• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Top Three Reasons For Why INTs Suck

silverlining

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Just a question to all you NT's. I see that many of you are proud individuals who can easily detach emotion when making decisions. You do not really care if people like you or your decisions.

My questions:

1) You're human. So you do have emotions. Do you feel you need to consciously surpress them, or is the surpressing 'natural' and is it going automatically?

2) Are emotions a nuisance to you? Why?

My type's (ENFJ) weak points are that every action we take we do for the benefit of others, cancelling our own needs out of the equation. That's probably the opposite as what the NT's naturally do. For us: if others are happy, we are happy. We are focused on not to offend anyone (unless the group benefits), we hate conflict (unless the group benefits, etc.) and we like status quo.

So I'm just curious to NT's natural abilities and their rationale, they're way of coping or showing them, so I can perhaps get new insights on improving my own weak points.

People might find some of your character traits suck, but understanding them might turn out to be useful for me. ;)

I feel like my emotions are a huge pitfall to my personality. Almost like I'm not entitled to feel them. When I realize that I really value another person's presence in my life or I feel that I need them I get very annoyed with myself. My natural instinct is to be totally independent, not let anyone help me, and to stifle all emotional responses to situations that normally necessitate emotion. Also, I tend to get extremely awkward and irritated around emotionally vulnerable people. Opening up makes me feel like I'm imposing on others and I get sort of tense after doing so. I feel guilty and embarrassed.

Oddly. Those few people in my life that I value greatly, I would do anything for. Sell my car to bail them out of a bad way financially, listen to them at any point in time that they could ever need an ear even if they're displaying a lot of emotion, and I like to buy them gifts to make them happy and make them things to let them know I'm thinking of them. It's a strange thing. I'm either totally and completely disinterested in your existence and the effect that I have on it, or I love you so much that I view your well-being as more important than mine.

I hope that helps a little! I see you're fairly new to posting. Welcome! I hope you enjoy it.

Tikka

MBTI Type
INFJ
I feel like my emotions are a huge pitfall to my personality. Almost like I'm not entitled to feel them. When I realize that I really value another person's presence in my life or I feel that I need them I get very annoyed with myself. My natural instinct is to be totally independent, not let anyone help me, and to stifle all emotional responses to situations that normally necessitate emotion. Also, I tend to get extremely awkward and irritated around emotionally vulnerable people. Opening up makes me feel like I'm imposing on others and I get sort of tense after doing so. I feel guilty and embarrassed.

Oddly. Those few people in my life that I value greatly, I would do anything for. Sell my car to bail them out of a bad way financially, listen to them at any point in time that they could ever need an ear even if they're displaying a lot of emotion, and I like to buy them gifts to make them happy and make them things to let them know I'm thinking of them. It's a strange thing. I'm either totally and completely disinterested in your existence and the effect that I have on it, or I love you so much that I view your well-being as more important than mine.

I hope that helps a little! I see you're fairly new to posting. Welcome! I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for your answer. :)

As for your first sentence: my first reaction would be that your emotions are a necessary part of your personality, so how can it be a pitfall? :cheese:

But I understand you see emotions as a some sort of 'primal' way of dealing with people and that you prefer to use your thinking, your rationale for a more sophisticated, calculated approach, is that right?

Actually, I should start a new thread, as my current questions actually admire the traits of (I)NTs that 'suck', because I lack them by default. :doh: :blush: I used to be more like this before university. Somehow at uni I became a mushy F type.

colourscientist

welcome :)

1) You're human. So you do have emotions. Do you feel you need to consciously surpress them, or is the surpressing 'natural' and is it going automatically?

For us: if others are happy, we are happy. We are focused on not to offend anyone (unless the group benefits), we hate conflict (unless the group benefits, etc.) and we like status quo.

now, for Ti:

Introverted Thinking
Hero: (Ti) Intellectual clarity
Anima/Animus: (Fe) "As much as I want harmony with others, at times I need to make a tough decision."

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
lol what downsides?

