack of understanding of the other type.

I should have it easy, but I don't. In some academic, work, social settings, having Ne is more beneficial than Si. Yet I'm pretty sure I could get typed as INTJ or INTP if I truly didn't give a shit about what I was, because of the stereotypes associated with being "intuitive". That's all I have to say about this.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps I am being narrow-minded, but I do think that some types tend to struggle more. How can one know? Being on a forum such as this does help with perspective though.

I'm going to echo Smilphantomhive and say that life circumstances probably contribute more to one's struggle than MBTI type. For an example, one of the groups in America that struggles the most is African American lesbian women, largely because of discrimination.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I think most of your examples are still sensor examples.

Intuition would be like the time I suddenly, without explanation, just knew that a good friend of mine was going to be in a car accident. Imagine seeing an actual car accident and how your body might react. Your stomach would probably drop and you would instantly know it was a car accident. Now, imagine both of those things happening, without any sort of visual or reason to think these things, just a sense of "friend in a car accident." I shrugged it off at the time but a couple days later found out he got into a car accident. I have no idea or explanation for how I knew. I have also felt intense energies from people, just knowing that they are trouble or child abusers or liars or whatever it may be, and I have no explanation for this.

Now, these are pretty extreme examples, but what I'm saying is that intuition is much less tangible and hard to explain than sensing and almost involves a 6th sense. It is an abstract connecting of dots that forms maps and patterns and such, but is also sometimes completely impossible to define.

Sure, I get those random, inexplicable bouts of epiphany more often than most -to the point that is quite uncanny - but that still is not often enough for it to be considered a type. I don't base my every decision on it. The vast majority of people are not psychic and still make decisions everyday based on what is going on around them.

I guess I would say that I understand the concept, I just don't really see how it js opposite of sensing. A " sixth sense" is just that; an extra sense. So I would say...all people are sensers, but some are more inclined to epiphany more than others-more than others- not more than they use thier five senses. That's kind of absurd.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Sure, I get those random, inexplicable bouts of epiphany more often than most -to the point that is quite uncanny - but that still is not often enough for it to be considered a type. I don't base my every decision on it. The vast majority of people are not psychic and still make decisions everyday based on what is going on around them.

I guess I would say that I understand the concept, I just don't really see how it js opposite of sensing. A " sixth sense" is just that; an extra sense. So I would say...all people are sensers, but some are more inclined to epiphany more than others-more than others- not more than they use thier five senses. That's kind of absurd.

Although I understand what you are saying, I guess we are just on different wavelengths. I am mostly oblivious to what is going on around me. It can take a bit of effort to actually pay attention to my senses at time, particularly sight and sound. My way of interpreting the world around me is not so much based on concrete details and events, but reading between them to form patterns and theories which I work to either prove true or evolve. For me, my focus of interest is human behavior, so I am always trying to determine why people do what they do, how they turn out the way they are, what they are likely to do, and what can I do for them in a tailored way.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
You only need an energy to do that. For me, it takes energy to be a sensor. It takes effort. If i don't make an effort then i will only feel misunderstood