As an INTP female, I can come off as aloof, super innocent, patronizing, cold, shy, "realllly nice," or just weird, which I'm NOT (ok, maybe I'm weird :p). People have the uneasy feeling that they're not getting the full picture with me, because I look girly but don't act it. I've also been told by very intelligent people that it's like I'm 'thinking on a different level' when I'm pretty sure they are as smart or smarter than me, so I'm basically isolated from the people I want to connect to.

Feeling like I'm not accomplishing anything.

And it's very hard to find a good partner who can be okay with my silence and not mistrust it. Someone who isn't afraid to just play around with me too :)

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6

I have emotions I just dont allow them to influence my actions very much, occasionaly Ill find myself on my man period or somthing and Ill have to take a second to calm down and think about things before I act. Usualy I end up rationalizeing my emotions away if that makes any sense, "GRRRR ____ IS SUCH A JERK IM GOING TO DO _________ AND RUIN HE/SHE/ITS LIFE!!!!!" turns into "Now Im shure _____ had a reason for what they did and he/she/it wasnt trying to inconveince you. The better course of action would be to find a solution to the problems _____ caused(wether they were intentional or not) rather than waste your time with a petty power struggle."

2) Are emotions a nuisance to you? Why?
Well yes and no. I like the good ones but hate the bad ones :)

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
1. Superiority complex or inferiority complex depending on p/j
2. Very tough to find a girl dumb enough to buy your self image if you're a guy. Very tough to find a guy smart enough to respect if you're a girl.
3. No matter how hard you try to stop them people will treat you with what you consider to be disrespect.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Superiority complex or inferiority complex depending on p/j
2. Very tough to find a girl dumb enough to buy your self image if you're a guy. Very tough to find a guy smart enough to respect if you're a girl.
3. No matter how hard you try to stop them people will treat you with what you consider to be disrespect.
Just wanted to point out that the latter is the only complex that exists.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol, okay -- point taken then, now that I understand that. :)

Good point as well. Although sometimes people are as hard-headed as they accuse us of being -- "You WILL listen to me, and you WILL sympathize, and you WILL help me feel better... just because I want you to!"

The only conflict is with people who you're related to... who thus attach empathy requirements to the relationship (spouse, kid, parent, whatnot). Those ones are hard to weasel out of: "You married me, so you're supposed to care!"

EDIT:

"Pityme! pityme!" is not a charateristic of all Fs.
I only know about NFs, and we don't particularly want anyone to pity us.
We only vent to loved ones when we feel we are out of options. Like NTs, we explore all of our possibilities, too, and when we feel there are no solutions to a problem/issue/concern we get frustrated!
Plus, I wouldn't want to talk to anyone anyway who didn't want to listen to me. I'd rather talk to myself.

Last edited:

ilovetrannies

MBTI Type
ISFP
"Pityme! pityme!" is not a charateristic of all Fs. Only SFs.
As far as I'm concerned, NFs don't particularly want anyone to pity them.
Well, maybe ENFs (I don't know any personally) but definitely not INFs.
We only vent to loved ones when we feel we are out of options. Like NTs, we explore all of our possibilities, too, and when we feel there are no solutions to a problem/issue/concern we get frustrated!
Just remember: Feeling Sensors just like pity parties sometimes. :rolli:
Plus, I wouldn't want to talk to anyone anyway who didn't want to listen to me. I'd rather talk to myself.

Only SFs. Ok, we are all individuals and to generalize SFs is simply not true and illogical. I vent to loved ones because they know that I have to talk about what is bothering me before I start to freak out. They are very understanding that way. I am not asking for any fucking pity, I just need someone to listen and tell me that everything will be ok, even tho I know it will be.

Sometimes I have to speak to people who I dislike but I will try to treat with respect as long as I can without strangling the motherfucker.

And to generalize SFs is rather rude and ignorant.:steam:

Goatman455

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Give your top three reasons for why it does, or would, suck to be an INT.

My three reasons:

1/ There aren't enough of us. Hence, the feeling of "not fitting in" or "being an outcast" carries a heavy burden through our entire lives.

2/ Over-thinking and under-doing is a major source of conflict.

3/ Our genius is severely underrated by the society at large.

(I'm glad I limited myself. I could probably come up with a thousand reasons if I thought about it long enough. I guess this is an example of reason #2.)

Well, I feel like that two (except on number 3 I want to substitute "genius" for "strengths". I want you to know that all the INTs I have met I:

1) Respected greatly
2) Saw their Genius
3) Found them HILARIOUS when they chose to tell jokes
4) Got jealous of their clear thinking ability

I think underdoing is a problem with many Ns in general (even NJs who are very active, you find SJs are even more active) N causes you to muse more and this can intrude upon action.

Don't worry there are people out their who respect you. In fact despite being a minority I bet there are an uneven number of INTs who rise into great positions in society because of this minority aspect.

In conclusion: "It SO doesn't suck to be an INT".
I gave you 4 reasons that beats your 3? Right? Help me here Ts, right, right...never mind.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Pityme! pityme!" is not a charateristic of all Fs. Only SFs.

Wow, way to necro-quote me... that post I made was 2 years old!

Just for context, now that I have gone back and re-read it and Mycroft's post, I don't think I was talking about F's, I was talking about people in general.

Nor was I thinking "Pity me" when I wrote that.

Some people legitimately feel like they need a lot of emotional affirmation. That's how they think. Some other sorts are the opposite and they just deal with the pragmatic issues and don't care a flip about the attached emotions.

Other people have some sort of legitimate relationship that has some emotional responses/behaviors attached to it by the social convention of the day. (e.g., "you are my wife or husband, therefore I expect <this, this, and this> from you!") So there again, there will be emotional demands placed on people regardless of their personal inclinations.

As far as I'm concerned, NFs don't particularly want anyone to pity them. Well, maybe ENFs (I don't know any personally) but definitely not INFs.

I'm not sure why you took this as an indictment of NFs, but I'm sorry if I said something that made it come across like that.

Plus, I wouldn't want to talk to anyone anyway who didn't want
to listen to me. I'd rather talk to myself.

Well, yeah, definitely. :)

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Only SFs. Ok, we are all individuals and to generalize SFs is simply not true and illogical. I vent to loved ones because they know that I have to talk about what is bothering me before I start to freak out. They are very understanding that way. I am not asking for any fucking pity, I just need someone to listen and tell me that everything will be ok, even tho I know it will be.

Sometimes I have to speak to people who I dislike but I will try to treat with respect as long as I can without strangling the motherfucker.

And to generalize SFs is rather rude and ignorant.:steam:

I really didn't mean to generalize SFs or point the finger of blame at SFs. That's not fair. Sorry :blush:. I was kind of worked up by the scapegoating already happening in this thread and accidentally directed my venom in the wrong direction. It happens. It also wasn't my intention to appear "rude and ignorant" because I am neither of those things. My mom and grandmother are SFPs, and I don't think they're whiny or want people to pity them. My post was written purely out of frustration. I'll edit it, so you don't have to strangle a "motherfucker" and so my words will actually express what I mean to say/should have said then.

Agreed?

*Btw, I'm not really sure why you included the "sometimes I have to talk to people I dislike" part because, frankly, you don't know me enough/at all to know whether you would or would not like me. However, if you really want to base my entire identity on one post (online!), be my guest, but then you'd ultimately turn into the rude and ignorant one here now, wouldn't you?

Sorry again about the post. Really :(.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wow, way to necro-quote me... that post I made was 2 years old!

Just for context, now that I have gone back and re-read it and Mycroft's post, I don't think I was talking about F's, I was talking about people in general.

Nor was I thinking "Pity me" when I wrote that.

Some people legitimately feel like they need a lot of emotional affirmation. That's how they think. Some other sorts are the opposite and they just deal with the pragmatic issues and don't care a flip about the attached emotions.

Other people have some sort of legitimate relationship that has some emotional responses/behaviors attached to it by the social convention of the day. (e.g., "you are my wife or husband, therefore I expect <this, this, and this> from you!") So there again, there will be emotional demands placed on people regardless of their personal inclinations.

I'm not sure why you took this as an indictment of NFs, but I'm sorry if I said something that made it come across like that.

Well, yeah, definitely. :)

Well, since I'm practicing my apology skills, I think I owe you an apology, too, Jennifer. I don't ever check the date of the post (bad me), and I was being overly sensitive about the matter. I don't really know why I went into defense mode, but it would seem I attacked everyone on this thread that day :shock:!

Sad Face.

Last edited:

purplehuman

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Give your top three reasons for why it does, or would, suck to be an INT.

My three reasons:

1/ There aren't enough of us. Hence, the feeling of "not fitting in" or "being an outcast" carries a heavy burden through our entire lives.

2/ Over-thinking and under-doing is a major source of conflict.

3/ Our genius is severely underrated by the society at large.

#2 is definitely a major problem. It's as if my own brain's against me.

krunchtime

*Warning Over-dramatization* ~I get the feeling this thread is a set-up :) let me help~
3 reasons INTXs suck:
1. I'm so logical it hurts. I must be as complicated as possible when communicating to make sure no one knows whether I am right or wrong unless they are willing to break out a dictionary. Don't worry ;) you could never be as smart as me anyway!
2. I'm totally and completely misunderstood *sniffle*. I cannot however do anything to change that as it will infringe upon my autonomy!! Who needs other people anyway? It's so illogical to want friends.
3. I'm sorry but no, I cannot take your feelings into consideration before I speak.
Feelings are bad news avoid them at all costs!!! Lucky for me I don't have any!!!

God, that is so freaking funny

General inertia
Impracticality in a situation which requires me to do something
Practicality in a situation which requires me to agree/ empathise
Always warring within myself
Questioning whatever I come into contact with
Trying to take sides

I've probably mutated to a mixed type though lol

Skyline

That's very INTP, not very NTJ and not as ENTP.

The form of arrogance comes in different ways. One is to assert the certainty of one's superiority, often through dismissal of another's ideas. Another is to assert the absolute value our methodology - for example, Bluewings unwillingness to look at something any other way than 'logic'.

The INT nature is to be passive aggressive in terms of arrogance, comapred to ENTs. It does come out when interacting but is rarely pro-actively overbearing.

This post contains hidden irony. Can you see it?

This one too, I assume? :D

After reading the discussion which lead to these words above, (in beginning of thread)
I've been thinking about the notion of arrogance
and wondered wether it can simply equate to preference.

Just as NT's may come off arrogant when preferring their 'mathematical' system of thought in order to approach things, NF's can be arrogant in finding their 'humanistic' Quest-alike approach to be more valuable and human, SP's can be arrogant in finding it's more worthy to stick around in the present, and an SJ can be arrogant in liking to preserve certain traditions
--- and so 'condemning' anything 'different' , and defending one's own 'wish'.

In that regard everybody is arrogant once expressing something led by a personal preference.

Felix

MBTI Type
INxJ
SOCIAL AWKWARDNESS x 3. It's just doesn't seem to budge.

Martin997

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1. i feel like finding someone whos interests would even be in the same galaxy as mine, is close to impossible. (you know when your pabbling about the patterns in our universe and everything in it to someone and they go "whats an uniwurst?"), sometimes i even wish i could find other peoples meaningless chit-chat interesting, i usually snap out of it quickly tho.

2. People not understanding that when i answer "uhm... nothing? im thinking" to the question "how are you feeling?" its not because im depressed/hurt etc. its just the way i roll! (my emotions are only for those who have the patience and skill to climb down to the depths of my inner-dungeon and defeat the dragons there)

3. oh the social situations... i dont like em, LOATHE chit-chat, but i can handle em with some awkward grace (and by grace i mean a one legged drunk hobo trying to breakdance)

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
oh the social situations... i dont like em, LOATHE chit-chat, but i can handle em with some awkward grace (and by grace i mean a one legged drunk hobo trying to breakdance)
z=

:party: